Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491380 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2235 on: June 22, 2017, 06:41:02 am »

Aside: Even if you only buy Warhammer 2, I suspect that when the combined campaign map gets released you will be able to play as Bretonnia as they were released as a free faction. Whether Bretonnia has a presence in the Warhammer 2 campaign we don't know yet. Though lorewise Bretonnia does have a presence in the Southlands with some crusaderstate-like settlements.
I think CA has said you only get the combined campaign map if you own both games (and, later, also if you own games 1 and 3, without needing #2).

I couldn't remember exactly. Here is an excert from the Warhammer 2 F.A.Q that clears the point.
Do I need the original game to play Total War: WARHAMMER II?
No, you don’t need the first game in the trilogy in order to play WARHAMMER II. However, if you do own the first game as well as the WARHAMMER II, you’ll also be able to choose to play on a huge new combined campaign map (see below). So owners of both games will have three large and different campaign maps to choose from.

So it is as you say; You need to own both Warhammer 1 and 2 to play on the combined map.

@BuriBuriZaemon: The campaign in Warhammer: Total War is rather light on story with an eventual invasion by the forces of Chaos headed by Archaon. After that is dealt with the world continues on in whatever state it is left in with factions most likely going to war against each other now the big Chaos threat has, maybe, been defeated. (When Archaon shows up, all Order factions (Dwarfs, Empire etc) get a large bonus to diplomacy, banding together against Chaos. Afterwards the bonus is lost and most factions devolve into wars against each other).

In Warhammer 2 the campaign has a much more developed story. The vortex created by the High Elves millenia ago to syphon away excess magic has begun to destabilize. Each faction has a number of missions to achieve to complete rituals designed to either stabilize or destroy the vortex. This will most likely mean each faction will have to send armies all over the place to specific locations to complete these missions.

In Warhammer lore the vortex was created to help stem the original invasion of the Warhammer world by huge hordes of Daemons of Chaos. By draining away the magic the daemons are unable to materialize in the world except close to the north and south pole. It has not been mentioned whether any daemons will make an appearance in Warhammer 2.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: June 22, 2017, 06:49:28 am »

The concept of time doesn't exist within the games. Hell, the concept of time is very vague even in the lore while being completely nonexistent within the realm of chaos.

So you can put it whenever you like.

There's seriously no time in the game. There are no beginning or end dates. No one dies of old age. Every campaign is stand alone. The only stories are those you write in your head.

Even in the Lore it can feel like the world is in this perpetual state of stasis... I mean things happen, but nothing happens.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: June 22, 2017, 06:53:33 am »

The concept of time doesn't exist within the games. Hell, the concept of time is very vague even in the lore while being completely nonexistent within the realm of chaos.

So you can put it whenever you like.

There's seriously no time in the game. There are no beginning or end dates. No one dies of old age. Every campaign is stand alone. The only stories are those you write in your head.

Even in the Lore it can feel like the world is in this perpetual state of stasis... I mean things happen, but nothing happens.
Because that was very much the case. Then GW decided to throw it all out the window to bring out Age of Sigmar and it's maximum copyright names. AoS is actually decent, but the names? Fyreslayers? Orruks? Aelves?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:37 pm »

The game and all its dlc is on an okay-ish sale at Steam right now.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: June 22, 2017, 01:15:37 pm »

The game and all its dlc is on an okay-ish sale at Steam right now.

From what is shown on the Steam store the sale is -66% off for Warhammer 1 and -33% off for all the DLC packs.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: June 22, 2017, 01:43:33 pm »

I have to say, this 3 games as 1 is a worse trend than splitting the last movie in a series into multiple parts. Fuck you Creative Assembly, you've gone from being one of my favorite developers to one of my most hated.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: June 22, 2017, 02:37:18 pm »

I've said it before, but yeah I'm fully on board with it.
I hated CA for releasing Attilla as a 'Game-priced Standalone', but a bundle of players have recently turned it around, saying it is actually a game in its own right.

