I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580318 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #5205 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:35 pm »

God very easily could have planned and or shaped this evolution and would still be ultimately be responsible for any life that appeared, or the universe that created and housed them.
That is something I haven't heard before. I choose to believe that God made most animals, plants, etc basically how they were today, and evolution made only slight changes to divide them into individual species. Humans and apes were created separately during the creation. And we were made in the image of God.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39:03 pm »

If we were made literally in the image of God, as in we look like God looks, then that'd mean God is a mortal human being with human features. The interpretation that I usually hear is that "in the image of God" means that we have a great spiritual capacity, including self-awareness, love, a soul, etc.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:37 pm »

Well scientific evidence tells us that there were millions of years before life we would even recognize existed on Earth, it's honestly true that God could have faked all the fossils and rock layers he wanted to throw us off(though I doubt this is the case, I honestly believe it's possible). If we were made in the image of God, I think it's more in the sense that we are capable of thinking, reasoning, creating, and doing things instead of being a carbon copy of His physical form. For example, I'd hazard a guess that God wouldn't have a reproductive system in physical form (except as Jesus), as our reproductive systems are our means of reproducing, whereas God can make whatever He wants without sexual reproduction.

Somewhat Ninja'd

Edit Note: I find it extremely unlikely that the Earth's history was faked by God. I'm merely stating that it's within His realm of possibility. I still would probably bet all of my worldly possessions that we evolved from single-called organisms and dinosaurs existed etc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:11:38 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5208 on: February 24, 2016, 10:47:19 pm »

Nah m8 it's fractals all the way down and up and beyond

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: February 24, 2016, 11:05:09 pm »

Nah m8 it's fractals all the way down and up and beyond

Oddly enough, this matches my beliefs more than Quartz's comments.

And about the "made in God's image" thing, I think that evolution happens and God created a universe with the proper conditions for it but he also directs things along the way. And I believe that people are physically (not just mentally/spiritually) made in God's  image (although my ideas about the nature of God differ from most Christians, since I believe that there are three separate beings rather than a trinity and that the Father and Son have physical bodies, with the Spirit still a spirit).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: February 24, 2016, 11:13:09 pm »

God very easily could have planned and or shaped this evolution and would still be ultimately be responsible for any life that appeared, or the universe that created and housed them.
That is something I haven't heard before. I choose to believe that God made most animals, plants, etc basically how they were today, and evolution made only slight changes to divide them into individual species. Humans and apes were created separately during the creation. And we were made in the image of God.
As with all important things, the answer lies in Filk.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: February 24, 2016, 11:30:51 pm »

Well scientific evidence tells us that there were millions of years before life we would even recognize existed on Earth, it's honestly true that God could have faked all the fossils and rock layers he wanted to throw us off(though I doubt this is the case, I honestly believe it's possible). If we were made in the image of God, I think it's more in the sense that we are capable of thinking, reasoning, creating, and doing things instead of being a carbon copy of His physical form. For example, I'd hazard a guess that God wouldn't have a reproductive system in physical form (except as Jesus), as our reproductive systems are our means of reproducing, whereas God can make whatever He wants without sexual reproduction.

Somewhat Ninja'd

Edit Note: I find it extremely unlikely that the Earth's history was faked by God. I'm merely stating that it's within His realm of possibility. I still would probably bet all of my worldly possessions that we evolved from single-called organisms and dinosaurs existed etc.
tfw you realize that, going off the old testament, god's actually kind of a dick, but when he knocked up Mary, figured he had to try and be a good dad. Jesus reformed God. :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: February 25, 2016, 04:25:54 am »

As with all important things, the answer lies in Filk.

It's sad that I knew what the song would be before I clicked it.

As for evolution, if pain is god's megaphone for a deaf word, and he uses it like a chisel forming a statue (for our own good) then why can't evolution (the physical manifestation of the changes hardship brings to bear on a species) be the process by which we see the statue created. Of course, given that it's likely all animals came from the same place, the other animals we see are the ones who have not yet been so well formed. As such, when God saw us creeping along a fairly accurate trajectory towards His image he decided to intervene with the bible and such.

Not saying I believe it, I'm just being...uh... God's Advocate.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: February 25, 2016, 04:30:30 am »

god has some frigging explaining to do in that case

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5214 on: February 25, 2016, 04:34:45 am »

As for evolution, if pain is god's megaphone for a deaf word, and he uses it like a chisel forming a statue (for our own good) then why can't evolution (the physical manifestation of the changes hardship brings to bear on a species) be the process by which we see the statue created. Of course, given that it's likely all animals came from the same place, the other animals we see are the ones who have not yet been so well formed. As such, when God saw us creeping along a fairly accurate trajectory towards His image he decided to intervene with the bible and such.

Not saying I believe it, I'm just being...uh... God's Advocate.
I think you'll find a large number of Christians these days believe something along those lines. "Evolution's just the way God gets things done", etc.

god has some frigging explaining to do in that case
Yeah, there's a lot of flaws with human bodies and such. Like the blind spot, or telomeres decaying, or... sin.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: February 25, 2016, 04:36:04 am »

sin was a concept that people came up with from back when dualism was still the generally accepted explanation for consciousness and you know it buddy, can't really theologically say that it's a flaw of this mortal flesh when souls are supposed to exist

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5216 on: February 25, 2016, 05:04:00 am »

To be fair, most of the Biblical support for souls consists of people using the word soul, which more-or-less means "inmost being", rather than "magical spirit doodad that follows you around or something".

And even then, the Bible consistently ascribes sin to the body, not the soul. Except under Calvinism the soul is also corrupt.

IMO the best interpretation is that the soul is part of (or at least fundamentally connected to) the body; which is imperfect because/therefore sin is a thing. The soul isn't a separate dohickey, and there's not really any reason for it to be a supernatural thing anyway.

E: Kinda rambly. It's late, sue me.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: February 25, 2016, 08:41:49 am »

The way I see it, it's fairly observable that the soul/spirit/mind is a thing that lives in the brain, not outside the body. Though that does raise the question of how your soul would end up in heaven when your brain is destroyed. I suppose it's not impossible that god simply scans your brain at the moment of death...
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: February 25, 2016, 09:16:10 am »

That's the thing about religious theory. None of it's impossible - nothing is - it's just improbable.

Yes, I know I've said that ten thousand times. To quote OW, "sue me" :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: February 25, 2016, 09:20:04 am »

The bible does almost nothing to describe what the soul is supposed to be, it just gives out an idea of something that inherent to all people but at the same time separate from the body and that remains after death. The soul isn't isn't described as being somewhere within the body, either, at least not in the bible, AFAIK.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 521