Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5908836 times)

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9675 on: January 12, 2011, 12:54:35 am »

NatureRags Post 8: Start | Previous Post(7) | Next Post(9)

For some reason ambushes are showing up instantly revealed, probably because they always have a human in them that triggers a loyalty cascade.  Then once one side wins, they immediately start sneaking again.  The kicker comes from the fact that deaths by this loyalty cascade cause some dropped items to not be properly forbidden on death... which results in clueless hoopleheads running out there to claim some random piece of clothing or goblin limb or something, triggering the rest of the ambush, and getting perforated by goblins.  There's been over a dozen ambushes so far, they tend to come in waves of 5-6, which gets chopped in half by the infighting, but it's still enough to wound a few dwarves.  Despite having shattered shoulders and upper arms, this doesn't seem to hinder them from sparring too much.

In my joy of Applying Magma directly to goblins, I forgot that master thieves don't like being pitted.  In the chaos of stripping and disposing of half a dozen goblins, a thief was tagged for pitting, got loose, and canceled the dump jobs on the master thief, which resulted in him hanging onto his iron dagger.  The poor mechanic that got tasked with pitting the master thief was thankfully also a miner, so she wounded the goblin enough to drive him off, but not before she lost a foot.  She's been resting in the hospital but I don't know if she'll ever leave.  She hasn't got any friends though, so that's good.

The overzealous butchers are killing so fast they're outpacing the hauling of 30 some dwarves.  I never thought I'd say this, but I need more haulers.  Miasma is everywhere from rotting everything, but no one seems overly concerned yet.  I think I'll just put a wall with diagonal only entrances to it around the butchers to get around this, it's been perpetually exuding a cloud of stink.  Happiness is definitely getting to be a rare commodity around here though, so it might be time to construct a waterfall machine, because I hear dwarves love drowning from a flooded fort caused by an architectural design error and pumps that were built without a shut off.

A Fish Cleaner/Potash Maker goes fey.  I finally get a fey mood and it's this useless hunk of elf.  I swear if I get artifact potash, he's got a one way trip to a premier screening of Under the Magma: A Hands On Tour of the World's Finest Volcanoes.  He claims a craftsdwarf shop, picks up stacks and stacks of bones, about 80 in all, a few other random stoneware, and gets to work under a permanent mist of miasma from the butchers shop next door.  Possibly the lamest earring in the world comes out.  Cow bone earring, 1200 dwarfbucks, no decoration despite gobbling up stone blocks, gems, wood, and enough bones to reconstruct Dwarfasaurus Rex.  At least I got a legendary bonecrafter out of it, and there's definitely no shortage of bones here.

A temporal skip has occurred! (Translation: Dwarf Fortress crashed and I had to roll back to the start of this season)  So that's the end of this post.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:41:56 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: January 12, 2011, 03:46:02 am »

The new dining hall has been completed.

And another elven caravan has arrived, but before it could reach the drawbridge it was ambushed by an insane woodcutter. One of the elves was chased off, but unfortunately the others reached the depot.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:56:36 am by Serio »

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: January 12, 2011, 05:45:16 am »

Welp... after year 5 the fort Reveredpapers has been lost.  After the ambush that left me with enough dwarves for a single squad I put them together, outfitted them in their copper armor and weapons, and began the standard job of clearing the bodies of my latest ambush, cleaning up the blood, and taking the socks which my metalsmith liked to embed with zinc and lead (no idea why).  Before I knew it however I was in luck!  Migrants for a second squad AND my dwarven trade caravan full of iron and steel bars and equipment so I could outfit BOTH my squads in iron and steel!  What luck!  And while I was happily trading away I got the lovely message... "A vile force of Darkness has arrived!"  My second squad had about maybe 2 months of training under their belt and my main squad just finished removing their gear to go back to being civilians so I had to quickly tell them all to rush to the defense of my fort and so 20 dwarves stood at my entrance, 10 in iron/steel and 10 in leather/copper, and awaited the slaughter.  Then something else lovely happened.  An Ambush.  Then another.  Then another.  Then another.  4 ambushes of almost ALL crossbow goblins plus a siege with 20 goblins of mixed weaponry.  Suffice to say... they tore my military to shreds then proceeded to beat my battle cattle, war dogs, civilians, and the traders to a bloody pulp.

I think I'm gonna search for caverns and magma from now on.  15 Z-Levels down and I hadn't encountered either.  Maybe I need a new digging strategy for discovery of these...

Edit:  I guess you could say Reveredpapers...
*puts on sunglasses*
Has folded.
YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!
(I had to do it before someone else could)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:16:22 am by MythagoWoods »
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: January 12, 2011, 06:52:03 am »

Ahh, the most revered paper tiger.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: January 12, 2011, 07:11:48 am »

Ugh, my fortress is down to >10fps in some cases with only ~112 citizens and ~100 animals.
Of course my fort would approach FPS death right as it finally becomes a barony after several years of trying.

