I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580266 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2490 on: July 12, 2015, 12:36:36 am »

Yes.

I am not an adherent, but the gods, and their servitors in the heavens are not themselves omnipotent, nor are they truly immortal.  The way I have read of this, is that the Narakas (hells) and the Nirvanas (heavens) experience time differently than the earth plane does, and the beings living in them live substantially longer regardless.

A person who is sadly born into say, the crushing death Naraka, can expect to be crushed to "death" repeatedly for several thousand years, at least, before they finally actually get to really die, and get reincarnated on another plane.  Karmic consequences (A much better term to use than "debt") can take time to manifest, and thereby manipulate how the next incarnation will go. 

Japa is probably a better source on the topic, I have only passively read on it for comparative religious investigation on pure curiosity. Japa has however, gotten to sample the full ethnic religious experience.

The issue I had was that he said that all gods except Krishna are ultimately mortal. It was my understanding that Krishna was an avatar of Vishnu so if Krishna is completely immortal than Vishnu should be too.

I was already aware of the thing with the gods aging. IIRC I remember reading that Brahma is said to age the equivalent of a day every 4-8 billion years, Vishnu ages the equivalent of a day in the time it takes Brahma to die of old age and be reincarnated, and Shiva ages the equivalent of a day in the time it takes Vishnu to grow old, die, and be reincarnated
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: July 12, 2015, 01:59:40 am »

Like I said, separate branch of hinduism with slightly different beliefs.

We believe that Vishnu is an incarnation of Krishna, not the other way around, with Krishna being immortal, and Vishnu being more temporary.

And there's not just one Vishnu either. There's Mahavishnu, for whom a single breath is the birth and creation of entire universes, of which there are millions.

Then there is your normal Vishnu, who lives with his wife Lakshmi in the milk ocean, who's job is maintaining the universe, putting him as the more important of the big three demigods, the other two being Brahma, who's job is creation, and Shiva, who's job is destruction.

Then finally there's a Vishnu that resides in the center of every atom in the universe.

Krishna, on the other hand, doesn't have a job. He just lives in his abode, outside the material world, meaning outside all the millions of universes, and the ocean they are in, where he is eternally 16, and just  plays around, enjoying himself, all day, erry day.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2492 on: July 12, 2015, 05:09:45 am »

Krishna sounds like a bro

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: July 12, 2015, 10:37:13 am »

where does glob, the cosmic owl and prismo fit into all of that?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: July 12, 2015, 11:43:36 am »

Same place as God.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: July 12, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »

They don't exist?

Within the particular religion, I mean.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: July 12, 2015, 05:30:29 pm »

Krishna, on the other hand, doesn't have a job. He just lives in his abode, outside the material world, meaning outside all the millions of universes, and the ocean they are in, where he is eternally 16, and just  plays around, enjoying himself, all day, erry day.
Krishna sounds like a bro
I think we imagine Krishna sitting around relaxing in some historical setting, i.e. in a nice ancient dwelling, in a way that would have made sense for people back them. But of course this is nonsense. Krishna's lifestyle would not be limited by any human time period's technology or way of life. That just plainly doesn't make any sense when you think about it. Clearly, Krishna has not just every game console and form of entertainment that exists, he has all the forms of entertainment that could exist, in any one of those millions of universes. We can't begin to imagine how much fun Krishna is having.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: July 12, 2015, 05:37:15 pm »

I have seen into the veil of reality and realized that every prepubescent spewing curses at you over voice chat is, in fact, Krishna. All glory to being teabagged by the almighty!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: July 12, 2015, 05:44:39 pm »

I have seen into the veil of reality and realized that every prepubescent spewing curses at you over voice chat is, in fact, Krishna. All glory to being teabagged by the almighty!
Praise be!
thincake

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: July 12, 2015, 05:55:16 pm »

And there's not just one Vishnu either. There's Mahavishnu, for whom a single breath is the birth and creation of entire universes, of which there are millions.

Then there is your normal Vishnu, who lives with his wife Lakshmi in the milk ocean, who's job is maintaining the universe, putting him as the more important of the big three demigods, the other two being Brahma, who's job is creation, and Shiva, who's job is destruction.

Then finally there's a Vishnu that resides in the center of every atom in the universe.

Now are all these Vishnus different deities with the same name, or are they ultimately the same entity like the Holy Trinity or Amon-Ra
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: July 12, 2015, 05:58:47 pm »

The real question, at least for me, is:

Why worship the divine equivalent of a lazy teenager?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: July 12, 2015, 06:18:03 pm »

Because bits of it incarnate as the stuff that does... well, most everything, going by what Japa posted. It's more or less a less finicky version of the trinity, really.

It's not like most of the other major religions have a better deity option, though. I'll take lazy teenager over psychopathic lazy teenager with severe ego issues any day of the week.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: July 12, 2015, 06:38:30 pm »

I might be misunderstanding this, but I think it's less of a "worship him because he'll get angry and punish you if you don't" and more "worship him because the nature of the universe rewards worship of him."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: July 13, 2015, 12:33:37 am »

Yeah, the idea is that the universe itself is a shitty place, by its very nature, but if you worship Krishna he'll pull you out of it. Otherwise you can deal with what comes on your own.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: July 13, 2015, 09:03:56 am »

I kind of like that, I think. Generally, I don't want to go to heaven. I quite like where I am, and would much rather if God (were he to exist) would just leave me here.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 521