I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582544 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1485 on: March 29, 2015, 11:14:14 pm »

I was just pointing out what the Bible says.

That does not make it any less unpleasant, especially when we have had another Christian on the forums arguing that the Bible can not be used to discriminate.
What are we talking about now?

He's saying that for Adam and Eve to be married, there should have been a wedding. Which, to be fair, there is not.
Technicaly they were either
A) wed under the eyes of god
Or
B) basicaly there just to populate, it wouldn't be the only time unmarried people did that in the bible
What's the one story if the (four?) women and the last guy on earth who basicaly had sex with him even though he was unwilling just to repopulate?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:16 pm »

I do not know any bible story about that. The only other time that there were the last people on earth was after the flood, and noah and his sons all had wives of their own.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 29, 2015, 11:32:07 pm »

I believe it was somewhere in genesis towards the end, it was an early history story
Maybe I'm confused with a story from another religion

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 29, 2015, 11:33:07 pm »

The only one like that was Lot and his daughters, and they got him drunk in order to sleep with him and get pregnant by him.

Bible is fucked up, you guys.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: March 29, 2015, 11:39:23 pm »

The only one like that was Lot and his daughters, and they got him drunk in order to sleep with him and get pregnant by him.

It certainly isn't a children's book.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 29, 2015, 11:39:36 pm »

That was probably it

Ya bits of it are messed up but at least it doesn't leave that kind of stuff and make it more questionable than people already think it is

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: March 29, 2015, 11:40:56 pm »

That was probably it

Ya bits of it are messed up but at least it doesn't leave that kind of stuff and make it more questionable than people already think it is
I don't see how it is questionable because of that. It is just saying what happened without any sugar coating.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1492 on: March 30, 2015, 12:21:09 am »

People do awful things. The Bible records people doing awful things. Therefore, the Bible is terrible.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: March 30, 2015, 12:24:24 am »

People do awful things. The Bible records people doing awful things. Therefore, the Bible is terrible.
I hope you are being sarcastic.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1494 on: March 30, 2015, 12:25:24 am »

I'm misrepresenting Descan's logic.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: March 30, 2015, 12:28:09 am »

According to google:

ter·ri·ble
ˈterəb(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: terrible

extremely or distressingly bad or serious.
    "a terrible crime"
    synonyms:   dreadful, awful, appalling, horrific, horrifying, horrible, horrendous, atrocious, abominable, deplorable, egregious, abhorrent, frightful, shocking, hideous, ghastly, grim, dire, unspeakable, gruesome, monstrous, sickening, heinous, vile; More
    serious, grave, acute;
    informalgodawful;
    formalgrievous
    "a terrible crime"
    severe, extreme, intense, acute, excruciating, agonizing, unbearable, intolerable, unendurable
    "he was in terrible pain"
    very bad, dreadful, awful, deplorable, atrocious, hopeless, worthless, useless, poor, pathetic, pitiful, lamentable, appalling, abysmal;
    informallame, lousy, brutal, painful, crappy, godawful
    "the movie was terrible"
    antonyms:   minor, negligible, slight, brilliant, excellent
        extremely unpleasant or disagreeable.
        "the weather was terrible"
        informal
        used to emphasize the extent of something unpleasant or bad.
        "what a terrible mess"

Given the gravity of the bible, and its implications if true, I would say that "Terrible" is an appropriate adjective, if a little obtuse.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: March 30, 2015, 12:31:26 am »

That does not make it any less unpleasant.
I'm sorry that life is unpleasant. That is something everybody has to deal with.

Life is not "unpleasant". Life just "is". Labelling someone as despised by your god makes it more unpleasant than it should be. Acting based on that faith based belief makes it unpleasant for those on the end of it. Having to defend themselves from faith based accusations of this nature - that is something people should NOT have to deal with. Those of us that do not share your faith are dealing with it, by making life more pleasant for those you would marginalise with your views. That is something you are going to have to deal with.

No. You're trying to shoot the messenger. That is what the bible says and he made no reference to his personal opinion. The Holy Bible says that gays are evil and Mein Kampf says that gays and jews are evil and Atlas Shrugged says that people who beloeve in helping pthers are evil; whether or not these opinions are true or morally correct to have makes no difference to the fact that that is what these books say
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 30, 2015, 12:55:30 am »

I very much doubt that Adam and Eve were married, unless God presided over that himself. And he had fallen out with them before they even thought of squeezing out children.
Were they sinning?
Was God sinning when he got Mary pregnant? I don't think it says in the bible that god didn't do it physically.

Also, I repeat, the bible's stance on homosexuality is obviously a reflecion of the times just as the whole not eating pork thing was. Should we not eat pork?
Adam and Eve were married. God gave Eve to Adam as a wife.

God didn't "do it" with Mary either. God put Jesus in the womb.
And my father put me in the womb too.

He's referring to surrogacy
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: March 30, 2015, 07:58:20 am »

That does not make it any less unpleasant.
I'm sorry that life is unpleasant. That is something everybody has to deal with.

Life is not "unpleasant". Life just "is". Labelling someone as despised by your god makes it more unpleasant than it should be. Acting based on that faith based belief makes it unpleasant for those on the end of it. Having to defend themselves from faith based accusations of this nature - that is something people should NOT have to deal with. Those of us that do not share your faith are dealing with it, by making life more pleasant for those you would marginalise with your views. That is something you are going to have to deal with.

No. You're trying to shoot the messenger. That is what the bible says and he made no reference to his personal opinion. The Holy Bible says that gays are evil and Mein Kampf says that gays and jews are evil and Atlas Shrugged says that people who beloeve in helping pthers are evil; whether or not these opinions are true or morally correct to have makes no difference to the fact that that is what these books say
I made a mistake earlier. God Loves Adulturers and Gays, but hated adultry and homosexuality. He loves the people but hates the sin.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:01 am »

Then why create them with that sin? It's not a hindrance to free will if you make all men want a woman naturally. They would still be able to choose to sleep with a man, but it would be sin.
Instead, men naturally desire other men. Why?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 521