Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441153 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1080 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:02 am »

Hm... How do you craft bandages? I'm looking in my crafting menu and it's not there, nor does it appear to be in any of the workbenches. Was it removed with the last update?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 26, 2016, 11:25:51 am »

Fair, but, being able to mark food items as auto-eat or something would be nice.

Actually, for that matter (maybe as a mod, since it might be a bit of an odd fit with the rest of the game), setting conditions which will automatically consume a given food item would be interesting.

What year is this? How long have video games been made? Do employees migrate between companies? DO DEVS PLAY OTHER GAMES AT ALL?! It's not as if every company is coding in its own unique language. This isn't rocket science. This isn't a vacuum. Learn from others.

Flag item a, b, or c as category x and use category x if food <= famished. Or just assume all normal food without stat perks can be used to avoid starvation. The only time it would actually require some major processor time is if you have to eat every 5 seconds. Otherwise you just check for hunger once a minute, if even that often.

Every coder is testing on god mode and they don't do any other quality control. This is a 1.0 release?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:28:13 am by BigD145 »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 26, 2016, 11:34:47 am »

Yeah, I did casual for the same reason. The only games that got starvation even remotely right were some of the survival-shooter mods and games where you just need to pop a piece of food once ever few hours of game time.

I seem to be weird. I wouldn't have minded casual mode, but having it tied to "lose your stuff" mode makes it a bit...eh. It seems like out of Minecraft, Terraria, and Starbound, Minecraft is the only one I can actually tolerate dropping everything on death, even though it's the only one that doesn't give you the option to not lose your inventory. If they ever do add that option, it's still the only one of the three where I'd likely leave that option on.

Though it should be noted that Minecraft also has the least equipment progression of the three. If there were dozens of different tiers of weapon and armor, it'd be a lot harder to put up with. :V

Honestly though, in singleplayer the hunger system becomes intolerable anyway, because why the fuck can't I pause. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 26, 2016, 11:36:26 am »

Hm... How do you craft bandages? I'm looking in my crafting menu and it's not there, nor does it appear to be in any of the workbenches. Was it removed with the last update?
It got bumped up a construction tier; you can't craft it until you have an Apothecary station, which requires an Engineer's Table, which requires Tungsten, which requires beating the boss at the end of Erchius Station.  Soo...yeah.  Until you can beat it, you have to make do with bandages you find in containers and salves you can make with basic materials.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 26, 2016, 11:57:35 am »

The whole ~survival~ aspects just seem tacked on. More a thing to put on your feature list then something that can actualy be enjoyable in a game like starbound. Its trivially easy to get food anyway, to the point the whole hunger/food system thing just seems like an annoyance you have to deal with, rather than something that is an interesting part of gameplay. Thankfuly at least now there's an incentive to craft food since they give bonuses to your stats, but the whole hunger system itself is just kinda bleh and trivial.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 26, 2016, 12:19:09 pm »

The whole ~survival~ aspects just seem tacked on.

That is because... It is tacked on.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 26, 2016, 12:20:27 pm »

Is he going to release the information for it... or?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 26, 2016, 12:31:48 pm »

Before I got a fridge food was a bit of an issue. Now I have more food than I know what to do with.

I'm progressing a bit slower than the rest of you guys, but I just got my first crew member... a janitor. For some reason even with 6-7 colonists it takes a while for a quest to pop up, and when it does I have to drop everything I'm doing and rush over to them or else the quest will disappear.

I do wish colonists were a tad more intelligent. I put beds in every room but they still insist on sleeping in every bed but their own, and they will gladly leave doors wide open for monsters to get them. Gates also defeat them for some reason.

One thing I noticed when furnishing a room with generic stuff, the colonists arrive with barely any themed clothing. When I put in some themed furniture for a quest the guy who arrived was decked out in themed clothes. I tried to do the same without a relevant quest but I added a weapon rack type object in his room and a similar guy appeared with a weapon.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 26, 2016, 12:41:38 pm »

What colonist you get is directly determined by what you put in their rooms. There's a way to specifically get what you want, down to species and profession, by what furniture you put in there. You can also get decked out guards in top-tier armor by putting in durasteel furniture and a "combat" type item like a weapons chest.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 26, 2016, 12:53:14 pm »

That's actually pretty cool. Is there a list of what furniture would give what benefits? Right now my colonist's rooms are pretty small since I didn't think I'd need so much furniture... guess I'm going to have a mass eviction.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 26, 2016, 01:35:37 pm »

That's actually pretty cool. Is there a list of what furniture would give what benefits? Right now my colonist's rooms are pretty small since I didn't think I'd need so much furniture... guess I'm going to have a mass eviction.
http://starbounder.org/Tenant

When my friends boarded my ship and asked me why I was hoarding so much junk, I pointed them to that. You need all that junk to get the colonists you want.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 26, 2016, 01:47:26 pm »

Of course as I am fearing... there might be... no point to most of them (or... even more dreadfully... all of them)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 26, 2016, 02:01:54 pm »

Erm, I just started a new character and got to the Hub for the first time... and I can'tr help but notice that some of the NPCs that I had unlocked with my other character have already been unlocked in this new playthrough. Is this normal? Is it possible for me to go to the coordinates my settlement is on and find my stuff all there? If so that'd be a neat way to transfer items between characters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 26, 2016, 02:03:08 pm »

Erm, I just started a new character and got to the Hub for the first time... and I can'tr help but notice that some of the NPCs that I had unlocked with my other character have already been unlocked in this new playthrough. Is this normal? Is it possible for me to go to the coordinates my settlement is on and find my stuff all there? If so that'd be a neat way to transfer items between characters.
If it's on your own computer / server then yeah.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 26, 2016, 02:31:06 pm »

Is anyone else having serious problems completing the dash tech obstacle course?  Or is this another place where my nerve damage is just going to make playing this game flat out impossible?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 130