I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582864 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1140 on: March 07, 2015, 09:25:50 pm »

Well, the Catholic Church is obviously right, so the question is moot :P
+1

So, why do people have faith in one thing instead of another? Like, why have faith in your particular christian sect, instead of another christian sect? or instead of Islam?
Eh. It's the wrong question to ask, I think. I don't put my faith in the Reformed Church, I put my faith in Christ. It just happens that the Reformed church takes an interpretation of the Bible that I most agree with.
There's nothing inherently wrong with interpreting the book differently - attending a different church does not make you any less Christian than anyone else. I would have no problem attending a Baptist church or Presbyterian or whatever for worship. (Though I would prefer to go my own church).
Personally, I'd draw the line at stuff like Mormonism, where an entirely new book and doctrine has been tied on. It's technically still Christianity, but it's different enough that I don't consider it to be "my" religion.
Islam is slightly different. I guess it falls into the same category as Judaism. Nominally, those religions are worshipping the same god, but they're missing the somewhat important bit about Christ Jesus being the Son of God. I mean, it's not like Christians are named after him by coincidence.
I'll also clarify that I have no problem with attending a Mormon church, or Jewish synagogue, or Muslim... thingy. I just won't consider it to be a worship service directed to my God. I also don't have a problem with taking part in any feasts or rituals of other religions as long as I make sure they know I'm a filthy heathen and am not actually worshipping their deity.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1141 on: March 07, 2015, 09:40:52 pm »

Sure, but the question was about why you put your faith in your particular set of beliefs, as opposed to any other set of beliefs.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1142 on: March 07, 2015, 09:41:18 pm »

Dunno.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 07, 2015, 09:44:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's one of those 'just cause' things, Angle.

Discounting other stuff like:

Raised that way, 'religious experience', forced into it etc.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1144 on: March 07, 2015, 09:49:31 pm »

*Calamitous wailing, gnashing of teeth and flailing of limbs resounding over precipitous gulfs of incomprehensible geometry, lit by horrible, half-dead light from the end of space and time*
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:06:30 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 07, 2015, 10:09:26 pm »

Dunno.
+1

But I find that answering 'stubbornness' leads to much more interesting reactions :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 07, 2015, 10:27:15 pm »

...or Muslim... thingy....

Mosque, FYI.

To answer the question about why I believe the way I do: I've seen the way people of different faiths live their lives and I think that the LDS way of life is the best/I like the result of LDS living more than the results of living by other faiths (I'm just trying to state my personal opinion here, though). I also have reasons that are more religious like praying about whether it is true or not.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1147 on: March 07, 2015, 10:31:15 pm »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 07, 2015, 11:27:36 pm »

so I'm wondering what does everyone believe happens after you die? obviously if you have a specific religion that is set in stone and in that case what would you like to happen if that didn't happen. reincarnation as a future person seems cool you will probably eventually end up in some awesome future if everything doesn't go to shit. :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 07, 2015, 11:29:56 pm »

so I'm wondering what does everyone believe happens after you die? obviously if you have a specific religion that is set in stone and in that case what would you like to happen if that didn't happen. reincarnation as a future person seems cool you will probably eventually end up in some awesome future if everything doesn't go to shit. :P
I've already stated my belief in reincarnation.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:25 am »

I like that idea of the Egg story. Every human being who has ever lived is the same entity, and the universe is just an egg for another god.

But I actually think we're just really funky machines and that we have as much of an afterlife as a computer does when you smash it and erase the data.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 08, 2015, 12:11:27 am »

I like that idea of the Egg story. Every human being who has ever lived is the same entity, and the universe is just an egg for another god.

But I actually think we're just really funky machines and that we have as much of an afterlife as a computer does when you smash it and erase the data.

Have you seen Chappie yet?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1152 on: March 08, 2015, 12:15:06 am »

Nothingness

Though it is hypothetically possible that the people of the very distant future will discover how to defy entropy, read the entire history of the universe off the fabric of spacetime, and bring us all back to life.

But probably nothing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:27:49 am by Angle »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 08, 2015, 12:21:26 am »

No, but I want to. Probably will go see it with the boyfriend. Why? (No spoilers)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 08, 2015, 12:36:25 am »

You'll understand why I brought it up when you go see it.

No, but I want to. Probably will go see it with the boyfriend. Why? (No spoilers)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 521