Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 52388 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #315 on: March 24, 2015, 03:26:44 am »

No, wait, I just wanted to be dorfed. Not as an overseer.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:53 am »

Wow... orphan fort, going once, going twice  :)

I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 24, 2015, 08:21:16 am »

I COULD do it, and it would be an honour. But I cannot guarantee a report. Besides, english is not my native tongue so, even if I am able to play it, it would be a boring report. With no images guaranteed.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #318 on: March 24, 2015, 02:03:37 pm »

I made TheKaspa and TheCheeseMaker into dwarves on my turn.

Next up should be Blackops35, then WorkingOgretime. Has anyone sent them messages?

...anyway, if it comes to it, I asked for a turn next. ;)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Blackops35

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY_SIZE:18:0:50000]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 24, 2015, 03:02:15 pm »

Cripes! I just read the new overseer posts and now I'm up? Alright, I'll start my posts tomorrow, or notify you if I'm unable.

Sorry for the delay! I'll get right on it then... (Unless something comes up)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2015, 06:47:19 pm »

Wait, what? I still want to play my turn.  Blackops35, if you've started your turn I can wait, but if not, I'm up next.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Blackops35

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY_SIZE:18:0:50000]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2015, 09:06:33 pm »

I've litterally just looked at the map, so feel free to start up your turn.

More chaos, more fun.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2015, 12:04:34 am »

Felsite... didn't go so smooth.  First I know of things amiss, I hears shoutin'... and that ain't like these dwarves (well, except in the drinkin' hall, and that's different).  Seems that not only did poor Nish finally kick the bucket, but Sarvesh went with him.

I have no idea how the hell he managed to dehydrate, because he were in a major hallway!

I died.

I drifted upwards to the great Mountainhome in the sky.  It was there that I met Zes As Ral, the great god of the mountain, and the goddess Ertal, queen of fortresses.  However, as I went to take my place at their side, they spoke to me.

Sarvesh, The Cheese Maker,  you come from a land of sorrow.  Poor leadership and destructive behaviors have ended your life.  And now, they threaten to destroy your home of Shadowgraves.  We have made a deal with a living dwarf in your home.  He is ready to come join us here.  Now you must take his place.  His spirit will join us in the afterlife, and you will inhabit his body.  Return now.  Take command of fortress.  Save your kingdom.

As soon as they finished speaking, I began to drift downwards, back towards Earth.  As I descended, I heard Ertal speak one last time to me.

By the way, the body you are taking has his ability to grasp somewhat impaired.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Somewhat impaired?  SOMEWHAT IMPAIRED?  He's missing his entire hand!

Whatever.

The first step I needed to do is find that last overseer, Iamblichos, the man who let me die.  I walked up to him and demanded to be put in charge of running the fortress.  I couldn't really understand what he said through his accent, but he handed me a purple hat, so I think that makes me the the new overseer.

I guess I was gone for a couple of months, so I decided to take a tour of the fortress, in case anything changed. For the most part, nothing has changed.  The fortress is fairly easy to navigate, and its design makes sense.  I do, however, have a few issues.

First stop is the front entrance.  Nothing that's really an issue here, but notice how the road that everyone must take is bright green?  That is not because the road is green, no.  Every single green tile has been puked on.  Each merchant who visits Doomforests, and anybody who tries to enter must step through about 50 meters of vomit just to reach our front gates.

My next stop is the refuse stockpile, or should I say refuse stockpiles.  We have three, all of which are filled to the brim with body parts of every single creature you can think of.

My drawing here doesn't explain very much, but this looks like a normal, unfinished pump stack.  It goes down about 160 z-levels to the magma sea.  Why it's here, I don't know.  I also don't know why it was so vital to have magma on the surface that we needed to bring it up from the center of the Earth.

My last stop is the third cavern layer.  While all the caverns are breached to some degree, this one is by far worst.  Notice how there is a bridge on the left side.  A 1 by 1 bridge.  Is the bridge open or closed?  We'll find out when a forgotten beast decides to eat everyone.

Overall, not horrible.  I will need to make a few changes, but I have a good feeling about my new life here as overseer of Shadowgraves.

Now that I've said that, I probably need to be ready for a flying, steel forgotten beast, or something like that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:25:07 am by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2015, 04:53:53 am »

That was a very enjoyable read, TheCheeseMaker. :D
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2015, 09:08:42 pm »

My drawing here doesn't explain very much, but this looks like a normal, unfinished pump stack.  It goes down about 160 z-levels to the magma sea.  Why it's here, I don't know.  I also don't know why it was so vital to have magma on the surface that we needed to bring it up from the center of the Earth.

Why Shouldn't we have a magma pump stack, only missing the actual pumps? Magma makes everything more fun.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2015, 12:47:06 am »

The Life and Times of TheCheeseMaker, Reborn, Spring of 108

I have declared myself overseer for literally one hour when the king bursted into my office.

