Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83280 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2016, 04:57:45 am »

Well, Sun Tzu is particularly bad in that regard. Try reading Il Principe by Macchiavelli - it's  become deeply engrained in our culture as well, but since it's a big no-no to talk openly about power and realpolitik, it still is a very interesting read.

If you don't mind a bit of dryness but want to stay on the military side of things you might want to take a look at Clausewitz's Vom Kriege. He's got a very methodical approach that gets fairly tiring after a while, but nowhere else will you find these ideas expressed as clearly as Clausewitz managed.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 24, 2016, 05:47:55 am »

Hmm, Machiavelli does sound a lot more applicable in modern day. I should've read it first.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 05:57:26 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 28, 2016, 05:25:11 pm »

Currently (re)reading The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by HP Lovecraft. Last I read it was years ago.

Man, I forgot how good of a book it is. Picked it up to read just a bit before bed and suddenly a couple hours have passed and I'm engrossed in the middle of it. Think it's possibly one of Lovecraft's best stories.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 28, 2016, 10:32:00 pm »

Rereading the Dragaera series. Been a long time since I visited them. It cheered me up. Was in a foul mood this weekend.

Currently (re)reading The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by HP Lovecraft. Last I read it was years ago.

Man, I forgot how good of a book it is. Picked it up to read just a bit before bed and suddenly a couple hours have passed and I'm engrossed in the middle of it. Think it's possibly one of Lovecraft's best stories.
It's good, but I'd not say it's the best. If I had to make a ranking... hmmm

My Lovecraft top three would be the following:

#1 The Color out of Space, for all-around creepyness. First Lovecraft story I ever read, before I knew anything about Lovecraft (I was... 15 at the time, I think), and left me shivering. My all-around favorite.

#2 The Haunter of The Dark, for similar reasons.

#3 At the Mountains of Madness. Creepy antarctic terror, claustrophobic. Predates "Who goes there" by seven years. While it lacks the latter's shapeshifting paranoia, I'd argue that overall it's far more creepy (WGT is overall optimistic and not a horror story). I'd also argue that John Carpenter's adaptation successfully merged the former's creepyness into the latter.

- I'm going to make a special mention for the Very Old Folk: While I'd not rank it among the best, I think it's underrated, and I have a soft spot for it because I read it for the first time during a dark and stormy night, in the very city it takes place.

I'm also going to include a Shit Three tier: Stories bad as shit, that must be avoided

- Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
- The Street
- Medusa's Coil

All three are basically racist tracts. Avoid at all costs.

As a bonus middleground, I'll mention two stories that make it out of the scrap above by virtue of not being that bad, in and of themselves, once you get past the bigotry

- Cool Air:  It has also obvious racist undertones. Curiously enough, of the same brand of strange bipolar racism that often lies at the core of anti-Spanish prejuice: "Spaniards are short, swarthy and lazy goblins, and their women have beards. Except if you're actually white(r?). Then you're handsome, cultured, and part of the mighty whitey club.". In the story it's particularily blatant because Dr Muņoz gets a pass -which the rest of his countrymen don't-  even though he's fucking undead - granted, a particularily friendly sort of undead, but it says something about Lovecraft's racist prejuices when it's worse to be swarthy than to be a zombie

However, despite all this:

I'd say that it's Herbert West- Reanimator done right. Mind you, I think that the critics are unfair on HW-R itself (despite it's flaws, I argue it's nowhere near as bad as they say, and it has some interesting tidbits. It's arguably the first "modern" zombie novel). But Cool Air is better and far more Lovecraftian.

- The Temple: The story's biggest problem is that it goes out of it's way to depict the Germans, particularily the U-Boat commander, as a moustache-twirling villain. I can kind of understand that they were barely out of WWI and that people were still caught in jingoism. Still, it makes you groan every time the U-Boat commander makes some evil reflection in his diary, to underscore how evil he is.

If you manage to ignore the anti-German prejuice, it's a pretty darn good horror story about people trapped in a cursed submarine. I'm pretty sure it has inspired -even though it goes uncredited- a number of more modern horror movies and novels.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:39:57 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 29, 2016, 12:42:50 am »

I've read all of those except The Street and Very Old Folk. I like Medusa's Coil and Arthur Jermyn, I consider them a refreshing change from the eldritch tentacly cthulhu mythos themes of his most well known stories.

Reanimator was written in a different format (think it was monthly(?) installments in a magazine which required Lovecraft to summarize the events of previous chapters for any new readers who hadn't had the opportunity to read them) which results in lots of filler text when compiled in a single volume. Ignoring that, I think it's another good example of Lovecraft writing a more "complete" novel rather than a short story.

The Temple is rather mediocre but it's just a short story. I think its only redeeming quality is the fact that Lovecraft made the protagonist a part of a WWI german sub crew. Even if the stereotyping is hammy.

I quite like Charles Ward. I think the way Lovecraft developed the horror describes just enough to portray what's going on to the reader while leaving most details up to their imagination. And I like the use of alchemy/daemonology/forbidden arts as contrasted to the 1700s and 1900s New England, and the general theme of anachronism, and how the protagonist pieces together the clues of the big evil and what happened in the past and how it connects to the current evil events.

