Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491434 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2760 on: September 29, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »

It's apparently from a Make a Wish request. Pretty cool.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: September 29, 2017, 05:39:25 pm »

Has anyone lost a bit of FPS in Total War 2?

I went from about 30-45 on High on the first one.

Now I'm down to 20-30 on High and 20-25 on Campaign map?

The hell is going on.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: September 29, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »

Has anyone lost a bit of FPS in Total War 2?

I went from about 30-45 on High on the first one.

Now I'm down to 20-30 on High and 20-25 on Campaign map?

The hell is going on.
The graphics improved a little. I don't notice because I tend to set the graphics options lower than what my computer can actually run so it loads faster (and before Umiman starts waxing about the SSD load times, I have only now got a job and as such am still unable to actually go out and buy one that is not hilariously tiny).

I am really liking Dark Elves, as an aside. Vortexes are also decent now. I killed a lot of skaven with a single Bladewind from Malekith.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: September 29, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »

They've certainly buffed a lot of magic spells. Vanilla magic doesn't feel useless like in the first game. All the buffs tend to stick around for quite a long time and the damage spells really hurt.

I wish they still explained exactly how the spells worked though. But whatever, at least mages are actually strong in this. Even the early tier spells feel really strong too. Spammable and useful. Malekith can spam his cone spell endlessly and it racks up so many kills.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: September 29, 2017, 08:06:09 pm »

Further impressions:

Recruiting troops with Malekith is bad because he does the most obnoxious shout.
Pre-quest battle objectives are pretty nice and don't invole either near-impossible tasks (Befriend Nordland for the Runefang! What's that? Nordland hates you? Not my problem! Oh, and also walk all the way to the southern Badlands and back.), at least for the early items (which makes sense).
Malekith makes upkeep costs a joke for his army.
The game actually loads faster. Then again, it may be the lack of mods.
The new end turn is great. It actually informs you about what the AI is doing without being annoying or too fast.
The Everchariot lives!
Spoiler: Source: Reddit (click to show/hide)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: September 30, 2017, 04:11:02 am »

Can someone explain the point of chariots to me?  People seem to rave over them, but I've always found myself wishing I'd recruited shock cavalry instead.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: September 30, 2017, 05:07:06 am »

Peoples comments on chariots are, I believe, due to their disruptive nature. They can charge a unit, pull through and charge again all the while knocking units over where as cavarly gets caught up more easily while escaping from melee.

Myself, I do often see it as more either I take cavalry or chariots. Looking at the High Elf Tiranoc Chariot it's got 55 Charge Bonus from the Silver Helms 52 while the Ithilmar Chariot has 70 and the Dragon Princes have 80. I don't really count their ranged damage since it's only 2 archers per chariot, though the Tiranoc Chariot fires 3 arrows per shot.

Other than that, I really like how dense the forests are compared to Warhammer 1. I wonder, when they add the blood pack, whether High Elves will have blood splattering them. I kind of feel like they shouldn't. Being dirty is beneath a High Elf and all that.

Edit: It seems like the Vampire Counts might've gotten a new building chain. I've seen in some capitals held by them a building called "Awakened Battlefield" (Al Haikk being one I've seen it in). It reduces movement by -15% for enemy armies starting in their province, increases attrition by 50%, reduces Raise Dead cost by -30% and enemy hero success by -10% as well as providing some garrison units.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:40:56 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: September 30, 2017, 05:17:14 am »

It's apparently from a Make a Wish request. Pretty cool.

Confederation time!
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: September 30, 2017, 11:23:08 pm »

So today I've learned that Skaven don't go horde when they lose their last settlement.
Which was saddening but understandable.

If you guys haven't seen it, you need to see how the Grey Seer rides the Screaming Bell. It's frigging hilarious.
Agree.
For those not in the know, it's standing atop the side of the bell, a triumphant pose on the upswing and a frantic scrabble on the downswing.
Makes me wonder how much the skaven would be muffling his own bell though. Haven't really been in contact with any great bells though so I don't know if a humanoid can stifle that much reverberation.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:21:33 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: October 01, 2017, 01:18:34 am »

Makes me wonder how much the skaven would be muffling his own bell though. Haven't really been in contact with any great bells though so I don't know if a humanoid can stifle that much reverberation.
https://clips.twitch.tv/HeadstrongAcceptableSashimiDerp

------

I'm really enjoying this Dark Elf campaign. There's so much shit to do. I haven't even left this beginning... continent yet and I've already fought Chaos, Norsca, Skaven, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, High Elves, and Greenskins.

I really enjoy their army setup, where they're kinda defensive but at the same time have really shitty defensive stats (at the start). Rather they're really killy. Units like the Assassin with his donkeyballs 1000 ranged damage. I've noticed all my melee troops are only there to buy time for my Darkshards to roflstomp everything. Their cavalry options are kinda derpy though. They're useful, but they don't really win anything by themselves.

Malekith is so bleeding strong. They just made magic so damn much more powerful now, so Malekith simply owns. He's a great melee lord and has at his disposal a really brutal magic lore that just wrecks everything. And the dragon too.

