Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491426 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3285 on: September 27, 2018, 11:15:11 am »

It's mostly a thing with Malagor in my experience. When I try him I'm consistently chased across the world by the Top Knots savage orcs faction.

Aye, it was during a Malagor playthrough for me too.

I think it was also for me. That's interesting, I wonder why that might be the case.

Edit: Though for me I think it would've been while playing as Morghur.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:03:13 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: September 27, 2018, 11:39:46 am »

Probably a combination of faction power and the fact you don’t hold cities.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: September 27, 2018, 12:26:51 pm »

Maybe the world just isn't ready for a goat with wings.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: September 27, 2018, 01:39:59 pm »

CA just announced a Yellow Turban DLC for 3K... and of course it is pre-order DLC. I thought they had learned after TWW, but I guess not. Sigh.

It doesn't even feature yellow turbans!

(also CoD: Yellow Turban Warfare)
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: September 27, 2018, 07:02:34 pm »

The Top Knots are one of the stronger early AI factions I think, as well as being a terrible match up for Malagor, his starting force struggles against them and he can only add ungor to the force, and since they only start at war with Malagor when you play him they can happily send three armies chasing you all the way to the Empire and beyond without you getting a chance to rest, raid and build up at all.

Sooner or later one of the realms you flee through declares war on you and you get pincered between a Top Knots army a thousand miles from home and a vampire or empire army that didn't like you leading a horde of orcs to their doorstep.

Malagor is also possibly the worst Beastman character to have against the AI in my opinion*, he can't fight very well and his magic is far from stellar, while Khazrak and Morghur can just smash the enemy general to death and help the army zerg to victory against their enemies. If you need magic you can just hire a shaman hero and get all the important bits of Malagor.

*Which is a shame because I much prefer him fluffwise to Khazrak, though Morghur I do rather like thematically. I'd love to see Slugtongue, Moonclaw and Ungrol get added to the game though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: September 27, 2018, 09:04:25 pm »

Regarding beastmen being chased to the end of the earth, there is (of course) a mod for that: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1389778682.

I have seen AI bray-herds traveling with armies of vampires, tomb kings, and Empire state troops all jostling for second place behind them, so this particular issue doesn't seem to be just a 'dislike the player' sort of thing.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: September 28, 2018, 05:24:35 am »

Regarding beastmen being chased to the end of the earth, there is (of course) a mod for that: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1389778682.

I have seen AI bray-herds traveling with armies of vampires, tomb kings, and Empire state troops all jostling for second place behind them, so this particular issue doesn't seem to be just a 'dislike the player' sort of thing.
It depends a lot on the difficulty for non-beastmen/chaos, from what I've seen. On Easy/Normal the AI just does its thing. On Very Hard and especially on Legendary, the AI has a hate-boner and will chase you to the ends of the map.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:38 am »

I’ve seen it on normal too.

And even without the Beastman variable, I still feel like the AI in TW is pretty shallow and it can make for an annoying game, esp. in the beginning when you don’t have many options.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:30:06 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 30, 2018, 04:36:54 pm »

I think the AI in TW will be broken until the campaigns have more context.

In real life, and to a lesser extent some Paradox games there is a reason battles are taking place. Diplomacy is complex and everyone is fighting over finite resources and the strength of each nation is not inexhaustible. There is a certain sense of campaigning, in taking out targets and maneuvering armies to gain leverage over your enemies. In TW there's really nothing even close to approaching that. On one hand it's hard to complain about developing an AI that chooses to create as many battles as possible when the game's main emphasis is it's tactical combat. On the other hand... a lot of the enjoyment of fighting a battle is contextual, part of Hannibal's fame/infamy was because that MFer marched INTO Italy over what was the one of the most inhospitable mountain ranges in the world and fucking destroyed several (three?) legions IN the Roman Heartland.

It's so simplified much of the strategy is taken out of the equation. You're basically always going for the closest city with maybe a small consideration to whether or not it is defendable. And it's frustrating when armies just spawn out of nowhere because you performed too well. The list goes on and on. It feels more like wash, rinse, repeat than strategizing--the lines are already drawn for you--you just have go forth and do well in battle.

Battle AI is a different beast. Again, I think there's just not a lot of incentive to prioritize things like minimizing casualties or delaying enemy forces. The most onerous tidbit to me is both the player and AI's effective inability to conduct fighting retreats. IDK. I can't explain the AI's poor use of tactics away... it's almost always just frontal assault or no, I've decided to wait for you to come to me. Every once in a while you can get caught up in a race for occupying strategic locations.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:51 am »

Does anyone know if theres like a Skill Tree Calculator out there?
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: October 03, 2018, 10:55:40 am »

A post has been made on the official forums with the usual letter full of hints.

I wonder what's coming. It seems to be pretty solidly ocean themed, possibly involving the Vampire Coast. Siren of the Sea to me sounds like the name of a ship though, even though it would be nice, I wouldn't go so far as to say naval combat considering past comments by Creative Assembly. Though, things can change.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: October 03, 2018, 11:10:39 am »

A post has been made on the official forums with the usual letter full of hints.

I wonder what's coming. It seems to be pretty solidly ocean themed, possibly involving the Vampire Coast. Siren of the Sea to me sounds like the name of a ship though, even though it would be nice, I wouldn't go so far as to say naval combat considering past comments by Creative Assembly. Though, things can change.
I highly doubt it's the vampire coast unless they either make Luthor Harkon into a Boris Toddbringer/Red Duke or into an Arkhan. Because they need to do 4 Lords for the pack. It's likely Dogs of War with a big emphasis on Sartosa and the Colonies, since it needs to work for people with only TWW2.

Siren of the Storms seems to be a reference to the Pirate Queen of Sartosa, Aranesa Saltspite.

My guess is that the Vortex mechanics for the new Lords is going to be a huge treasure hunt, sort of like the TK's quest for Nagash's overdue books.

Rusting Harbor is in Sartosa, too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:13:27 am by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: October 03, 2018, 03:08:25 pm »

Double post, but this is important.

You all remember CA's justification for the Blood DLC being paid, right? Ratings? How it being free ups the ratings?

This fella on Reddit contacted both the ESRB and PEGI and turns out that it's total bullshit. Blood as DLC only gets a higher rating on the DLC, which means it could very well be free. So we've been fed lies. People should be pissed at this and the Yellow Turban pre-order shit, not the female general shitstorm.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: October 03, 2018, 05:09:58 pm »

You all remember CA's justification for the Blood DLC being paid, right? Ratings? How it being free ups the ratings?

This fella on Reddit contacted both the ESRB and PEGI and turns out that it's total bullshit. Blood as DLC only gets a higher rating on the DLC, which means it could very well be free. So we've been fed lies. People should be pissed at this and the Yellow Turban pre-order shit, not the female general shitstorm.
Oh no, three dollars. Cheaper than a sandwich. How horrifying. I am so outraged by paying three dollars for two games of blood. Truly a great sin.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: October 03, 2018, 05:47:01 pm »

Oh no, three dollars. Cheaper than a sandwich. How horrifying. I am so outraged by paying three dollars for two games of blood. Truly a great sin.
Way to miss the point, friend. It could cost five cents. The point is that Sega/CA has been blatantly lying to it's consumers because hey, why make some money if you can make all of it?

Also that's a crazy expensive sandwich you have there. I can have a good lunch with that cash.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 277