Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441029 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1200 on: July 29, 2016, 02:01:58 am »

Why is
the Erchius Mining Facility
so goddamn difficult?
Black lives matter.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1201 on: July 29, 2016, 02:30:36 am »

Why is
so goddamn difficult?

Because SUCK IT! That's why. At least, that's the impression I get. Apparently some people find it easy. I had to use /admin to get through it and get to the actual game (which is surprisingly fun, once you get past all the tedious crap at the beginning which gates off the majority of the gameplay).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 29, 2016, 02:31:06 am »

Why is
so goddamn difficult?
I haven't played it in its current iteration, but last I checked the only good way through it is to have some ranged weapons. Craft hunting spears if you have them. And above all, you don't actually need to fight anything. Find a way past the enemies and get to the boss. Rope helps in the cavernous areas, and during the boss fight as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 29, 2016, 03:20:10 am »

What is this? The language police? Is Captain America here?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't hold back, umiman, tell us what you really think.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 29, 2016, 04:01:58 am »

Why is
so goddamn difficult?
That's pretty simple, actually.
The mooks.
Now, the damage they inflict is bad, but not too horrible, the main problem is their ranged attack, it pierces, has good range, does good damage, can't be cancelled but can be delayed and the hitbox for it is juuust longer than when you think it would have stopped, and is a continuous blast, it's the worst thing to pounce on an unsuspecting player with likely bad gear.

The best solution is really to get some good armour (I just made my racial floran armour), pack up on salves, then attack from range or use something that can kill a bunch of the mooks and lets you get out of tight spots (Personally, I got an electric broadsword that had a blink special which teleported me horizontally while leaving a damaging explosion behind, it one shot the mooks, so I could run rings around them.).
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1205 on: July 29, 2016, 04:04:49 am »

Why is
so goddamn difficult?
The mooks.
Now, the damage they inflict is bad, but not too horrible, the main problem is their ranged attack, it pierces, has good range, does good damage, can't be cancelled but can be delayed and the hitbox for it is juuust longer than when you think it would have stopped, and is a continuous blast, it's the worst thing to pounce on an unsuspecting player with likely bad gear.

The best solution is really to get some good armour (I just made my racial floran armour), pack up on salves, then attack from range or use something that can kill a bunch of the mooks and lets you get out of tight spots (Personally, I got an electric broadsword that had a blink special which teleported me horizontally while leaving a damaging explosion behind, it one shot the mooks, so I could run rings around them.).

The problem with all that is at this point in the game, you're stuck with whatever is available on your first planet. No tungsten, and whether you have a good weapon is down to luck. I wouldn't have a problem with this mission if you had the option to wait and do it after you've spent time grinding for better gear, but you don't have that option. You can't even make bandages. So yeah, if you're lucky, you could have an easy time. If you're unlucky, you're screwed unless you're incredibly skilled or cheat (YAY CHEATING!).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 29, 2016, 04:08:59 am »

The mooks are a pain. First two tries I got killed by the mooks.

Third try I killed it. No techs. No armor. No food buff. 4 bandages.
Apparently I was really fast, because I damaged it everytime before it spawned mooks on that 3d run. Not a single mook. The 4 bandages were needed because I ran through it's laser a few times (like I said, no techs, can't blink).

I keep hearing people say they can't make bandages. But you can make salve just fine from plant fibres, and bandages don't seem to be a very rare drop, I found enough of them on the starter planet.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:12:39 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 29, 2016, 04:11:21 am »

Oh, I was talking about the mooks on the way to the crystal monster, the mooks in the actual battle are more speed bumps than anything.
Alan help.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 29, 2016, 04:14:40 am »

Oh, I was talking about the mooks on the way to the crystal monster, the mooks in the actual battle are more speed bumps than anything.
You mean the big guys with the hammers? Or the puke throwing mutated human mooks?

For the last bit, with the guys with hammers, I did make good use of the outpost of friendlies to the left side of the level. Just lure them into the slaughterhouse.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 29, 2016, 04:19:24 am »

You mean the big guys with the hammers? Or the puke throwing mutated human mooks?

For the last bit, with the guys with hammers, I did make good use of the outpost of friendlies to the left side of the level. Just lure them into the slaughterhouse.
Oh dear god this is just getting confusing now.
But no, I'm talking about the puke throwing guys, the hammer dudes are dangerous, but they're a lot easier to predict and they're normally alone, meanwhile, the puke throwers have all of the problems I just listed and are normally in groups, and do damage on touch, so you can get backed into a corner easily.
Alan help.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 29, 2016, 05:11:52 am »

Why is
so goddamn difficult?

Because they shifted the whole thing back a tier. Notice how you can't get any armor better than iron at this point in the game? Before they reshuffled the whole outpost quest line, they had a FUCKTON of quests and far more things to do before the mining facility.

Hint: the quest immediately preceding the mining facility was basically "go get steel gear" and such. As far as I can tell, the mining facility isn't any harder or easier than it was, it's just forced on you earlier.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1211 on: July 29, 2016, 06:08:26 am »

Brought the server down to update. Should be back soon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 29, 2016, 06:13:53 am »

Why is
so goddamn difficult?
Hint: the quest immediately preceding the mining facility was basically "go get steel gear" and such. As far as I can tell, the mining facility isn't any harder or easier than it was, it's just forced on you earlier.

Actually it is far easier or possibly even harder depending on your views. The Boss can instantly kill you now BUT his beams are significantly slower.

I think what kills me about the game's new change is that you can't charge jump anymore... the game is against you having ANY sort of speed.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 29, 2016, 06:19:57 am »

yeaaaaaa.... Neon's saying that cause he watched me spit and curse multiple times when trying to navigate a volcanic planet.  Kept accidentally sprinting from habit, then not being able to jump in the air resulted in me falling straight into lava lakes.
Nom nom nom

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 29, 2016, 06:26:54 am »

Why is
so goddamn difficult?
The mooks.

The problem with all that is at this point in the game, you're stuck with whatever is available on your first planet. No tungsten, and whether you have a good weapon is down to luck. I wouldn't have a problem with this mission if you had the option to wait and do it after you've spent time grinding for better gear, but you don't have that option. You can't even make bandages. So yeah, if you're lucky, you could have an easy time. If you're unlucky, you're screwed unless you're incredibly skilled or cheat (YAY CHEATING!).

You can leave the starter planet and go to any of the other planets in the system, which should most/all have tungsten; the FTL drive is only necessary for inter-system travel. The mining facility has a guaranteed-spawn shotgun that completely trivializes the mooks. The first also means that you can upgrade your Inventor's Table and build an Apothecary for bandages.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 130