I love the Black Arks. It's glorious having a really versatile staging platform that lets you recruit everything you need in a large AOE. Also those naval bombardments... Good times. Just park them in a nice place and wreck everything.

I love all the new skill trees as well as the general naming system. I'm so intimately familiar with each of my generals now. I have Malekith, who wrecks everything solo. Then I have this warrior girl who's been on crusade against the forces of Chaos for so long she's gone insane. Her name is Beastslayer and she buffs her baseline troops a shittonne. And my last guy is a crossbow + sword general. The guy is pretty worthless in a fight despite me maxing his yellow line but his army is the cornerstone of the defense. He doesn't really do anything by himself but the Death Hag in his army owns. The guy's name is Greeneye and he gives a boost to my entire faction's economy. In my mind he's the idiot noble who's completely worthless on his own and gets carried through all his problems by his way more competent retainers. All three of these have been in really pitched battles and come out on top despite all the odds, mostly because Darkshards are so stupidly powerful. Shades are even scarier, but those are like triple the upkeep cost.

They've really gone one level up with the traits now. They're so much better and we get some really cool traits now. Big powerful ones that affect your entire faction and all that jazz. I have a sorceress who gives my entire faction +5 winds of magic and every enemy faction -5. I bet they stack if I end up with more than one. Also it's nice that they finally tell you what gives you what traits as well as how to improve / get rid of them. My aforementioned insane general got the insane trait from hanging around in Chaos way too long. To get rid of it, I need to move her back into "civilized" land for an extended period of time.

Oh my god province management is so much better now. I swear the game is way more fun when you're not artificially constrained by such restrictive build slots. With the increased building slots, it's so much more flexible. I like the new climate system too. I've noticed they also have a mechanic for the Dark Elves where if you try to build outside of your home area, your settlement types are considered Outposts instead of regular settlements, so you have slightly limited construction options. Slightly. Like, no walls for minor settlements and things like that. But at least now you can personally decide if you want to hold specific places or not. So if you really want to hold a town where your race can barely survive in, you can actually do it, but you gotta take the penalty. I think it makes for more organic gameplay.

I think they significantly buffed trade as a whole. Trade resource buildings give way more stuff now and trade seems way more profitable in general. That's nice.

And on that economic front, I especially enjoyed how you start with way more money now. You can basically immediately fund a second army. Makes the game so much more fun at the start as you're not stuck with just the one guy scrimping all your cash.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: October 01, 2017, 02:27:40 am »

I like how the High Elves have certain places that are labled as "High Elf Colonies". It gives you a specific settlement to aim for when looking to establish a presence on other continents. It seems like the A.I. is much more proactive in recolonizing ruins, almost annoyingly so as when Chaos razed a string of settlements in Ulthuan, the A.I. retook them about a turn or two later, splitting up my provinces.

I've also noticed that heroes don't need to be deployed in provinces now. They automatically cause their effects when present.

Another change to spells is apparently the Burning Head spell is now a wind spell.

Here's a thread with stat changes people have noticed for Warhammer 1 factions. Subject to change until the Mortal Empires campaign is released I would assume. One thing of note is an increase in range for the Hellblaster to 300 from 230.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: October 01, 2017, 04:56:33 am »

After playing for 15 hours, the one thing I really dislike about this game is the scripting. It seems to me that CA has given up on AI and instead tries to keep the campaign interesting by spawning bullshit stacks right inside your territory for challenge. This meaning the stacks popping up due to the rituals. The game is otherwise great, but I think this is a worrisome development. It is just...sort of lazy. I certainly hope there will be a mod dealing with this and giving a freeform conquest campaign instead. (If there is an option for this, I've missed it.)

Lacking settlement trading is still extremely annoying, as sometimes I'd like to buff my minions or get province whole peacefully.

While Warhamster 2 is fun, I can't help but feel there is a sort of two steps forward, one step backward going on with TW games. It is irritating.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:59:10 am by Majestic7 »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: October 01, 2017, 02:13:36 pm »

I enjoy the challenge of a Very Hard campaign, but I just ...can't. It just breaks my immersion when everyone gangs up on me for no reason at all and every AI faction can support a full stack for each settlement they have, while I can't support 3 full stacks with a dozen settlements.

In hard campaigns these issues are less apparent. Immersion is such a big deal to me.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: October 01, 2017, 07:58:56 pm »

Having just flunked on a legendary campaign, it was the most fun I'd had playing so far.
That might be because despite decent expansion I never got up to the super-gimmicky first ritual anyway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: October 02, 2017, 02:09:46 am »

Dark Elf Cold One Dread Knights are strangely powerful. And by strangely powerful I mean, ridiculously powerful.

I don't even really understand why they are that strong, their stats don't seem all that good.

I just had one unit of Dread Knights solo a unit of High Elf Dragon Princes and a Star Dragon (!!!) at the same time and they won. Straight up kicked their asses with about 50% of the dinosaurs remaining. I have no idea how they did it. The Dread Knights only have armour piercing too and not anti-large whereas the Dragon Princes have both. I think the Star Dragon has both too.

Really no idea how they won. As far as I'm aware they didn't even have any buffs. I need to test it a bit more to see if it wasn't just a fluke.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 277