Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183968 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #945 on: May 19, 2015, 11:58:17 pm »

Interestingly the Necromancy spell school has life-wards and detection spells which are mostly useful *against* undead.  And "enervation", which is a Necromancy ray of negative energy, isn't evil.  A "Necromancer" doesn't have to create undead, they can be a powerful force against the undead.  Or just enjoy shooting people with negative energy via enervation, which isn't evil... although... a victim killed by enervation becomes a free-willed wight, based on the negative energy rules.

What always bothered me, was that table top games of this genre almost never include the obvious use of magic to understand, use, and control LIFE, as opposed to death, and death magic.

I agree with you that necromancy should not immediately be considered evil, nor should the undead.  There are any number of reasons why a re-animated corpse might not be evil, especially if any vestiges of the original personality are there, such as with a lich. (For instance, consider the Buddhist tradition of ancient times of creating "Living Buddhas". It seems plausible for a very powerful cleric to create and maintain a powerful warding or blessing spell for an imperiled people by willfully becoming an undead and enshrining himself in such a fashion.)

Likewise, the "vivomancy" I wish was more frequently present in tabletop games could be used for unspeakable purposes, and not just really powerful healing and resurrection spells.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 20, 2015, 01:26:22 am »

D&D in general use the "planar" excuse for most things related to alignment.

In this case "negative energy" is associated with evil (not equals evil, but it's always the good clerics that channel positive "cure" while evil clerics channel negative "inflict" wounds).

But usually the raising dead = evulz goes back to most of the horror movie and witch hunt stuff and devil worshipping stuff, etc, I suppose. But take Planescape, I don't think the Dustmen are evil, and you sell your corpse to be raised and stuff after death. So it all comes down to stereotypes: if playing the Hero vs Evil Necromancer villain trope.

Despite that, I think there was a kind of "deathless" anti-undead that were infused with positive energy and defaulted to good? But I don't think there were any unintelligent "deathless" and it was more a Class than a category of animate corpse. I suppose if it was extended to all things necromantic, unintelligent deathless would go around giving flowers to little girls and petting puppies while not being controlled, just like skeleton can do good while controlled but just go LOLMURDERKILLOKTHXBYE when left on its own.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 20, 2015, 02:00:31 am »

As a general rule, I don't think undead/necromancy should be automatically be evil (a good example would be the use of necromancy by the Dunmer in TES, where being chosen to guard your family tomb is seen as a great honour, and the families highly venerates their ancestors, even if they are undead monstrosities), or Evil as in alignment-Evil. But in settings based on DnD and derivates, and it's mythology? Yeah, in those undead is definitely evil. See, undead aren't just some frankenstein-esque dead bodies brought back to life but by magic instead of lightning, they're walking scars in the natural world. They're not just "undead" as in an animated mass of dead matter, but actively "anti-life". Using such a thing "for good purposes" would be a Neutral act at best.

A case could be made for intelligent undead, I agree. But generally, I tend to think of it as the Negative Energy being an inherently corruptive force and that once you basically become a direct link to the Negative Energy plane, there won't be much left of your person that was like it was before. I've also thought (while I'm fairly expecting that this will lead to inconsistencies with the rest of the setting) that once you go undead, your soul is destroyed, and the Negative Energy sort of just seeps into the you-shaped hole in your "soul space", creating something that is very much like you, and definitely based on you, but also very different.

But yes, there are examples of individual exceptions where a person has been able to overcome the "corruption" of te Negative Energy and become a Good undead creature. Liches, at least. Probably vampires. And yeah, then there's the Baelnorn, the Good elven liches. I don't really like those at all, they reek of "special awesome Elven magic that enables us to do things you can't so we can be super special because elven magic!" and I don't think that is particularly interesting.

And lastly, there is the implication that one could potentially create the equivalent "Good" undead by using Positive Energy ( or perhaps Neutral by using both Positive and Negative energy and making sure the streams do not cross). I'm not sure this has been explored by any DnD setting in any particular way, unfortunately.

Fakedit: ninja'd by Sergius. Apparently it may have been explored?
Love, scriver~

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 20, 2015, 03:26:19 am »

In the Book of Exalted Deeds, there is a prestige class called Risen Martyr, which grants the Deathless type.
Deathless is a new creature type, describing creatures that have died but returned to a kind of spiritual life. They are similar in many ways to both living creatures and undead. However, while undead represent a mockery of life and a violation of the natural order of life and death, the deathless merely stave off the inevitability of death for a short time in order to accomplish a righteous purpose. While undead draw their power from the Negative Energy plane, the deathless are strongly tied to the Positive Energy plane, the birthplace of all souls. In fact, the deathless are little more than disincarnate souls, sometimes wrapped in material flesh, often incorporeal and hardly more substantial than a soul in its purest state.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 20, 2015, 04:01:56 am »

In other words, DnD tows the 'BUT MUH DEATH' line, therefore, by default, not-death is bad unless exceptions are specifically made.

If I ever DM'd a custom setting for DnD, I'd make a good (morally) Evil (negative energy) god - in other words a decent guy of a god that just happens to be tied to Negative Energy for Reasons (TM) - just to mess with preconceptions.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 20, 2015, 04:33:30 am »

What always bothered me, was that table top games of this genre almost never include the obvious use of magic to understand, use, and control LIFE, as opposed to death, and death magic.