What happened next was too beautiful to be spoiled by mere words, so I am going to let the facts speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, the king pulled the 'wrong' lever, and was killed by a cave in.  Dorsidwarf II declared himself king and demanded a royal bedroom, throne room, dining hall, and maloseum.  Luckily for him, rooms with exactly those characteristics just opened up (minus the tomb). As long as he doesn't make any ridiculous demands, everyone should get along swimmingly.

---

My second official act as overseer was to provide myself with new accommodations.

The rooms may seem large (and more lavish than the kings when they're finished), but we need them.  It is absolutely vital to the survival of this fortress that I have my own royal dining room.

---

I've decided that what we're going to do over the next couple of months is consolidate all of the forges and smelters into one location, just above the magma sea.  Right now, stockpiles, forges, smelters, and workshops are strewn about haphazardly all across the fortress.  Once my design is complete, however, the only major hauling that needs to be done is moving the completed metal good.  Right away, of course, we ran into a small issue:

---

Walking around, I admire the various engravings on the wall.  Each picture tells a story, one of friendship, or loss, or war.  Anything could be carved into the wall.  One in particular catches my eye

It's good to know that long after the dwarven civilization has crumbled, it will still be remembered that a dwarf slashed out a twilight crone's left eyelid.

---

Chaoseed has started to pace around the fortress.  I don't know what his problem is, everyone else is at least moderately happy.  Eventually, he decided to start a fist fight with a chicken.

He claimed to have no regrets.

---

An elven cavaran, along with a diplomat arrived today!

Elven diplomat:  You have disrespected the trees in this area

Me: Nice to meet you, I'm TheCheeseMaker.

Elf: If you continue your wicked and vile ways, our kingdom will have no choice but to wage war on your stunted kind.

Me: Wow, I definitely wouldn't want that to happen.

Elf: Let me make a proposition for you.  If you limit yourself to cut down no more than 106 trees this year, our races will see another year of peace.

Me: Hmm, that sounds tempting, but allow me to provide an alternative solution to our small predicament here.

Needless to say, we do not have a tree-cutting limit this year.

---

Work on the forges continues, significantly less annoying now that I've decided to make only the forges above the magma sea, not the stockpiles too.

---

Migrants arrived today.  I was the first person to greet them, saying, "Welcome citizens, to the great fortress of Shadowgraves, the pride of the dwarves.  Do any of you happen to be skilled armorers?"

No one was.

"That's disappointing.  Unfortunately, all other jobs that a dwarf could possibly have are already taken, and so I've drafted all of you into the military.  Also, any animals that you brought with you are going to be slaughtered."

I guess I'll have to train an armorer.

---

Chaoseed decided to attack a hunter today. (Note to self: if I ever throw a tantrum, do not attack a legendary marksdwarf).

He was fine, the hunter decided to dodge all of his attacks, rather than fighting back.  However, the crime was witnessed, and chaoseed stood accused of disorderly conduct.  Being the overseer, it fell to me to convict him.

For the crime of disorderly conduct, I convict

No one seemed very happy with my decision.

---

The rest of spring went fairly smoothly.  The dutchess had some problems figuring out where to put a sweet pod:

and a carpenter organized a party at a zinc chain

but nobody else showed up.

---

Finally! It is finished!  Allow me to introduce you to our new forges!

For our grand opening, everyone gets a free tour!  First the top left, where we have our smelters, as well as our stockpiles for the ore of zinc.  At the top middle, we find the adamantine stockpile and a craftdwarf workshop.  On the top right, we have our metal bar/coal stockpile (we no longer need coal except for making steel, but we don't have very much iron anyway).  On the bottom right, we have the magma forges.  The middle bottom we have the ore for any other material besides zinc or adamantine (we have none at the moment).  Finally, the bottom left, where we have the wood furnaces (again for making charcoal, but it's fairly unhelpful at the moment).

---

Well, that wraps up spring.  It was a quiet season, which gave me enough time to finish everything I wanted to.  Maybe the next season will be more exciting.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:22 pm »

The Life and Times of TheCheeseMaker, Reborn, Spring of 108

Me: Oh, just a normal, innocent lever, I want it to help with sealing the caverns off.
What happened next was too beautiful to be spoiled by mere words, so I am going to let the facts speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, the king pulled the 'wrong' lever, and was killed by a cave in.  Dorsidwarf II declared himself king and demanded a royal bedroom, throne room, dining hall, and maloseum.  Luckily for him, rooms with exactly those characteristics just opened up (minus the tomb). As long as he doesn't make any ridiculous demands, everyone should get along swimmingly.

I knew that lever would come in use eventually: I was lucky during my turn: we had enough gems to keep up with the king's demands. Please do remember to reset the Ash Hammer, in case another noble dwarf needs to pull the Totally Innocent Lever.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2015, 12:21:44 am »

The Life and Times of TheCheeseMaker, Reborn, Summer of 108

Well, spring went by pretty easily, and normally sieges don't happen until at least fall, so I think summer should be fairly quiet as well.

