Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 3841

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6058446 times)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8130 on: November 20, 2010, 09:58:06 pm »

The report zooms to the base of the waterfall, so we suspect the Milkfish was pushed over the edge by the water. If so, there will likely be a lot more reports like this.
The original plan was to build a grand entrance through the waterfall, but now questions are being raised about how we can safely work near the waterfall (and how we can weaponize this).

I'm doing that right now. My dorfs had no problem building grates beneath the spill, and are quite happy to walk in and out through the water. There was one cancellation due to the building site being "submerged"*, but that's it. The most trouble I've had so far is figuring out how to span the river my waterfall is flowing into. It's about 40 tiles across and bridges only extend for 10... it was tough figuring out how to do it in an aesthetically pleasing manner, but it was worth it. Finally I have a bank of ballistas with a proper firing range! 8)

But no, I can't figure out how to weaponize the waterfall itself. I'm going to try to use it for food production though. With the bridge and grates installed the fall isn't quite as tall as I'd like, but with the barracks right there, I'll always have the military on hand to put the alligators out of their misery. (Watch as the next thing that goes over the edge is a herd of angry hippos.)

Not much else to report in this fort yet. Still digging out basic rooms in a pattern that can be later adapted for storage or farming when I move farther down. Running low-ish on provisions, but my turtle catcher is learning fast, and there are plenty of pools NOT infested with alligators, stingrays, and hippos (oh my!) if we can't gather brewable plants fast enough. Naturally, having trouble making the hunter hunt, but since most of the game around here is elephant and hippo, that's probably just as well.

*If a building site can be "submerged" by 2/7 of water falling through the tile... Hmm. Does the game engine know the difference between standing and falling water when it comes to things like swimming?

It's time for ¡¡Science¡¡!
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #8131 on: November 20, 2010, 10:00:48 pm »

While Project Bloodriver and Project Coppertop sit on my home computers waiting to be resumed, I play Project Shrine while I work abroad.

The main structure is almost walled off from the second cavern to the ground level, giving me a steady, safe and endless supply of trees, not to mention a beautiful stalactite gallery.  Once I get these levels mined up and cleaned out, I'll move the stockpiles there in order to clear the main hall.  Afterwards, I will dig up, creating a stone scaffolding and then clearing it away before making a full workbench underneath what's going to be a rather lengthy and complexly-build set of contained forges, each sitting on one full block of magma.

In the meantime, I dropzone every caravan, ambush and siege by making them all go through a long hallway of bridges that soon reveals a 20 Z-level drop.  Now that I'm all stocked up, I locked the access doors to the bottom so everything can pile up and cake at my leisure.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: November 20, 2010, 10:13:37 pm »

I like cats. I could use far fewer of them in the population, but I don't have the hate or attention to spare going Wiley Coyote over plotting their demise. But I do appreciate it when they set themselves up; I mean I like them, but not enough to rescue them out of trees they know damn well they'd have to get down from.

Two of them at once milling in the filled sections of obsidian production/waste disposal. I'd already locked the doors before I noticed it and set the magma flowing. Just to be sporting, I unlocked one of the double-doors to give their self-preservation instinct a chance. Oh no, two toasted kitties, what a shame. But two more were born while I was still looking up the owers of these -- cage 'em quick!

One owner is my original invalid, laying in bed for 14 years now, only has 8 other cats! No wait, that one's dead, that one's dead...okay, she's got two surviving cats, and she's happy, resting perpetually from her injuries. O, the other one is my angry Hammerlord. He's fine, but I've gotta stop kiling his cats. He's down to two out of 13, and I really don't need him berserking on everyone.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: November 21, 2010, 01:22:45 am »

I've made a great discovery, a great facepalm, and Wipedchannels has begun a great undertaking.

Discovery/facepalm: There are fish in the damn river. My only fishing point for several years has been in the cavern.

Undertaking: Building a second entrance to Wipedchannels, closer to the river so that the fisherdorfs may do their thing.

BRB hydra.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: November 21, 2010, 05:23:35 am »

Sizzledbridges survives, with a full scale Force of Darkness providing great entertainment, although it did knock the FPS from 20 down to 6 while all the gobbos and trolls were running around. Despite three talented chaps running out into the forces trying to claim forbidden cages, they all survived by somehow leading the chasing goblins in a complicated pattern that involved at least three weapons traps, sometimes more.  And eventually they hid out of the way, near the Musk Ox ranch...

Also taken to buying all the food and spirits off human merchants, then walling them up until they go mad and die of thirst.  Then I let the guards out and loot all their stuff.  Hope they'll invade me soon.  I'm getting tired of goblins.

My fortress entrance involves a gold bridge over magma.  If it wasn't for all the forbidden loincloths littering the ground at the front gates, it would look classy...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: November 21, 2010, 08:18:21 am »

If it wasn't for all the forbidden loincloths littering the ground at the front gates, it would look classy...
Dump them in the magma.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: November 21, 2010, 08:32:13 am »

If it wasn't for all the forbidden loincloths littering the ground at the front gates, it would look classy...
Dump them in the magma.
Dump magma on them. Before they get on the ground.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: November 21, 2010, 09:08:53 am »

My new fort is next to a volcano. This means I had to deviate from the standard fort plan I use. I went into super-planning mode and made something far better as a result. Even though one of my best miners and expedition leader died in the process of tapping into the magma. But I got him a tomb with gold grave, door and statue. So all's well.

