I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582106 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Kirpan
« Reply #5655 on: July 08, 2016, 12:34:45 am »

First Church of Misaka, huh. That probably actually exists somewhere. One of those small ones, hosted more in individual residences than dedicated buildings.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Kirpan
« Reply #5656 on: July 08, 2016, 12:36:36 am »

PTW. 
Edit: oh shit, I thought this was the railgun and spirituality thread, my bad.
It is now!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Railgun
« Reply #5657 on: July 08, 2016, 12:41:58 am »

So, there's no way to describe the trinity that's not a heresy in some way? Or is "It's a paradox lol" pretty much canon?
Where did the idea of the trinity come from, anyway?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #5658 on: July 08, 2016, 12:43:50 am »

The need to explain the relationship between the Father, Jesus, and the Spooky Ghost. Many explanations were raised, and after a few centuries of spirited genocide the Chalcedonians emerged victorious by virtue of making the least sense.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5659 on: July 08, 2016, 12:44:44 am »

So, there's no way to describe the trinity that's not a heresy in some way? Or is "It's a paradox lol" pretty much canon?
A Divine Mystery™ is the official canon, which basically means "fuck if I know"

St Augustine coined the term AFAIK, although the idea behind the doctrine has been floating around since the Arian heresy started to be a thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: July 08, 2016, 06:03:39 am »

St Augustine coined the term AFAIK, although the idea behind the doctrine has been floating around since the Arian heresy started to be a thing.
All catholics secretly arians. Heil Mary.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:11:49 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: July 08, 2016, 06:06:07 am »

I know you study history; This is for the benefit of those who don't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism
[EDIT: broken quote]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: July 08, 2016, 07:25:35 am »

The holy trinity is the Capacitor, the Rail and the holy projectile, and that is cannon.
The council of gauss was heresy and followers of coilgun will be expunged.
Velocitas Eradico!   

But seriously this is as bad as heli-kin taking over the sexuality thead.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: July 08, 2016, 07:29:09 am »

The holy trinity is the Capacitor, the Rail and the holy projectile, and that is cannon.
The council of gauss was heresy and followers of coilgun will be expunged.
Velocitas Eradico!   

But seriously this is as bad as heli-kin taking over the sexuality thead.
That was just an #eggmode heli-kin thread.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: July 08, 2016, 07:34:44 am »

I know you study history; This is for the benefit of those who don't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism
[EDIT: broken quote]
I think somebody needs a name hangs to BorkBorkLinksTheWiki
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: July 09, 2016, 07:48:11 pm »

Again, even if I had some reason to believe... I don't think I could accept that.

A deity who demands perfection but creates imperfection but then offers unconditional forgiveness, but only if said imperfect creations believe in a certain thing with no evidence?
That just seems so bizarre to me.

The fickle whims of the fey at least admit their non-rationality.  Playing a fey game might offer some boon.  Probably a tricky one, but that's a boon in itself right?  A spice to life.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had dependents.  I'd bet with the ""sure"" religion which offered safety.  But since I don't, so I'd rather have an interesting life.

And more importantly than what I'd want, fey-trickery makes infinitely more sense than some absent father-analogue creator offering forgiveness for the despicable way it made me.
Read into that all you want, but under a fair reading of judeo-christian texts I'm not actually responsible for what I am.  I had no choice, and I'm suffering the quote-unquote "sin" of some ancient greatX-grandfather.
And my only chance is to circumstancially adopt a redemption belief system from the most recent 0.5% of human history?

I don't believe I *deserve* absolute salvation.  I sinned against my morals, and I regret that.  And if I still get infinite perfection as a reward despite my unresolved shame, if I say sorry, I guess God is someone who values apology over reasonable morality.

If there's any justice, I belong in some analogue of purgatory (at least for some finite time).  But that's not how common US Christianity works.  The apologetic are saved, the confused burn eternally.

If I do join any Abrahamic denomination, it will certainly be Catholicism.  It resonates with me.  I need some punishment for what I've done, or I cannot feel clean.  Like karma.

But looking at reality, I'm more likely to keep believing in fickle, blue-green-morality aliens who play with us.

Edit:  Or the Cathars, actually.  In fact Catharism over Catholicism. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:15:16 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: July 10, 2016, 01:45:19 am »

I agree to some extent. Not about belief in the fey (though I'd certainly choose it over Christianity by a large margin) but in their fickleness. For instance, the Greek gods. They're often cruel, even human, and that this fickleness be reflected in nature, including the human nature which they made.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: July 10, 2016, 02:11:38 am »

I need some punishment for what I've done, or I cannot feel clean.
Kinky, but we have places for that now other than churches.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5668 on: July 10, 2016, 01:28:26 pm »

Can't you just punish yourself?

Unrelated to previous sentence: I've discussed religion with my formerly-agnostic father and Catholic mother. It was quite interesting.

Spoiler: story (click to show/hide)

I'm going to continue being Catholic, because a possible application of the Bible and other Catholic stuff agrees with my own ethics. It's not the Catholic God I believe in, nor the Pope, nor the church authorities. It's the ethics I derive from what I believe to be a mainly fictional book. And I only believe in them because I agree with them. Mostly.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: July 10, 2016, 06:27:38 pm »

I wonder what a survey of self-professed Catholics would turn up as compared to official church position.  Especially, whether they knew it was or not.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 521