Dammit.

Behold, the might of the goblin armies!

It's probably just a bandit siege.  No matter, send in the militia!

One axe lord, who a previous overseer suspected was a vampire, distinguishes himself by punching one goblin in the face so hard that it exploded into gore, and then proceeded to hack various limbs off of the survivors.  I don't care if he's a vampire or not, that was badass. 

And just like that, the siege ended almost as soon as the fighting began.

---

The human caravan arrived today.

This time the road they cross is covered in vomit and blood.

We trade some meals for all the metal and cloth they have, as well as some food.  Nothing much to report.

---

A mason was taken by a strange mood today, let's hope he makes something good.

---

I have the miners digging for adamantine.  I want to be ready for when our weapon and armorsmiths become legendary and we can begin producing some masterwork weapons.  It's a really intense process.  Each piece that is mined is second-guessed, and you know that one mistake, one wrong designation will bring about the death of us all.

The forgotten beast shouldn't cause too much of a problem, as it's trapped in the third cavern layer (probably, I'm still not super-confident about the bridge yet).

---

I design a new masonry area to save hauling time between the stockpiles and the workshops.

---

Chaoseed is walking around without paying attention to where he's going again.  I give him his own office and dining room to try to help cheer him up, but I fear the worst.

---

Migrants arrived today.  Once again, they didn't have a quality armorer, and everybody was drafted into the military.

---

It's a pretty snazzy statue.

Wait, that statue depicts the founding of Shadowgraves, and its title is The Aching Grave.

I feel like he's trying to make a political statement, but I can't tell exactly what he's trying to say.

---

-------------------

Events of the 22nd of Malacite

The drawbridge lowered.  Four dwarves stepped into the caverns.  It was nearly impossible to see anything, the only light coming from the dim glow of the magma pools to the north and to the east.  Giant rock pillars and mushrooms taller than the tallest trees cast enormous shadows that blackened an already dark landscape.

A roar was heard to the east, near the magma pool.  The four dwarves set out, unarmed and without protection.  Simply navigating through the darkness was a challenge, and quickly the three recruits lost themselves in the maze, separated from the only competent fighter among them, Maxcat.

After stopping to rest for a brief moment, Vabok looked ahead.  He was taken aback for a moment, as it seemed the ground itself was moving.  But then he realized what was happening.  They had found the beast they were looking for.  The back of its shell was made up of hard, rough rock, and was covered in the same moss and dirt as the rest of the cavern, making it nearly impossible to see.  The shell looked impossible to pierce, especially without weapons.

The front of the beast was what truly made it a monstrosity.  While the body looked similar to a large snake, when it turned to face them, they saw that it had no face, only a gaping mouth and row after row of razor-sharp teeth. The beast arched its neck and head like a cobra, and the dwarves saw its underbelly, covered in shining, black scales.

The three dwarves didn't stand a chance.  Like a dart, the worm bit both of Vabok's companions on the shoulder, causing them both to collapse in pain.  Vabok managed to attack a few times, but its shell was too hard, and its attacks were too quick, and soon the beast caught his punch with his mouth, and ripped his hand away from his body.

Tears welled up in Vabok's eyes, as he realized that these were his final moments on Earth.

But then, he arrived.

Maxcat, seeing the beast was distracted by the recruits, leaped onto the monster's back and with and an animal ferocity, bit the straight though the creature's shell

The creature let out a shriek of pain and turned to face the commander.  The creature arched it's head and neck and struck once, with enough speed and strength to instantly kill a lesser dwarf.  But this was Maxcat, commander of the greatest militia in the world, legendary throughout the world for his martial prowess.

He easily dodged the the first strike of the creature by jumping backwards.  And when it struck for a second time, he deftly dodged to the right, then quickly skipped back so he could attack the beast.  With all the strength he had, Maxcat lifted his fist and dealt a crushing blow to the back of its head, killing the monster instantly.

The wounded dwarves stared in shock, eyes darting back and forth between the corpse of the beast and their commander.

Maxcat looked down upon his fallen foe with disgust, his once pale blue armor now glowing red against the light of the magma.  He spat and walked back to the fortress without uttering a single word.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:23:40 am by TheCheeseMaker »

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2015, 03:49:45 am »

Chaoseed has started to pace around the fortress.  I don't know what his problem is, everyone else is at least moderately happy.  Eventually, he decided to start a fist fight with a chicken.

"UUUUGH. I can't belive this fortress sometimes. What? What's that? You want a piece of this, you COCK?...I mean...HEN?"

He claimed to have no regrets.

"I have no regrets."

Very entertaining updates, TheCheeseMaker. :D

Working Ogretime

• Bay Watcher
  • SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 28, 2015, 06:59:58 am »

But the real question is:
Is Vabok going to be okay?

"Winter is upon you."

They could not have chosen a more menacing way to say that.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26