Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 447108 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1335 on: August 16, 2018, 09:09:05 am »

[snip]
It wouldn't be useful using him in anything fighting related anyway: he's so weak he can barely carry his own clothes without slowing down.
made me laugh more than it should :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 22, 2018, 07:08:06 pm »

(On my PC at least)
Pushing PrtSc fails to take a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress when playing Fullscreen in Standard Printmode. It takes a picture of whatever is behind dwarf fortress (desktop, other apps, etc) instead.
Switching to 2D Printmode enables PrtSc to see my Dwarf Fortress screen.

Playing in windowed modes Just Works.
What does Alt+PrtScr (screenshot active window) do? (Not sure what OS you're using. Might be Windows only.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:09:50 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 22, 2018, 08:40:29 pm »

(On my PC at least)
Pushing PrtSc fails to take a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress when playing Fullscreen in Standard Printmode. It takes a picture of whatever is behind dwarf fortress (desktop, other apps, etc) instead.
Switching to 2D Printmode enables PrtSc to see my Dwarf Fortress screen.

Playing in windowed modes Just Works.
What does Alt+PrtScr (screenshot active window) do? (Not sure what OS you're using. Might be Windows only.)
Windows 10.
Alt+PrtScr does the same thing. Windows button+PrtScr saves a picture of my desktop to a file.
Both of the above work just fine for DF screenshots since I changed to Print_Mode:2D.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 23, 2018, 02:30:22 pm »

Enemy soldiers will often have the symbol of their civilisation on some part of their armour.

Some will have it on their helmet, others on their breastplate. Not sure if it's a civilisation-level thing, like, every soldier from X civilisation will have their helmet decorated, while every soldier from Y civ has their breastplate decorated.

Pretty neat, I thought.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 24, 2018, 12:49:43 am »

Seems like bumping a platinum minecart into falling 6 or 7 magma can sometimes generate magma mist in the tile it just left. I'm not clear on the specific requirements; just moving a cart around undermagma isn't enough. Might be linked to being placed hanging above a cart that has magma in same tile for fraction of a step.

Also, rather less trivially, when a cart attempts to descend an upramp to (both valid and invalid) downramp and there is a minecart there, it doesn't descend(as expected). Unlike with ascending, this doesn't transfer the impulse to the lower cart (not expected), so the lower cart obtains some functionality of movable fps-friendly closed door.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 24, 2018, 02:55:20 pm »

Enemy soldiers will often have the symbol of their civilisation on some part of their armour.

Some will have it on their helmet, others on their breastplate. Not sure if it's a civilisation-level thing, like, every soldier from X civilisation will have their helmet decorated, while every soldier from Y civ has their breastplate decorated.

Pretty neat, I thought.
i hope that doesnt lead to confusion on the battlefield when you equip your dorfs with the armour of a previous defeated attacking party.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 25, 2018, 12:18:22 am »

Moody dwarves will reshape already-cut gems when setting them into their artifacts.

I had a mason begin acting unusually secretively; he holed up in a shop down in the quarries and began scrawling pictures of gemstones on the floor. So I told the manager to shape a couple emeralds; he chose to do so with a radiant-style cut. The mason grabbed them--

"This is a native gold armor stand. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with... emerald cut emeralds."

Makes you wonder why they insist so vehemently on the gemstones being pre-cut, eh?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 25, 2018, 03:49:59 am »

Pretty neat, I thought.
i hope that doesnt lead to confusion on the battlefield when you equip your dorfs with the armour of a previous defeated attacking party.

But it would be interesting if it meant that you can...... dress your soldiers up in armour with the symbol of the goblins on it, and send them to burn a nearby elf settlement, starting a war between the goblins and elves.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 25, 2018, 04:12:20 am »

You could probably do that by assuming a false identity now.
One wheel short of a wagon

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 25, 2018, 04:44:53 am »

Moody dwarves will reshape already-cut gems when setting them into their artifacts.

I had a mason begin acting unusually secretively; he holed up in a shop down in the quarries and began scrawling pictures of gemstones on the floor. So I told the manager to shape a couple emeralds; he chose to do so with a radiant-style cut. The mason grabbed them--

"This is a native gold armor stand. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with... emerald cut emeralds."

Makes you wonder why they insist so vehemently on the gemstones being pre-cut, eh?
as far as i know, the symbols on an artifact or the picture chiseled into a wall are chosen at random when you first look at them instead of in the moment they are made.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1345 on: August 25, 2018, 05:07:53 am »

Don't engravings show their subject matter on the tile they're displayed on?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 25, 2018, 06:43:39 am »

Don't engravings show their subject matter on the tile they're displayed on?
then it was only the artifacts and other items. the description of the item is first created when the item is inspected. that way dorfs can even have made pictures of events even before those events happened.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 26, 2018, 04:17:16 am »

Was looking up some of the deities my civilisation worships.

Turns out one of them once cursed someone to assume the form of a chinchilla-like monster every full moon.

Yep. That's certainly a curse, being a were-chinchilla.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 26, 2018, 05:30:09 am »

I've kind of had a mouse brute (beware its dust) take over the world and destroy all civilization apart from my own. It was a tiny island, but it counts.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:32:09 am by Adequate Swimmer »
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 27, 2018, 01:22:16 am »

I've kind of had a mouse brute (beware its dust) take over the world and destroy all civilization apart from my own. It was a tiny island, but it counts.

Is this a metaphor for the monopolization of the entertainment industry by disney corp?
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 148