Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491513 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2640 on: August 25, 2017, 04:21:36 pm »

The next video featuring Dark Elf gameplay is up. A battle between the Dark Elves and High Elves it shows off the various units of the Dark Elves as well as the bombardment abilities granted by the nearby Black Ark on the campaign map (Like bombardments in Fall of the Samurai) and a few spells of the lore of Dark Magic from Malekith.
Did they mention that they have dynamic terrain now? That high elf camp got flattened once the armies started running through it.
This has always been a thing. Regular maps in Warhammer have obstacles that can be destroyed by marching through them such as farm fences, stalls in the marketplace, etc. They just didn't have that many of them cause the map designers were lazy.

This was also a thing in Rome 2 and Attila. In fact, it was a pretty big deal in Attila as they would impede movespeed during sieges while your armies had to march through them. If you zoomed in close, you could see your units hop over fences before breaking them or plowing into the marketplace stands or whatever. Fun times.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: August 25, 2017, 04:25:15 pm »

This has always been a thing. Regular maps in Warhammer have obstacles that can be destroyed by marching through them such as farm fences, stalls in the marketplace, etc. They just didn't have that many of them cause the map designers were lazy.

This was also a thing in Rome 2 and Attila. In fact, it was a pretty big deal in Attila as they would impede movespeed during sieges while your armies had to march through them. If you zoomed in close, you could see your units hop over fences before breaking them or plowing into the marketplace stands or whatever. Fun times.
The most recent historical title I've played was Shogun 2, so that's why I hadn't noticed this before.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: August 25, 2017, 04:38:45 pm »

Incidentally, Attila also has the ability to set an entire forest ablaze.

Ahh, what I would do to have that in Warhammer. To incinerate all the Elves...

Attila's fire mechanics were so damn good. I had so much fun tactically setting fire to entire quadrants of a city or a forest that contained units.

I once had a battle where I placed my onagers just inside the edge of a forest and had them shoot into a city from there. One of the onagers hit a tree in front of it, setting fire to the entire forest they were in. Fun times.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: August 25, 2017, 05:53:39 pm »

I wish some of the Athel Loren maps were even more heavily forested.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 25, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »

Troops flattening doodads has been around for a bit. In Empire: Total War your troops would vault over fences but after a bit the fence would collapse. You can see this in Warhammer during Empire city sieges easiest where, as umiman said, things like market stalls and tents get flattened when your troops move over them.

I did like the map. It had a nice hill for artillery and a depression both close to the centre. Makes taking cannons and the like more useful as they can see over your troops to fire.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 26, 2017, 04:47:11 am »

My problem with forest maps is that you can't fucking see anything, even your own troops. I keep tree details on minimum due to this, but even it doesn't help. There should be an option for trees to be translucent around your troops.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 26, 2017, 04:49:19 am »

If you hold the space bar you can make the tree canopies disappear. There's an option in the menu on the right that appears which can make the canopies remain hidden even when not holding space bar.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 26, 2017, 05:03:43 am »

Hmh, how the heck I haven't noticed that even though I use space to see unit movement arrows all the time? I need to check this out, thanks.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: August 26, 2017, 09:06:42 am »

If you hold the space bar you can make the tree canopies disappear. There's an option in the menu on the right that appears which can make the canopies remain hidden even when not holding space bar.

Wow, didn't know about that, thanks.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 26, 2017, 12:15:04 pm »

Even with hidden canopies it's hard to tell what's going on sometimes, IMO, though that might be my low graphics settings influencing things. Trees are the enemy. Anyone who says otherwise is a vile and treacherous Wood Elf who deserves to be burned with their wicked forests.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 26, 2017, 06:23:51 pm »

Even with hidden canopies it's hard to tell what's going on sometimes, IMO, though that might be my low graphics settings influencing things. Trees are the enemy. Anyone who says otherwise is a vile and treacherous Wood Elf who deserves to be burned with their wicked forests.
Nah, it's not just you. Trees are annoying on every graphic level. The problem is that currently they only go invisible if you go near them, so it's still hard to see wtf is going on. Not to mention all the trees themselves in the way.

I don't think this can ever get fixed, unless you have a view where you basically make the trees invisible somehow.

There were some maps in Shogun 2 where the dense trees made for superb ambush spots due to how it was obscenely hard to see enemies and yourself inside there. So forest battles were always a clusterfuck in singleplayer and nerve-wracking in multiplayer.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 26, 2017, 09:43:44 pm »

Kind of related to trees, and highlighted by the addition of Norsca; I would like if they changed the colour of the unit position shadows from yellow to something that stands out more on white snow. I think there's a mod for it but it maybe if it was changed to a darker yellow or maybe a green?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 28, 2017, 07:13:15 am »

When I fight in heavily woded maps I charge with all my army and hope for the best.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 28, 2017, 11:06:56 am »

So apparently the guy who did a bunch of CA's Youtube videos has quit his job and judging by his reponses on why, it doesn't sound like it was on amicable terms.

Unfortunately my NDA will block me from talking about the real reasons behind me leaving.

It's nothing against the people there, they're talented and friendly and it was a fun environment to work in.

But knowing certain things about the processes at CA and how the games are handled is something I didn't want to help promote anymore.

I'm taking a massive risk doing this, and honestly can't imagine it will work out that well for me, but that's how strongly I felt I had to leave... me... one of the biggest fans of the series.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 28, 2017, 02:19:04 pm »

So apparently the guy who did a bunch of CA's Youtube videos has quit his job and judging by his reponses on why, it doesn't sound like it was on amicable terms.

Unfortunately my NDA will block me from talking about the real reasons behind me leaving.

It's nothing against the people there, they're talented and friendly and it was a fun environment to work in.

But knowing certain things about the processes at CA and how the games are handled is something I didn't want to help promote anymore.

I'm taking a massive risk doing this, and honestly can't imagine it will work out that well for me, but that's how strongly I felt I had to leave... me... one of the biggest fans of the series.

I'm sorry for him, he seems to be a nice guy, but he should have stayed quiet. He even said in the thread you linked that Warhammer 2 is shaping to be a great game - it looks like he was just burned out by working in a great studio.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 277