I suppose it's the blend of mystery/detective and horror that keeps me interested in reading. Come to think of it I suppose it's a key figure to Lovecraft stories to have a character delving into a big evil thing, but in Ward it's more pronounced, I guess. All the clues are just hints and bits and pieces from past researchers who wanted to cover up what horrible things they found, and the grand evil scheme can't be explained fully, leaving a hanging question of what could've happened if the evil were left unchecked, what the goals of the evil was, how big a network of evil there is throughout the world of the story, etc.

I think the key contributing factor is the root of the evil. In something like Color Out of Space, the source of evil is literally from beyond human comprehension. Space rock falls, boom, shit happens, people go mad. Or Cthulhu, big octopus dragon wakes up, people go mad. With Ward and the use of alchemy and occult sciences, it suggests that the evil is all due to human search for forbidden knowledge. If it weren't for people making a science out of calling up things that should not be, the whole big evil plot of the story wouldn't have happened.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:20:40 am by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 29, 2016, 04:27:47 am »

I haven't read nearly as much Lovecraft as you guys but I do like The Shadow over Innsmouth. Once I got past the blatant racism it was a fairly decent story.

- The Temple: The story's biggest problem is that it goes out of it's way to depict the Germans, particularily the U-Boat commander, as a moustache-twirling villain. I can kind of understand that they were barely out of WWI and that people were still caught in jingoism. Still, it makes you groan every time the U-Boat commander makes some evil reflection in his diary, to underscore how evil he is.

If you manage to ignore the anti-German prejuice, it's a pretty darn good horror story about people trapped in a cursed submarine. I'm pretty sure it has inspired -even though it goes uncredited- a number of more modern horror movies and novels.
I can see what you mean by a mustache-twirling villain. Apart from that, I'm quite enjoying it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:49:02 am by Gamedragon »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 29, 2016, 06:30:43 am »

I've started reading The Master and Margarita again. I never got very far through it the first time, for some reason.
This time I'm actually quite enjoying it, so I've no idea why I didn't finish it before. Pretty sure I'm already further in than I made it last time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 03, 2016, 11:50:13 pm »

Currently reading The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood.

Captures the feeling of being out in da woods pretty well.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 10, 2016, 03:22:20 pm »

Just started reading "The Science of Discworld".

First page has "... Let's make it clear what the science of Discworld is not. There are several media tie-in the science of... books at the moment, [which] tell you about areas of today's science that may one day lead to the events or devices that the fiction depicts.
... We could have taken that approach. We decided not to do these things for a good reason.
It would be... er... dumb"

Well great I've been avoiding this book all along because if the misleading title and it's filled with early-prattchett awesome.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 10, 2016, 06:25:52 pm »

I don't know.  The fourth one was kind of weird, like it wasn't quite...Pratchett.

But II and III are full of awesome.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 10, 2016, 06:43:04 pm »

I've started reading The Master and Margarita again. I never got very far through it the first time, for some reason.
This time I'm actually quite enjoying it, so I've no idea why I didn't finish it before. Pretty sure I'm already further in than I made it last time.
Whadaya know? I read a good bit of it myself quite recently. It's a bit entertaining, but I feel I must be missing something, since the plot (in my head) basically boils down to: "Devil going around playing sick jokes on people, while everyone else is powerless to stop him."

Granted, maybe it gets far better in the second half, but I stopped not too long into the "Second Book" (The part where you actually begin to find out about the Master and Margarita).

Am I missing something big here?  :-\
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 10, 2016, 09:11:24 pm »

I finished The Martian. It was a really enjoyable read, would recommend to anyone wanting to read something fun but still well-written and smart.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 16, 2016, 10:36:58 pm »

Finished reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. I think it might just be the best thing I've ever read. "Voldemort" is a true mastermind and epic antagonist.

Reading Harry Potter and the Natural 20 now. I've just started the 3rd part. It's good, but not quite as good as HPMoR. The world feels lacking, although it's probably intentional, in part due to all the "NPCs" and time skips.
Edit: I've now finished all that's been written.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:52:16 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 16, 2016, 10:43:10 pm »

I think it's pretty great, I would definitely recommend reading on. Very surreal and quite amusing at times.
Then again, I still haven't finished it- I haven't been reading as much lately. Need to spend less time staring at a screen and more time with my nose in a book. Still, I'm really enjoying it, even if most of the political themes would go right over my head without the ever-helpful notes, haha.

(This post seems really disjointed, but I'm not very awake right now. Apologies.)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 27, 2016, 07:25:47 am »

Whadaya know? I read a good bit of it myself quite recently. It's a bit entertaining, but I feel I must be missing something, since the plot (in my head) basically boils down to: "Devil going around playing sick jokes on people, while everyone else is powerless to stop him."

Granted, maybe it gets far better in the second half, but I stopped not too long into the "Second Book" (The part where you actually begin to find out about the Master and Margarita).

On this conversation, I just saw this after randomly picking up this book from my dad's bookshelf.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 58