I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580292 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

See, that's why I didn't want to mention it. My brain goes weird places when I'm sleepy.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I know there is a verse that says something like: the spirit intercedes with groans.
Quote from: Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
Huh. Isn't that more or less the exact opposite of a verse detailing a recalcitrant god? Definitely seems like a rough translation, but it does read as the spirit interceding for those whose troubles ("groanings") are so deep they can't be properly communicated.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

I assumed that it was because the father will not be around sin, and we are sinners, so the holy spirit acts as a middleman. I don't know why it is groaning, maybe because of all the sin?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

What's the Greek?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I assumed that it was because the father will not be around sin, and we are sinners, so the holy spirit acts as a middleman. I don't know why it is groaning, maybe because of all the sin?
Surrounding bits of verse seem to suggest it's just because of suffering, maybe or maybe not due to sin, near as I could parse. Bit of a headache, and at least the NIV translation of romans 8 is a goddamn misery to read.

Definitely doesn't seem to be suggesting the spirit as a middlecreature, exactly, though -- later bits of roman 8, at the least, seemed to be fairly explicit about the father-bits being happy to get involved. Pretty sure there's plenty of that aspect getting involved to various degrees of directness with sinners throughout the rest of canon, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Can you expand on what happened, or is it too private? What was it that indicated what you say, if you don't mind me asking?
Oh, it was actually pretty silly.

I was in a paper airplane competition, and prayed for some wind to carry the airplane further.

I got a sudden gust of wind just as I launched it, ruining the launch and sending the plane tumbling.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

I suppose you technically got your wish.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I used to make all kinds of silly prayers like that when I was a kid. I can't say the lack of outcome shaped any of my beliefs today, though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Same. I often prayed for things to turn out some particular way, but it never seemed to impact the results.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

I've got sort of a counter example to the praying to god getting answered thing, where I essentially made an entreaty to a known fictional god and got an answer. :P

So basically I was playing Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube and or really old TV and we were currently having a lot of difficulties beating the Summon Spirit of Lightning, Volt. After a few times losing to it I jokingly picked up our cat (who was a great sport for this sort of thing) and lightly tossed him onto the top bunk bed that was placed right over the top of the TV while saying "I make this sacrificial offering to the great god of lightning, Volt!". Instant the cat touches the bed there was a sudden power surge that made both the gamecube and tv turn off, along with all the clocks, radio, etc. (nothing was fried, they all just either turned off from the surge or did a reset). After laughing at it for a bit my brother and I restart the Gamecube and stomp the guy we were having so much trouble with without any of the problems we were having in previous fights against him showing up at all.

The experience didn't really effect my later choice of belief in life (which is atheism), but I'd guess you could say that it definitely stands for me as an example that sometimes crazy coincidences do happen, and just because they happen to occur right after you entreat some sort of a supernatural entity doesn't necessarily mean that said entity actually heard you and responded. (Alternatively I need to get in touch with the Tales of Symphonia dev's and find out which one of them has got an in with the powers that be. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Like I said, it was pretty silly.

But it did strike me at the time as a "Okay, here, now leave me alone" kind of answer.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

I think I should avoid this thread when I'm sleepy. The way I interpreted that resulted in a train of thought that led to a "Yo momma" joke about Jesus.

So non-Catholic Christianity then
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

... ew.

I know there is a verse that says something like: the spirit intercedes with groans.
Quote from: Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

"Wherefore my bowels shall sound like an harp for Moab, and mine inward parts for Kirharesh." -Isiah 16:11 KJV
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

Instant the cat touches the bed there was a sudden power surge that made both the gamecube and tv turn off, along with all the clocks, radio, etc.
And that's why you gotta be careful with cats: their animal magnetism is very strong.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 521