I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582104 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #2896 on: September 26, 2015, 10:50:54 am »

Saudi authorities not to blame for tragedy: "All complaints should be addressed to God."

So, in other words, that priest is saying that it's not his/the religion's fault that so many people died attending something to do with the religion, but it's fate and therefore nothing can be done?

Well that's stupid. Another case of religion trying to hold back advancement (in this case, safety,) though mainly just so they can save face.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: September 26, 2015, 12:15:03 pm »

Saudi authorities not to blame for tragedy: "All complaints should be addressed to God."

So, in other words, that priest is saying that it's not his/the religion's fault that so many people died attending something to do with the religion, but it's fate and therefore nothing can be done?

Well that's stupid. Another case of religion trying to hold back advancement (in this case, safety,) though mainly just so they can save face.
I'd say it's not even religion, just shitty administration.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: September 26, 2015, 12:23:57 pm »

The justification for said bad admin - that it is somehow fate - is a definite religious one, though.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: September 26, 2015, 12:24:01 pm »

that has nothing to do with religion at all, just people not wanting to take blame and face consequences for their ineptitude by shifting blame. in other words everyone ever. welcome to humanity.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: September 26, 2015, 12:26:22 pm »

The shitty excuse given is a supernatural, religious one. Welcome to religion.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2901 on: September 26, 2015, 04:43:37 pm »

The guy making the excuse is a priest. Of course it's religious. It's like the Pope saying his safety's in God's hands, it'd sound weird if he blamed the Muslim equivalent of the Swiss Guard or something.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: September 27, 2015, 07:26:44 pm »

that has nothing to do with religion at all, just people not wanting to take blame and face consequences for their ineptitude by shifting blame.

That's religion
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: September 27, 2015, 07:32:16 pm »

Let me put it as clearly and succinctly as I can:

No.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: September 27, 2015, 07:37:12 pm »

Yeah, modern religions usually grant the credit to their deity, but none of the blame.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2905 on: September 27, 2015, 07:48:00 pm »

@Helgo, sounds like religion.
@Rolan, makes sense don't it? You always credit your leader with what you've done and when you fuck up your leader takes responsibility. Well, ideally anyways. If you believe in a divine leader then it stands to reason that you expect your divine leader to take responsibility for good and bad.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: September 27, 2015, 08:03:38 pm »

In apocalypse news, there is a blood moon tonight. Pope Francis, the false prophet, has been parading around America making his preparations for armageddon. New World Order is apparently in order. Tonight is going to be big, whether your views are based in bizarre astrology or Christian theology, so be prepared.

I have seen signs that something great is happening. Take TomorrowWorld, a huge electronic dance music festival happening this weekend in Georgia. The acts tonight were planned around the blood moon - clearly organized by the Devil. From the beginning the festival was assaulted by rain and floods, as God himself tried to turn people away from this celebration of dark hedonism. He was victorious and the last day (today) was cancelled - who knows what the Antichrist planned for those people? God won the battle, but let's hope He's winning the war.

I am heading out into the countryside soon to see the blood moon. Anything could happen. There have been a lot of theories about this past week that were wrong - who knew the ones about tonight were right? Whether the world is torn apart by earthquakes or some of us ascend to a new level of existence or everything changes radically in a way nobody notices, see you guys later.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: September 27, 2015, 08:04:40 pm »

@Rolan, makes sense don't it? You always credit your leader with what you've done and when you fuck up your leader takes responsibility. Well, ideally anyways. If you believe in a divine leader then it stands to reason that you expect your divine leader to take responsibility for good and bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPriOQkKd6k

All things dull and ugly
All creatures short and squat
All things rude and nasty
The Lord God made the lot

Each little snake that poisons
Each little wasp that stings
He made their brutish venom
He made their horrid wings

All things sick and cancerous
All evil great and small
All things foul and dangerous
The Lord God made them all

Each nasty little hornet
Each beastly little squid
Who made the spiky urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did

All things scabbed and ulcerous
All pox both great and small
Putrid, foul and gangrenous
The Lord God made them all

Amen
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: September 27, 2015, 08:30:01 pm »

Gosh that sure would make sense.  That's not how many modern, Biblically-illiterate Christians treat God though.  Everything good is His grace, everything bad is Satan or inexplicable or teh gays.  Or "somehow a good thing", we just don't understand how.

I had my brother over recently and I'd just like to reiterate...  Religions evolve like organisms.  Specifically symbiotes.  This is especially true of religions without central governing bodies.  Eventually, for some people, Catholicism wasn't evolving fast enough.  So Protestantism broke off as an absurdly mutagenic, adaptable...  thing.

Now we've got Christians who aren't sure that Jesus actually, like, existed...  But they totally agree with his teachings!  He was all about kindness, acceptance, forgiveness...

Blissfully unaware of the actual story of Jesus, at least the Biblical version.  Jesus is literally an abuser making a show of "hurting" himself to shame his victims into compliance.  Along with a threat of literally infinite punishment.  As if life on Earth wasn't already abuse enough...

Even the God of the Old Testament allowed people to end!  The New Testament is WORSE than all the explicit racism and sexism.  Systematic-rape sexism.  The New Testament goes even farther.

For many Christians, the religion has moved into a cyst stage where they believe basically nothing of substance.  But they're still definitely Christians, just waiting to be radicalized.  Whether it take years, or even generations.

Edit: I said "symbiotes" because religions do help people cope with life...
But I think that, arguably, religions are a parasite on spirituality.  Spirituality gives the benefit.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:31:59 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: September 27, 2015, 08:34:28 pm »

Now we've got Christians who aren't sure that Jesus actually, like, existed...  But they totally agree with his teachings!  He was all about kindness, acceptance, forgiveness...

Blissfully unaware of the actual story of Jesus, at least the Biblical version.  Jesus is literally an abuser making a show of "hurting" himself to shame his victims into compliance.  Along with a threat of literally infinite punishment.  As if life on Earth wasn't already abuse enough...

Even the God of the Old Testament allowed people to end!  The New Testament is WORSE than all the explicit racism and sexism.  Systematic-rape sexism.  The New Testament goes even farther.
That description of the New Testament's content is \stunningly accurate\.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 521