Perhaps i'll copy it onto a thumb drive or something, and load it up on my Core 2 quad machine so i can continue it...or just keep it in stasis until DF is better optimized.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: January 12, 2011, 07:44:23 am »

Perhaps i'll copy it onto a thumb drive or something, and load it up on my Core 2 quad machine so i can continue it...
I dont see why you shouldnt do this.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:19 am »

WARNING! RUNNING DF FROM YOUR FLASH DRIVE WILL CAUSE IT TO SLOW DOWN ~5 TIMES AND WILL PROBABLY DESTROY YOUR FLASH DRIVE BECAUSE OF WRITE/REWRITE CYCLES!

(I learned the hard way  :'()
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: January 12, 2011, 08:25:46 am »

Migrants arrived in Decenthelms first summer (among them a high master armorsmith.) Also, two ogres are tromping about.

Edit; abandoned. Didn't much like the 8 vultures, no weapons and the two ogres who easily murdered Dwarfs. Too bad, it was a nice name and a nice location as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:48:14 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: January 12, 2011, 08:52:18 am »

New fort, Vucarasiz Thatthil, Urnflashes of Autumn! With an aquifer in a semi-haunted place (friggin' werewolf! Damn thing got a name within 2 minutes of playing!). My very first aquifer! And haunted place! And freezing biome!
Tried to break the aquifer 2 times. Almost succeeded the first time; alas, one of my miner, and the expedition leader, got stranded underground without the ability to come back in time without drowning. Didn't have any other available pick for migrants. Also, werewolf. Abandoned.
Second time, my attempt to drain the extra water outside through the use of outside fortifications turned out to be vain, as the border in that particular layer was entirely made of clay and un-smoothable material. Oh, and I got ambushed by the named werewolf, too. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Third time, I instead dug into the freezing river, constructed ice walls, dug some more, and put strategically-placed hatch covers just in case. The river thawed, and nothing was flooded. Why yes, it does count as breaching an aquifer. :D   
The most pleasant surprise is that nothing stole my food or weapons yet. Farms will probably go in the old river bed when the water's done flowing. Facing a dilemma however: should I bother with a magma moat, or should I make a freezing moat instead? There's so much potential with the aquifer around... mhhh. I've never done anything frozen before. Maybe I'll only use part of the bed as farmable surface, then I'll exceptionnally do nature a favor and redirect the river back to where it should flow. This way, I can make an easy moat. But how can I render it extra deadly? *ponders* ???
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: January 12, 2011, 09:06:32 am »

From Planemountain, a fortress gone back in time AKA a 23a fortress. 2nd year spring migrants come RIGHT BEHIND A HERD OF ELEPANTS!!! WHY!!!

Oh wait, this is after elephants were nerfed. The elephants ran away. Hehe.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:24 am »

Desert fortress, 7th year with low population (50-60).

The year before, the elven caravan left in a hurry after being presented some useless piece of wooden armor (probably taken from an elf corpse). Oh well...

This year, they come back, but I only notice them when they are at the entrance. I call my haulers to bring them my special reserve (former goblin loincloths stained with several blood sources, stuff like that). And of course I call my broker. Fine.

I very short while later, there's a big announcement : my broker, who also happens to be a count and the mayor, decides it's the perfect time to marry miss Digger. Both were of the 7 founders of the fortress.

The party takes ages. Finally, the broker has enough and goes eat a bite. Take a break. Sip a beer or two or ten. Finally take a long break until the elves decide to leave.

I had no need of their goods, of course. Still, it makes me wonder... was my broker so unwilling to deal with the pointed-ears?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: January 12, 2011, 10:31:08 am »

There is actually another aquifer layer.
I found out the hard way.
OH GOD THE WATER SO WET
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: January 12, 2011, 10:53:25 am »

Ogres in the very first season of Mansionran. We killed one (two woodcutters and a hunter + 3 dogs) and the other one we scared off a couple of times, wounding her. She managed to kill one of us, a doggy, by grabbing it's nose and flinging it against the hill. The dog exploded into at least four bits, two legs, tail and head are all separate from the actual corpse.

Edit; ah. All legs are in different spots. Yipes.  I wish I could butcher ogres.

Edit3; woo, the ogre bitch fled! Victory!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:59:59 am by FrisianDude »

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #9688 on: January 12, 2011, 12:03:58 pm »

Ambush...

Lots of dead...

Red, flashing ↓ everywhere...

Tantrums...

Berserker dwarfs...

MAGMA!!!!!!!!!!

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: January 12, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »

I completed my totally horrible efficient way of killing excess kittens. No this is not a tall tower, its 2 cages linked to a lever.
Surrounded on all sides by masterwork copper/steel menacing spikes of DOOM.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 3838