Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 82799 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #555 on: November 12, 2016, 06:27:37 pm »

I finally revisited and finished Catch-22, after more than a whole decade of having ignored it. Raucous laughter was had.

I just started "The Three Christs of Ypsilanti" about 3 men in a mental hospital who believe themselves to be the physical reincarnation of Jesus Christ. Set in a 60's,  it's pretty darn unique reading about three schizophrenics rationalize how the other two people in a mental hospital are in fact liars, and that they know 'they' are the real Jesus Christ.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2016, 08:00:20 pm »

If you liked that, you may enjoy Dürrenmatt's Die Physiker (The Physicists).
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:10 am »

I just finished Name of the Wind this weekend, not sure why it took me so long to read it, it's an amazing book.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 12, 2017, 07:46:49 am »

I am reading a thread called "What are you reading?"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 12, 2017, 11:43:08 am »

I am reading a thread called "What are you reading?"
I'm reading a post in a thread called" What are you reading?" that is about reading a thread called "What are you reading?" and thinking the meta should be stopped before it goes too far.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 12, 2017, 12:00:23 pm »

I'm reading Harry Potter for the first time.  Kinda neat finding all the details that weren't in the movies.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 12, 2017, 12:10:15 pm »

I'm reading Harry Potter for the first time.  Kinda neat finding all the details that weren't in the movies.
I could never see how anyone even knew what was going on in the movies without having read the books. It seems like so many details are missing.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 12, 2017, 05:00:32 pm »

I think the movies made sense on their own.  The biggest difference was I thought Snape wasn't such a bad guy in the movies, but in the books(well, first three at least) he is the most gigantic gaping asshole in the world.  In the muggle world he would have been fired from the educational system 100 times over, but I guess Wizards are a bit more tolerant of abuse.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 12, 2017, 09:52:39 pm »

In a similar vein, I'm reading the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire. I've not seen the show yet, but will after reading.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 13, 2017, 08:02:32 am »

Reading Dante's Inferno for a book report in English. It's funny as hell, 10/10 would recommend.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 13, 2017, 03:26:47 pm »

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Literally just started reading 3 seconds ago.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 13, 2017, 06:31:53 pm »

Continuing my trend of free fantasy e-books I would absolutely not pay money for, The Towers of Sunset by L. E. Modesitt Jr. Besides some of godawful purple prose, and some deliberately confusing narration that keeps the first few chapters from gathering any steam, I'm most frustrated by the fantasy fabric the guy has invented called "silksheen". i.e. a fabric that has the same sheen as silk. Much like, for example, silk.

(An angsty teen is mad about having to wear silksheen, and is currently wearing flannel. In a fantasy novel. I am way more interested in the 90s punk fantasy setting this kid feel out of than the generic one he's stuck in.)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 14, 2017, 02:14:48 am »

Katsuragawa Hoshu's "Brief Report on a Journey in the Northern Waters". Basically, a Japanese sailor's description of late XVIII-century Russia, as recorded by the shogun's physician.

Really amusing to read for a Russian - the dude basically just keeps bugging out at everything, but he is too japanese to show it, so he's just like "<_< what the fuck is this >_> what the fuck is that I am very grateful to you for your continued assistance, foreign devil ugh why is he drinking something that came from a cow's tit". Despite that, he appears rather impressed with Russian government (these words look weird together), and also gets to meet Catherine II and she is chill with him because she is generally a chill old lady at this point (1793, IIRC).

Would recommend. I believe it's usually rendered Hokusa Bunryaku in English.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 14, 2017, 02:27:24 am »

Game of thrones.
A song of ice and fire.
Book one.
Game of thrones.
(They named the show after the first book)
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #569 on: January 14, 2017, 08:35:41 am »

Black Diamond, by Zakes Mda, which is a surprisingly hilarious deconstruction of a lot of South African stereotypes. Well, I finished it a while back, but nonetheless. :P

I wholeheartedly recommend Mda to anyone who enjoys insightful literary fiction that's pretty self-aware. His writing is truly excellent.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58