Likewise, the "vivomancy" I wish was more frequently present in tabletop games could be used for unspeakable purposes, and not just really powerful healing and resurrection spells.

I was lucky enough to have played a game with "Life" magic, and actually explore it's use.  Most of it was just healing and buffs with some control type spells, but you could also do things like create temporary soulless beings and transfer souls, or turn people into monsters.  If you got spells from the divine tier, that humans can't actually cast, you could do things like make souls, a new genesis, or terraform.  It was also split between two schools, so it wan't even humanly possible to synergize the high level spells.  You can get around that being human issue, but it's risky.  I actually botched the first attempt, but managed not to kill myself.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 20, 2015, 05:23:13 am »

In other words, DnD tows the 'BUT MUH DEATH' line, therefore, by default, not-death is bad unless exceptions are specifically made.

If I ever DM'd a custom setting for DnD, I'd make a good (morally) Evil (negative energy) god - in other words a decent guy of a god that just happens to be tied to Negative Energy for Reasons (TM) - just to mess with preconceptions.
Sounds a bit like Wee Jas.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 20, 2015, 07:34:39 am »

GM dangled bait in front of our face and we took it.

Lich appears before us, hits us with a DC35 Mass Hold Person spell and then offers to fight us. If we win, we get his help, if we lose, it's gg.
Apparently he's making this one almost impossible to win, and has written a bunch of stuff in case we lose and become undead thralls.

I mean, that's cool. I'm glad we don't have a paladin. But still.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 20, 2015, 07:45:09 am »

I recall reading a greentext or something from /tg/ where a necromancer used the magic to communicate with his dead ancestors and past family members. No enslavement, just an old man who talks with his family beyond the grave. Can't find it.

Here's another relevant story I found to make up for it.
HERE
HERE IT IS AND YOU CAN ALL JUST BOW DOWN TO ME
WHEN YOU CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU WANT.
YOU FRIGGIN FIND IT.
*cough*
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:39 am »

I recall reading a greentext or something from /tg/ where a necromancer used the magic to communicate with his dead ancestors and past family members. No enslavement, just an old man who talks with his family beyond the grave. Can't find it.

Here's another relevant story I found to make up for it.
HERE
HERE IT IS AND YOU CAN ALL JUST BOW DOWN TO ME
WHEN YOU CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU WANT.
YOU FRIGGIN FIND IT.
*cough*
OH HEY, THAT'S THE ONE. NICE FIND!

...WHY ARE WE YELLING?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 20, 2015, 10:45:42 am »

And then Execute/Dumbo and Spehss_ were the ghosts.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 20, 2015, 10:50:19 am »

Despite that, I think there was a kind of "deathless" anti-undead that were infused with positive energy and defaulted to good? But I don't think there were any unintelligent "deathless" and it was more a Class than a category of animate corpse. I suppose if it was extended to all things necromantic, unintelligent deathless would go around giving flowers to little girls and petting puppies while not being controlled, just like skeleton can do good while controlled but just go LOLMURDERKILLOKTHXBYE when left on its own.

The Deathless are primarily an Eberron thingy.

Also, the rules never explicitly state what happens when unintelligent undead do when not controlled, whether they go all zombie apocalypse, or go dormant, or continue to follow the last order from when they were under control.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 20, 2015, 12:54:41 pm »

Also, the rules never explicitly state what happens when unintelligent undead do when not controlled, whether they go all zombie apocalypse, or go dormant, or continue to follow the last order from when they were under control.

Not sure on former editions, but 5th edition has a class that raises undead and controls them for a while, and can keep control of a maximum number per day, if he doesn't, they don't die or anything, just keep on going on their default behavior, which apparently is just shuffle their feet and attack everything on sight. Which I suppose is what evil dungeon keepers do when they populate their dungeons.

EDIT: I suppose "uncontrolled undead" would act as indicated by their monster entry, same as any random undead found in a dungeon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:59:49 pm by Sergius »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 20, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »

Not sure on former editions, but 5th edition has a class that raises undead and controls them for a while, and can keep control of a maximum number per day, if he doesn't, they don't die or anything, just keep on going on their default behavior, which apparently is just shuffle their feet and attack everything on sight. Which I suppose is what evil dungeon keepers do when they populate their dungeons.

EDIT: I suppose "uncontrolled undead" would act as indicated by their monster entry, same as any random undead found in a dungeon.

Mindless undead don't really seem to have much in the way of described default behavior either; or rather the default behavior of zombies and skeletons seems to be beong controlled by the spellcaster who created them
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 20, 2015, 01:36:34 pm »

Yeah, noticed that after some searching. The only reason they attack you in dungeons it's because the DM wants it to, or because it's stated in the encounter if it's a module, but nowhere does it say "skeletons hate the living and will attack them on sight" apparently.

Even a setting book like Forgotten Realms doesn't seem to specify. There's a "Tome of Necromancy" thing out there with some options but I don't think it's anything official, just some random joe's post in a forum that was transcribed.

So I guess the official position is "whatever the table agrees they do".
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 131