I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582316 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2015, 01:33:59 am »

It's fine because it was clearly a jest, it was even labelled as "OOC".
It wasn't a very good jest but hey, I quote WH40K too much too...  Well, so my friends say.  The heretics!

Pretending that Khorne worship is a valid belief and should be quoted alongside actual religious texts... not a good defense.  Some philosophies found in fiction can be interesting to practice.  A Khorne follower would just be insane.

It's supported by SubGenius dogma. Lurid sci-fi is considered holy.

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2015, 01:57:58 am »

It wasn't a very good jest but hey, I quote WH40K too much too...  Well, so my friends say.  The heretics!

Pretending that Khorne worship is a valid belief and should be quoted alongside actual religious texts... not a good defense.  Some philosophies found in fiction can be interesting to practice.  A Khorne follower would just be insane.

Except I'm not pretending that it's a valid belief, I'm asking why it isn't (beside the obvious evilness), and I'm asking if other things like 'Jedi' are.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2015, 01:59:24 am »

On a more serious note, does anyone here believe that the universe is geocentric?

Probably not, and I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who seriously does.

As far as we know, the center of the universe could very well be everywhere, omnispatial. It just seems geocentric because we happen to be observing from the Earth and the universe is so vast that we're a tiny point in the whole thing. To get a significantly different perspective of the universe, you'd have to either go to the other side of the galaxy or maybe go to another galaxy, not sure if Andromeda is far enough away.

Also, whats with the WH40k derail?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2015, 02:11:01 am »

On a more serious note, does anyone here believe that the universe is geocentric?

Probably not, and I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who seriously does.

As far as we know, the center of the universe could very well be everywhere, omnispatial. It just seems geocentric because we happen to be observing from the Earth and the universe is so vast that we're a tiny point in the whole thing. To get a significantly different perspective of the universe, you'd have to either go to the other side of the galaxy or maybe go to another galaxy, not sure if Andromeda is far enough away.

It because of the over polution of bible quotes so we started quoting other LEGITIMATE religions like following khorne or nurgle. Or the worst chaos god of all, The Emperor. Yes right under the dirty imperiums snot nose.
Basicly we need more religious representation here, instead of bible scipture.
More blood for the blood thread
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2015, 02:15:30 am »

What about Armok and The Flying Spaghetti Monster?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2015, 02:37:54 am »

More marinara for the pasta god.
meat balls for the meating place.

Sorry im gettin carried away.
But it seems to be alot of the same old shit with pointless quotes.
Id like to hear more about any other religions and spiritual ideas.
And less on the quotes, or I will provide you with books full of logical quotes.
Please for the sake of this thread, try to open your minds and share ideas and let us all grow as people.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 27, 2015, 03:24:42 am »

It because of the over polution of bible quotes so we started quoting other LEGITIMATE religions like following khorne or nurgle. Or the worst chaos god of all, The Emperor. Yes right under the dirty imperiums snot nose.
Basicly we need more religious representation here, instead of bible scipture.
More blood for the blood thread

Besides, Nurgle is totally legitimate

http://www.piney.com/BabMarNergal.html

http://www.gatewaystobabylon.com/myths/texts/classic/ereshner1.htm
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:27:39 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 27, 2015, 03:31:15 am »

Except I'm not pretending that it's a valid belief, I'm asking why it isn't (beside the obvious evilness), and I'm asking if other things like 'Jedi' are.

Again, it sort of is under the mythos of the Church of the SubGenius, which states that enlightenment is to be found in lurid science fiction.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #278 on: January 27, 2015, 03:52:59 am »

If you guys want to discuss religions spawned from works of fiction (I mean stuff like Warhammer and Star Wars, not thousand-year-old texts, but I'm aware of the discrepancy there) then go ahead, but please don't goof around with it.

More marinara for the pasta god.
meat balls for the meating place.

Sorry im gettin carried away.
And less on the quotes, or I will provide you with books full of logical quotes.
Please for the sake of this thread, try to open your minds and share ideas and let us all grow as people.
Quoting religious texts is a guaranteed part of discussing those religions, which is literally the point of this thread. This is like going to an ice cream shop and complaining about them selling ice creams to other people when you're there for an empty cone.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 27, 2015, 04:24:40 am »

So in history class we are starting to learn about Islamic nations, this is going to be fun  :).
Anywho I was wondering how do Muslims view Jesus? I know they call him a prophet but is he still gods son in their belief or just another prophet?
Just another prophet, along with Moses, Joseph, Noah, etc. Every prophet worked some miracles to show that they carried God's message. Jesus is something of a special case though since he ascended to high heavens before he was crucified, but since everyone will die someday, he's expected to make a return, where he'll rule the world. So there is that, and yes, this is part of what I was raised to believe as a Muslim, not a Christian

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2015, 05:01:01 am »

Quoting religious texts is a guaranteed part of discussing those religions, which is literally the point of this thread. This is like going to an ice cream shop and complaining about them selling ice creams to other people when you're there for an empty cone.
Wolf, go look at the old Christianity Discussion Thread - this thread is its successor, and I can assure you that the endless stream of bible quotes is one of the most interesting things about this sort of thread. The key to productive discussion is discussing specific aspects of specific religions within the context of that religion, not discussing religion in a sweeping and general manner.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:06 am »

Proverbs are always platitudes until you have personally experienced the truth of them.
What I have said I have lived through.
Why follow a fairy tale when you can make a legend yourself.
Dont contemplate a book contemplate your mind, and if it speaks of nothing you are a lucky man indeed.
We all yearn for freedom yet we can never attain it. Your mere exsistance relys on you to be trapped. True freedom is no bounds.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 27, 2015, 07:58:47 am »

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." -Matthew 5:17
Oh, indeed, it's just what I thought you were talking about.
He doesn't has the main objective of invalidating the old law, but fulfilling it.
The part he is accomplishing are the prophecies about the messiah, about he being a successor the throne of Judah and how he lives and how he dies and how whatever else that was in the old testament, that is what they mean when they talk about the old law. Does that explains my point better?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2015, 08:09:17 am »

So in history class we are starting to learn about Islamic nations, this is going to be fun  :).
Anywho I was wondering how do Muslims view Jesus? I know they call him a prophet but is he still gods son in their belief or just another prophet?
Just another prophet, along with Moses, Joseph, Noah, etc. Every prophet worked some miracles to show that they carried God's message. Jesus is something of a special case though since he ascended to high heavens before he was crucified, but since everyone will die someday, he's expected to make a return, where he'll rule the world. So there is that, and yes, this is part of what I was raised to believe as a Muslim, not a Christian

So in Muslim faith Jesus will still return just like in Christian faith, maybe with a bit of different context as to why, but still Jesus coming back to rule the earth around the time of judgement?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:18 am »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:05:27 am by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 521