I altered d_init to only allow 50 dwarves (because I wanted to start small, then build my way up gradually) but I still get immigrants past that number! What gives!
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17:27 am »

To celebrate the season, I started the Santa Claus challenge, by creating a fort heavily relying on making and trading toys. I got over 5 craft-shops where someone is constantly making a new toy, and couple of jewelers to raise up the value. We also got toy hammer decorated with lots of jewels thats around 6000$. Perfect christmas gift for any dwarf.

The fort is build inside a glacier. There's a thick forest nearby, so we're not gonna run out of wood anytime soon. We digged deep enough and found underground cavern for a source of water and gems.

As for christmas stuff, the dwarf who is currently the leader is the "Santa Claus". He's also the broker and bookkeeper (he's making the lists, and checking them twice). The fort is also named "Earfell", where Santa is said to live (Yeah, its not necessarily the north pole). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korvatunturi

The only problem are the Yeti's. First they were all peaceful, but then one somehow got inside the fortress and ripped a dog into half. Two migrants who had fighting skills were drafted in and fortunately, they wrestled it to death. When I spotted a second Yeti, I immediately attacked him, but he got away. He managed to kill one of the wrestlers (while the other one decided to take a detour) and a fisherdwarf (pulled both of his arms off). Two less toymakers, but hey, at least red is the color of christmas. Third Yeti got a facefull of axe which was traded from one of the caravans.

Of course, I should be giving away these toys rather than trade them, but I need to fill up food and alcohol stocks. Fortunately, the dwarfs asked me to create more toys for next time.
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: November 21, 2010, 11:35:57 am »

Breached a cavern that I didn't know was there on my way to a cotton candy vein.  There were apperantly 2 FBs nearby.  One with dangerous vapors, one with poison blood.

My military managed to handle them without casualties, (though one managed to get a pretty messed up upper body, he's in the hospital now and barring an infection it looks like he'll pull through) but what worries me is that I'm seeing no indication of the poisons.  The poison vapors one got it's brain pierced with a lance before it managed to use it, so other than the small amount covering the lance I should be ok there, but the poison blood one worries me.  Both corpses have been walled off just to be safe, but my military must have gotten covered in blood.

I'm thinking my military is suddenly all going to drop dead some unforeseeable day in the future from FB cancer.  Hopefully they'll put their blood covered swords and lances to use on the gobbos before that happens though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: November 21, 2010, 11:48:15 am »

I got bored in my current fort and have decided to build a megaproject. I decided to build a memorial tower for all of my fallen dwarves in the middle of a dwarf-made lake that will be filled with memorial slabs and statues.  I'm building it out of green glass and silver, but my current dilemma is about what I should build the inside floors out of.  Should they be green glass or silver, or maybe something else (marble, maybe?) to save on fuel costs?  If I find magma, green glass for sure, but I haven't yet.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: November 21, 2010, 12:00:00 pm »

Note the last one.

He's a philosopher. WHAT WORK.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: November 21, 2010, 12:27:31 pm »

He's a philosopher. WHAT WORK.

he probably managed to convince a dwarf that he was actually an elf and convince a farmer that the plump helmets where his children and he therefore could not let anyone eat or brew them.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: November 21, 2010, 12:35:15 pm »

I really do attract weird cave-ins; within the first minute of existence of my current fort, it seems the whole cavern has collapsed on itself, obliterating a fishmen civilization in the process. Whoops. Now to reach it and see what happened...

Also attracting paraplegic dwarves. My best soldier, a macedwarf with an artifact lead mace, had his lower spine broken and lost the ability to stand... am not optimistic about him. I wonder how long this one will live before he gets euthanized by forgetful fellows. Wish we could get artifact wheelchairs.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: November 21, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »

Currently playing a heavily modded up Civ Forge 31.16 fort. Got my dwarfs set-up to not only breed quickly and grow-up fast, but also turn the tables on the elves and potentially net me some +elf tallow biscuits+. ;)

With modded in sawmills, wood producing crops, and embarking in a heavily forested area, I've begun setting up a woodcrafts based industry for the first time in addition to the stonecrafts, gems, and glass goods. Still learning how to use magma effectively, so maybe when I get bored I'll try my hand at making obsidian farms. Also got the beginnings of a metal industry started up, though I've mostly been focusing on stockpiling steel and smelting down ores/metal trade goods.

I've set about making my fort second industry a food-based one, with an emphasis on exotic meats and prepared meals. Currently training up my cooks to become legendary so I can get more profit and quality out of the biscuits. Once that's done, the brewers will be next! (Yes, ass-backwards I know, but I NEVER sell off booze.) Breeding programs are in the works for elk birds, cows, deer, dogs (for WAR BEASTS), warthogs (again WAR BEASTS!), pigs, chickens, and anything else I catch in my cages. I'd have a fishing industry too if it weren't for the fact that the stream I'm next to freezes over for almost half the game year. Next project after building up the defenses and making bedrooms will be indoor fishing lakes.

Within roughly 4 years, Summitstockades has become a trading mecca thanks to all this industry. The whole fort is currently geared to production of trade goods. I'm literally buying out everything offered by the traders with just four or five barrels worth of goods.  Biggest accomplishment has been finally buying out the Frost Giants' caravan! Now when I finally decide to turn invasions back on, I'll have some nice new toy ready for use on my goblin guests!

Barring something catastrophic happening, I get the feeling I'll be with Summitstockades for a very long time....

Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 3841