Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2936 2937 [2938] 2939 2940 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5933641 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44055 on: December 01, 2015, 05:01:25 pm »

Further inspection has left me with a commander who likes spears, so I'm opting to retrain her and use the odd man out as a soldier as well.

Further digging lead to us immediately hitting a chalk layer, which probably means below that is some galena and tetrahedrite. as I haven't played so basic it hurts vanilla, I'll have to actually hunt around for ore, though during the initial stairwell dig we also hit some tin ore, albeit a cluster as opposed to a vein.

First order of business: A tavern and for residents, a dining hall/temporary housing.

EDIT: And game crash. Goody.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44056 on: December 01, 2015, 05:14:27 pm »

My first 42.01 merchant caravan finally came and "No outpost liaison. How curious." , probably meaning my original civ is destroyed, but oddly as i can't seize the dwarven merchant items, i guess i'm now part of that new civ.

Looking on the civ panel, their queen is a goblin actually.

Anyways, i had made tons and tons of wooden craft in prevision of the merchant arrival, and after trading, offering etc... my broker that had 0 appraisal skill is now at Competent, wow that skill trains faster than i thought.

Got a few weapons in the trade, great to start my military now .

My annoyance is that i embarked on an aquifer, so as long as i don't pierce it with the related techniques, i'm having only a few mudstone rock for my rock-based production.
At least i secured the fort now, with a wall and a raisable bridge linked to a lever

Of course all covered by a good roof to prevent enemy climbing and jumping, though in case the non climbing enemies i had in df2014 are fixed too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now waiting for anything hostile to come to test my military, with the hope they will actually come now the pathing is supposed to be fixed, the bad memories of how uneventful df2014 forts were are still there.

Meanwhile i'll go start the aquifer piercing work

EDIT
oh wow, i was expecting gobs, but didn't expected them to come, as when i embarked there was no tower around
My military is not ready yet to test if the undead are still silly overpowered from df2014 or have been rebalanced, i'll turtle behind my walls for now.

EDIT 2
they left the map nearly immediately, i guess they were just going to somewhere else and happened to be moving through.
Oh well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:22:27 pm by Robsoie »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44057 on: December 01, 2015, 05:16:05 pm »

Baaaah it's 10 and I have to get up early tomorrow and wanted to catch up on sleep but the temptaion to dowload is so great and I'm about to go into a busy period :'( :'( :'( I'm so split.

Oh well, the longer waited, the fewer bugs. Just gonna haveta not read much of the DF forums for a bit.
One wheel short of a wagon

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44058 on: December 01, 2015, 05:31:05 pm »

First 42.01 fort... breached the caverns, got a troll.

Troll runs up to the top of my fort, doesn't attack anyone, topples a door, and stands there.  Dwarves don't care.  Troll doesn't care.  Dwarves happily path around the troll, as though it were any other animal.  It shows up as a "Wild Animal" in the Units list.

Save, reload. Troll still stubbornly standing still doing nothing, dwarves still ignoring it, 4 steps from my dining hall.  Ok, time to take action.  Build a cage trap where the troll is standing, immediately catch a troll.

Now it's a - troll (☥) cage (blood thorn)- but it's not trainable. :(  Ah well.

EDIT:
Also just realized after a year has passed, I had no visit from either a liaison or caravan, from my dead civ.  No message, nothing.  Maybe that's a new behavior?  If so, that's awesome!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:37:54 pm by vjek »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44059 on: December 01, 2015, 05:47:35 pm »

Methinks I dun goofed embarking on this cave instead of in the woods, as it turns out I'm not the only one who decided this would be a great place to set up shop - so did a local bandit gang (or possibly a state-sponsored raiding party.) The settlers must arm themselves as best they can and hope for the best, as they have only six hounds, basic tools, and some ashen shields between them.

At least the group is scattered around. Might be able to win with some luck and the miners not running...

EDIT: Killed the lasher, who wandered over all friendly-like and proceeded to kill a dog after a brief bit of chit-chat. The Expedition Leader took offense to this, and the resultant duel of scourge vs mining pick ended with Goblin McLasher ending up as Goblin McBrainPicked.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44060 on: December 01, 2015, 06:10:25 pm »

Just got my first 42.01 artifact, a wooden mini-forge toy and from the disapointing description i guess the dwarf has been less than inspired when he created it
worth 3600*
edit : oops didn't noticed i forgot a / in the img tags, thanks for pointing
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:34:32 pm by Robsoie »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44061 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16:50 pm »

Just got my first 42.01 artifact, a wooden mini-forge toy and from the disapointing description i guess the dwarf has been less than inspired when he created it
worth 3600*
Here's to hoping that children get happy thoughts from playing with expensive toys in this new update, and that your artifact will bring much joy to the children of your fortress.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44062 on: December 01, 2015, 06:27:21 pm »

First item produced besides a dead guy: A freaking masterpiece shield! I couldn't have asked for a better piece from my carpenter! This will surely need to be put to use shortly; I've no doubt the visiting lasher will be missed soon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44063 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:08 pm »

worth 3600*
fixed your image

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44064 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:42 pm »

Made a tavern (the random name was: "The fleshy saffron") and soon got a visitor. Litast Memedalath the marksdwarf came to the tavern to socialize, relax and was "curious about the fleshy saffron". She also promptly started telling a story to the dwarves who were hanging around.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44065 on: December 01, 2015, 06:41:17 pm »

Flailed around a bit until i spotted the new job options and how to make a tavern. Originally, everyone kept standing around in the meeting area with "no job" and got slightly miffed about inactivity.h Now everyone's partying it up telling stories and reciting poems. There was even a half-a-second singalong once. The outpost liaison decided not to go home and a human crossbowman came to visit. I sure hope the hummie doesn't start a brawl.

No idea how bookproduction works yet. I managed to make some sheets but nothing beyond that. I'm probably still missing some steps. Perpetual-motion minecart bugs appear to be alive and well.

PS: so's the "building in a tree" crash. Take care.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:47:04 pm by Larix »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44066 on: December 01, 2015, 06:46:04 pm »

Killed two more goblins, at the price of an injured dwarf who got her arm broken in a lock. We may need to kill a pack animal for its hair to do some suturing, but thankfully some wood can be used to help set it and a patch of tent can be repurposed to dress the wound. I've discharged some of the group, and the next target is a goblin axeman...

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44067 on: December 01, 2015, 07:07:25 pm »

All the dwarves in my fort suddenly decided that they had to kill every gray langur on the map, and all of them are rushing outside to do so...

edit:
I think it all might have started when a visitor who was leaving started attacking a langur.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:10:48 pm by lukstra »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44068 on: December 01, 2015, 07:38:03 pm »

EDIT
oh wow, i was expecting gobs, but didn't expected them to come, as when i embarked there was no tower around
My military is not ready yet to test if the undead are still silly overpowered from df2014 or have been rebalanced, i'll turtle behind my walls for now.

I got another group of enemy coming :

I was happy, finally some goblins to test my military that is by now strong (they still train as fast as in df2014) and after unpausing and waiting a bit for my civilians to rush back into burrows following my change of alert ...
Hmm ? no siege mention.
Looked at the entrance point of those invaders and ... nothing, similarly to the undead group that came and immediately exited, i wonder if it's a bug or just another stroke of bad luck and me again not being their target.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44069 on: December 02, 2015, 01:17:19 am »

...that moment you go to look at your civ to make sure they're not dead and every single person of importance is a goblin.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.
Pages: 1 ... 2936 2937 [2938] 2939 2940 ... 3838