I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582178 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6210 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:31 am »

Wow. You... Really don't understand anything about that, do you?

wow look at this intelligent and constructive convo were having
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: November 20, 2017, 01:37:31 am »

since like, five seconds of google would tell you why you're wrong, there's no point in saying anything beyond a "wow how do you even survive"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: November 20, 2017, 01:42:18 am »

since like, five seconds of google would tell you why you're wrong, there's no point in saying anything beyond a "wow how do you even survive"

Can I please sig this. Please. This is the Internet in a sentence.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: November 20, 2017, 01:54:16 am »

wow look at this intelligent and constructive convo were having
Well I would love to address actual arguments, but, well, apparently people aren't capable of doing anything more that calling me ignorant, which doesn't really qualify as an argument... I mean, I could maybe counter it by providing my life story, but that isn't really practical and doesn't really make for much of an argument either... I was rather hoping that it would illustrate just how empty the comment really was, but I guess it only half-worked because you seem to have attributed me as having the same lack of interest in rationality and (apparently) further attributing me as having a lack of originality...

But mostly it was off-topic and thus not worth actually engaging formally. I cited an example in the interests of being fair to religion by citing that this was not only a problem with religious issues. It is easy to get into an argument over religion being responsible for a property when the actual argument is that religion merely possesses such a property. People often expect others to be familiar with their culture, even while not a part of, or even directly in contact with that culture. Religion is a particularly potent example of this because bits and pieces of it are heavily distributed, deliberately, and people get extremely sensitive about its portrayal, which is extremely stupid when you put the two facts together. But Discrimination, especially racial, given the cultural separations that tend to surround race, is also a similar case. Not quite so heavily distributed but it still gets around, especially the language separate from its meaning(which yes, if people had much sense they would try to negate that meaning rather than exacerbating it, but I do understand that people lack sense, also, if you had actually read what I wrote you might have noticed that I explicitly cited it as an example of someone's culture not making sense to an outsider. So, ugh, thankyou for agreeing with me? but no thankyou for choosing to insult me instead of, you know, actually carrying on some sort of actual debate, or being on topic, or...) and sometimes slurs can be identical to terms with completely different etymologies and people are perfectly capable of being provoked to violence because they think that someone is being offensive according to their culture even when they are completely immersed in a different part of the world with a different culture in which their racial issues are not relevant.

So yes, this is not just religion being stupid. Lots of things are stupid about expecting people to treat the stuff they ship overseas as though it was the most sacred thing in the world. It is stupid whether it is religious or not. You can place your own standards over people within your own religion, but it is not justified to expect the same of those outside of it. Even if they are tentatively following the same religion but it turns out that they are doing their own flavour of it... so it basically isn't okay ever, because you really can't know if they are part of your group or not because these things splinter off into subgroups all the time, and it is questionable as to how much consistency you can expect even of people who claim to be in the same group.

If you are not actually trying to get people to join your religion, then you can reasonably expect them to treat it with some respect, on account of them actually having to find out about your religion somehow, and if they don't respect it then they probably don't know enough to properly debase it. If your religion has a policy of recruitment though? Then tough luck...

But if you disagree, then feel free to submit angry letters to all the people who abuse the identities of Hades, Hel, Kali, Anubis...

Removed the things that you did not, in fact, say. It begs the question as to why you would say anything at all.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:57:50 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6214 on: November 20, 2017, 02:21:35 am »

It would be best if the thread became less guideline-endangering...  there's a bit of a problem in that the OP is gone.  I'm not sure how much steering this thread has needed in the past, but it might be unhealthy for it to remain completely rudderless.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: December 03, 2017, 02:18:55 pm »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: December 03, 2017, 02:36:13 pm »

This Is What Monarchists Actually Believe
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: December 03, 2017, 03:07:04 pm »

Wat.

Given that the church minister is Scottish, I guess it should surprise no one that he's being critical of the monarchy.

That breaks the thread guidelines, yeah, though th4dwarfy1 is just going "what the?" at it.

@ToadyOne there's another religion thread or two floating around I believe.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: December 03, 2017, 05:21:06 pm »

Do I discovered recently that I'm Deist.

Nice to know there's a name for it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: December 03, 2017, 10:15:28 pm »

Do I discovered recently that I'm Deist.

Nice to know there's a name for it.
Whats the difference between deist and theist? There are to many ists to keep track of.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: December 03, 2017, 10:32:59 pm »

Deists are those who believe God made the universe but then decided to skip town.

Theists just believe in the existence of God or gods.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: December 03, 2017, 10:49:23 pm »

Yeah, pretty much two main beliefs I have:

1: God did create the Universe.
2: Any person or book claiming to contain his word is false.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6222 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:28 am »

I'm kind of curious, but I might just be misunderstanding - doesn't that mean that you ought to also hold yourself to be wrong?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: December 04, 2017, 02:10:47 am »

There's a very real possibility that I could be wrong.

Simplest way to explain my reasoning is this:

Either A: holy book x is the only one out of millions that holds the true word of god.

or B: There is no holy book that actually contains the word of god, all are written by humans.

B seems more likely.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: December 04, 2017, 03:30:40 am »

I feel as though the biggest selling point of religion is death. Do you not care about that, or think that god has only abandoned the physical but is still present for afterdeath shenanigans or that there is some system in place or something?

Did god have a plan as to how things would turn out? Or would that not even matter...

Do you have any thoughts on whether god is coming back?

If none of these, what influence do you think people are likely to get out of this religion?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 521