I don't think you can hold them to a standard of "One game per time period" or even "One game per setting". It's more like 'One game per X man-hours'.
WTW is a full-sized game to me.
I expect W:2TW to be a full sized game as well. It's not like we won't get new maps, models, playstyles and mechanics. That's more than people expect from AAA FPSs nowadays.

If they disappoint me there I'll feel free to join the hateclub. But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, at least for now.

Went through your previous posts here, and can't actually see whether or not you've even played the game yet. Have you?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: June 22, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »

I got it today on sale!!! Wooo. The 3 games as 1 thing is not specifically why I have acquired a distaste for CA, but it contributes on principle alone. Once I get into the meat of TW:W, I'll back with a hailstorm of hate or a halo of praise.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: June 22, 2017, 03:22:20 pm »

I think the reason it's getting split is basically because Warhammer is effing huge.

Like, the Storm of Chaos campaign is a whole damned game, and a game's worth of, well, game.

The Vortex of Ulthuan campaign is a entirely different game, and another game's worth of game.

Sure, they slot together.

But that's basically two games of game in one bigass map.

Like... Bloodmoon, and Tribunal for Morrowind.

Game-costing expansions that add a game's of content.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

Whatever, I'll buy TW1 and start the DL of it today. 66% when I'm planning on LPing TW2 when it comes out is damn good.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: June 22, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »

Again, are there people who truly felt that they didn't get enough content for the price they paid for the first game? Sans any dlc shenanigans, I easily had 1,5 to 2 hours of entertainment per dollar with the base game (+the free faction). That's not so bad imo, but I'm not gonna shell out for the dlc because I do think those are too pricey for what they are.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:46 pm »

Not to mention that the second game uses all the framework from the first game and much of its content. Meaning it is many times cheaper to make than the first game.

It really isn't the "Well, it took as much development as the first time... So we should charge as much as the first time" that some people are making it out to be defensively.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:50:02 pm by Neonivek »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:27 pm »

If they didn't reuse parts from Warhammer 1, merging the two would probably be harder and they would be just creating more work for themselves for little benefit. I'm sure the basics of Skyrim was built upon stuff from Oblivion and even Morrowind.

I would suggest that by having the basic framework already done we are seeing the benefits of this in the more detailed campaign plot, addition of cinematics for campaign events, more unique race mechanics and things like the fortress battles for the gates in Ulthuan and the ruin looting mini-quest system. From the announcement of Warhammer 1 in April 2015, I think it's reasonable to believe the game had been in development for at least a year previously.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: June 22, 2017, 11:09:13 pm »

If they didn't reuse parts from Warhammer 1, merging the two would probably be harder and they would be just creating more work for themselves for little benefit.

I don't know how it is possible that they didn't reuse parts from Warhammer 1 given this isn't a sequel and there is supposed to be cross compatibility...

I mean... The Fall of the Samurai reused parts from Shogun 2 total war.

This isn't even going from Skyrim to Oblivion... This is going from Skyrim to the Dragon DLC...  New Location.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:10:58 pm by Neonivek »

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: June 23, 2017, 09:46:19 am »

If they didn't reuse parts from Warhammer 1, merging the two would probably be harder and they would be just creating more work for themselves for little benefit.

I don't know how it is possible that they didn't reuse parts from Warhammer 1 given this isn't a sequel and there is supposed to be cross compatibility...

I mean... The Fall of the Samurai reused parts from Shogun 2 total war.

This isn't even going from Skyrim to Oblivion... This is going from Skyrim to the Dragon DLC...  New Location.
Oblivion came before Skyrim.

If Total War Warhammer 2 came out before TW1 and managed to also come out later, I'd buy it on the grounds of time travelers being bloody awesome.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: June 23, 2017, 07:31:06 pm »

Wow.

The Vampire Counts are trash against a high-end Dwarf army.

And the AI thinks 2 armies of Skeletons and Zombies with a side of a minor garrison beat a Dwarf army at the high end.

6.4 k dead.

Eighty-two Dawi fallen.

I don't think I've had this much fun in years.

The Ironbreakers are amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 277