Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83263 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #735 on: May 15, 2019, 10:17:56 am »

My mom wasn't reading her borrowed copy of 1984 so I picked it up again. I'd forgotten what it was like to read a book that totally grips you with every word.

A good read, and one of my all-time favourite books.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 15, 2019, 12:11:35 pm »

I'm reading a thread titled "What are you reading?"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 15, 2019, 03:01:52 pm »

I'm reading a thread titled "What are you reading?"
What a coincidence that I happened to be reading the same thread!  :o

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 15, 2019, 08:54:10 pm »

I just finished Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice and I feel kind of empty inside now. I've been on a vampire fiction reading binge for the past few months (blame the announcement of Vampire the Masquerade 2) and this one is definitely my favorite.

So why do I feel so sad then? Well it's mainly because of the fact that I love it for personal reasons rather than objective reasons. The book is very angsty and though I enjoy the angst, I realize that there's a pretty good chance that some of it is not that well written and my personal biases are just blinding me. In other words, it's a book that I would have difficulty sharing with others.

I guess the reason why I'm posting here is because I want to know if anyone else here has read Interview? What did they think of it? Did they like it or did they think it wasn't that good? I'm just hoping I can discuss it with someone.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 18, 2019, 11:07:20 pm »

I am currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson.
'Twas a lucky find in an op-shop when I was visiting family a month or so ago. As I ransacked the book section I came across it and at first was rather uninspired by its dorky cover art, but then I thought "Neuromancer... I've heard of that!"

Wasn't this book basically the grand daddy of cyberpunk? Or one of its progenitors, at least? It's quite good so far, I'm a little over halfway.

In the same book haul (the place didn't exactly have the best range, but they let you fill a bag of books for $5 so you better believe I picked the eyes out of the selection!) I scored a copy of John Dies At the End, which was nice since I have no idea what happened to my old copy - I re-read it already.
I was pretty stoked. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 19, 2019, 07:11:57 am »

Neuromancer is the progenitor of cyberpunk, or at least something very close. If you like it you should look at some of the other novels Gibson wrote. Neuromancer is very much a first book and so lacks some of the polish that Gibson's latter novels have. The Difference Engine was kinda disjointed but the rest I read were good.

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 18, 2019, 04:20:01 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:47:41 am by catacombs »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 19, 2019, 08:21:57 am »

Neuromancer is the progenitor of cyberpunk, or at least something very close. If you like it you should look at some of the other novels Gibson wrote. Neuromancer is very much a first book and so lacks some of the polish that Gibson's latter novels have. The Difference Engine was kinda disjointed but the rest I read were good.
I thought that was the case! Awesome, I finished reading it. It read very much like a hard-bitten pulp noir transplanted into the far future, something about the prose that I can't quite put my finger on. I definitely enjoyed it, even if I'm not ashamed to admit some of its far-out technobabble went right over my head - I kinda like that, though, when a book plunges you into its world without so much as a glossary to guide yourself by.   
Again, like a noir with all their gritty gangster/private eye dialect, just from a far-removed setting.

I also finished reading Web, by John Wyndham, which I'd started reading before being distracted by Neuromancer and then reading them both concurrently. It was good, though without nearly as much depth as Day of the Triffids, but then it was apparently published posthumously so it probably wasn't quite a finished product at the time. It makes it into "not too far-fetched" territory, which is what makes it reasonably unsettling despite its age.   

Now I'm reading Cogan's Trade. I watched Killing Them Softly once years ago and remember a few vague plot points, but it's been long enough that I have no idea how closely it actually followed the events of the book, haha. It's an odd read, full of rambling, conversational, believable dialogues between characters that you kinda hafta imagine 'em saying to really get.   
Enjoyable so far, though. I'll probably finish it on my flight tomorrow.
Oh, I'm reading a wonderful Mad magazine collection of vintage comics by one of their artists named Will Elder, too! I think I've only read one of his original parodies before (in a special edition re-issue of an old magazine), but it's fascinating to see how his style seems to have influenced Mad as a whole.   
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:23:38 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 19, 2019, 01:26:54 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:47:16 am by catacombs »

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 31, 2019, 07:57:06 am »

The Descent (by Jeff Long). It's scary, yet inspires me to do stuff in DF.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 31, 2019, 03:48:37 pm »

I just started The Dead Zone by Stephen King, and The Annotated Turing by Charles Petzold. I'm in the middle of The Stand.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 05, 2019, 07:46:15 am »

I just started Les Miserables and I'm loving it.

It was a good way to review some of the french revolutions ideas/history - having lots of fun.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 09, 2019, 03:35:24 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:49:26 am by catacombs »

mangointango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 12, 2019, 12:16:57 pm »

I have just finished The Witcher series

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 13, 2019, 03:02:05 am »

I dropped Seveneves. Really boring and too much into the technical details of space travel.

Starting Don Winslow's The Border, the final book in his "Power of the Dog" series, which I recommend everyone should read.

I managed to get trough the first part mostly because it played with some interesting tech ideas, even tho it had some really poorly done tropes shoved in (with hamfisted social commentary no less). But then the second part comes around it's got all new characters which are completely uninteresting and there's a mystery which isn't one, and worse yet is completely fuckng dumb once its explained. I just gave up on it after a few chapters and read the synopys online, saves a bunch of trouble and annoyance.

I will say tho, that despite the dryness and a requirement of taking notes just to follow it at first, Anathem was suprisingly engaging and a fun read at the end.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 58