I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 581032 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:54 pm »

Think C was looking for the "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" (Non-Murphy* Golden Rule.)bit, however it ends up being translated, but m'not entirely sure on that. Though apparently not, so *shrugs*

*Murphy's golden rule is, of course, "He who has the gold makes the rules."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2015, 07:39:10 pm »

Think C was looking for the "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" (Non-Murphy* Golden Rule.)bit, however it ends up being translated, but m'not entirely sure on that. Though apparently not, so *shrugs*

*Murphy's golden rule is, of course, "He who has the gold makes the rules."

No I was not looking for that
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2015, 07:47:04 pm »

I saw someone talking about how Norse mythology was similar to Christianity a few pages ago. From what I remember on the subject, a fair bit of Norse mythology got rewritten by a cunning priest to make it mesh better with the Bible to aid in conversions. He made up basically the entirety of Ragnorok, Odin hanging for three days on a tree and quite a few other bits. If you draw parallels between them, its at least partially because the latter vandalized the former.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2015, 08:02:59 pm »

-snipping a ton of stuff here, but still want to leave the links intact-

[1]Sorry for the VERY late reply. finally someone brings some of the eastern wisdom into here! [2] i have read the bhagavad gita few times over the years and while its quite a straight forward text, i can't even pretend i truly understand half of it. the birthless, deathless, unchanging characteristics of the soul in the bhagavad gita does not support your belief. [3] a birthless, deathless, unchanging nature of the soul means it can not learn, since new knowledge, or new experiences are "qualities" of the ever changing mind and are its constructs. what changes the mind is the knowledge, the "soul" stays the same. [4] it also says in the bhagavad gita that the Mokasha is when one fully realize his soul is one and the same as the Absolute one that is in everything which kinda negates the notion of individual knowledge that is passed through the soul between bodies. [5] i am aware that the text also point to some sort of transmigration between bodies, but i have not understood what is it that transmigrates.

[6] If you take the "selfless" view of the east, then each thought/concept that floats before "your" consciousness is temporary and less you than a drop of water is a river and in the same sense, its just as you as the drop of water is the river. so the thought, concept or cloud of concepts that passes to others (A-la Dawkins Memes) is something of you that got reborn in another person.

[7] Speaking of Moksha / spiritual experiences / enlightenment and psychadelic drugs, U.G kirsnamurty, who described his own Moksha not as enlightenment but as a calamity (That is if you believe him that he has been enlightened, which is very understandable if you don't since he generally just fools around and nowhere near what you would expect from a spiritual man), because he said it destroyed "Him" completely and that its the last thing "anyone" would want, said that all the spiritual exercises are useless since you can just take a shroom and achieve exactly the same thing without all the hassle and time wasting. he maintains that if we ever invent machines that make us reach those experiences then there is no reason not to use those since the "way" to the experiences is utterly meaningless and that those experiences has nothing to do with the enlightenment.
[8] "Any religion that insists that you hold faith in its teachings is not worth learning, true knowledge requires you to ask the hard questions even if they dont have answers"
[1] It's nice to be able to talk about it, since it's hard with being pretty much the only one here that has views that way. (At least as far as I can tell)
[2] Personally, my favorite part of the Bhagavad-Gita is where Arjuna just flat out tells Krishna to speak clearly, and stop talking in circles. :P
[3] That is correct. This is why I do not base my beliefs on the Bhagavad-Gita. I simply site parts from it where my beliefs are similar.
[4] Another part where I disagree with the book. I've yet to conclude any sort of "end" to reincarnation. There is simply no end to what can be learned. (I've entertained the idea that it's actually impossible to learn everything, because one of the things you'd have to learn to be knowing of everything, would be to know what it's like to be God. And even if the "final life" is to be God, then you're stuck being immortal, and hence, there is no end. I don't believe this, though, I just think it'd be a cool idea for a book or something.)
[5] I have no answer for this. :P If you figure this out, let me know.
[6] Yeah... I don't really believe in the idea they have that all souls are basically the same. I think souls are far more individual, and unique, and you wouldn't be able to just splash them together in some soul river.
[7] I've never heard of this, but I like this guy's thinking. More logical than a lot of the things I've read.
[8] This so much. I didn't start believing in reincarnation after reading a book, or hearing someone's story, or anything like that. I came to that conclusion on my own, and I still disagree with many ideas behind reincarnation that other people believe (such as many large parts of the Bhagavad-Gita, for an example.)

Also, as an aside, I have come to the conclusion that Lord Krishna is actually Cthulhu.
In the Bhagavad-Gita, Krishna reveals to Arjuna his "True Form", which is an infinitely large being, comprised of an infinite number of twisting arms, each covered with, not just regular mouths, but flaming mouths, that feast on the souls of entire dimensions, along with a numberless amount of eyes, each one the size of a star.
The very sight of this monstrosity causes Arjuna to temporarily lose his fucking mind, and he begs Krishna to turn back into his human form, after which Krishna explains that had anyone else in the world seen that, they would have been annihilated.
Hence, Lord Krishna is actually Cthulhu.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2015, 08:03:09 pm »

Cry, generally you should be able to google the verse you're thinking of and find an online bible to reference. Depending, of course, on how well you remember the verse.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2015, 08:08:09 pm »

OW posted the real verse in one of his posts already though

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2015, 08:10:47 pm »

... Okay...? That's not my point. Will he do that in the future? You shouldn't rely on others to supply you like that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2015, 08:12:03 pm »

Not sure how I missed the first 17 pages, but this is interesting. No worthwhile contributions for now, so just PTWing.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2015, 08:13:18 pm »

Oh ya woops
Didn't make the connection to the
I don't post verses thing
I'm out of sorts today
Sorry

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2015, 08:15:05 pm »

Cryxis.exe has stopped working, it seems.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »

I need a nap

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2015, 08:35:51 pm »

It also says that he's not the end of the law.
Yes, kind of.
I'm referring to romans 10:4, mind you to state where it's said that he isn't?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:21 pm »

Fulfilment of the law is what I've always heard. In the sense that OT law indicates that humans can never live up to God's requirements, and Christ is the only way around that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2015, 09:03:35 pm »

Quote from: Helgoland
Good stuff though, or so I hear. Much easier than the more hardcore synthetic hallucinogens.
It's a damn shame I can't take the stuff, really. I've heard very few bad things about them all in all

Forgot to ask a few days ago so Il do it now.
Why cant you take the stuff.
Sorry in advance if this is to personal or seems pushy.
pushy for a reason

Probably a medical reason.
Yeah - I'm on lithium, and lithium combined with hallucinogens (well, 5-HT2A agonists, but whatever) tends to cause seizures. Not pretty.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2015, 10:32:12 pm »

PTW because it's rare for the internet to have a civil, tame discussion on religion. It's good to see Bay 12 can still do it.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 521