Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2262 2263 [2264] 2265 2266 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5938253 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33945 on: April 04, 2014, 06:43:18 am »

I've started construction of a labyrinth, which I intend to toss captives into, filled with traps and eventually some deadly creatures. Since there isn't really a random element to the pathfinding I'll instead add a bunch of pressure plates so the correct path out changes around a lot based on how many captives have been through it and how far they got (the exit will be by the map edge, so if they make it that far they're free to go).

You can build creature-operated one-way passages: e.g. a hatch over open space and a door, both linked to the same pressure plate: the creature calculates path across the hatch, steps on the plate which opens the hatch (breaking path) and the door (opening another path); 100 steps after the creature leaves the plate, both buildings will close again, pathing back through the door is not possible.

To change the path for the next creature, you'd have to "hold" signals or state changes, because pressure plate systems alone just re-set. You could do this with memory cells (branching into full-out computing), but Lielac's comment on building destroyers gives another option:

Building destroyers can reconfigure your labyrinth paths. A locked or mechanism-operated door is not passable by goblins, but once a troll went through, the path will be open (and if you use a locked door, kobolds can do the same). An ogress demolishing a hatch cover will permanently destroy path across it for later visitors. If you go three-dimensional, you can even use her to "switch" paths: use a locked hatch over a downward ramp. As long as it holds, it can be passed on the same level, but not up/down; once it's broken, vertical passage becomes possible (and some horizontal paths may break, depending on ramp layout).

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33946 on: April 04, 2014, 06:45:27 am »

I got bored and discovered you can channel through slade.
Is that normal, or..?

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33947 on: April 04, 2014, 07:18:44 am »

I've started construction of a labyrinth, which I intend to toss captives into, filled with traps and eventually some deadly creatures. Since there isn't really a random element to the pathfinding I'll instead add a bunch of pressure plates so the correct path out changes around a lot based on how many captives have been through it and how far they got (the exit will be by the map edge, so if they make it that far they're free to go).

You can build creature-operated one-way passages: e.g. a hatch over open space and a door, both linked to the same pressure plate: the creature calculates path across the hatch, steps on the plate which opens the hatch (breaking path) and the door (opening another path); 100 steps after the creature leaves the plate, both buildings will close again, pathing back through the door is not possible.

To change the path for the next creature, you'd have to "hold" signals or state changes, because pressure plate systems alone just re-set. You could do this with memory cells (branching into full-out computing), but Lielac's comment on building destroyers gives another option:

Building destroyers can reconfigure your labyrinth paths. A locked or mechanism-operated door is not passable by goblins, but once a troll went through, the path will be open (and if you use a locked door, kobolds can do the same). An ogress demolishing a hatch cover will permanently destroy path across it for later visitors. If you go three-dimensional, you can even use her to "switch" paths: use a locked hatch over a downward ramp. As long as it holds, it can be passed on the same level, but not up/down; once it's broken, vertical passage becomes possible (and some horizontal paths may break, depending on ramp layout).

Ah, I thought pressure plates worked more like levers. I want it to be self-sufficient without needing dwarven intervention for resetting. Maybe I can use water to hold the state; So the creatures step on plates, making the water move around, triggering the pressure plate that controls the path.

edit: Though I guess having it run itself would also put some restrictions on trap types.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:23:43 am by Skuggen »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33948 on: April 04, 2014, 07:24:33 am »

Ah, I thought pressure plates worked more like levers. I want it to be self-sufficient without needing dwarven intervention for resetting. Maybe I can use water to hold the state; So the creatures step on plates, making the water move around, triggering the pressure plate that controls the path.

Latching pressure plates! I mean, wowie you now have a lot more space you need to use, but-- no, wait, it requires a reset lever. Oh wait yes, you can just make the reset "lever" another pressure plate in the maze!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33949 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:59 am »

The best reference for this kind of stuff i know of:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Memory_%28computing%29

The most economical  design (in space, machinery and logic) would probably be Bloodbeard's minecart memory cell. For bonus crazy points, you could let the first creature run into a closed logic loop opening an escape path for a second creature (which could then activate the release for the first).

Afterthought concerning building destroyers: those may fail to redecorate your labyrinth as desired, because after capture and release, the "escape" pathing goal tends to override the desire to smash buildings. Even worse, such building destroyers often screw up their pathing, presumably over an escape vs. destroy pathing goal conflict, leading to them getting stuck next to a door or other destructible building forever.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:16:13 am by Larix »

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33950 on: April 04, 2014, 08:42:55 am »

Yeah, I might use a minecart instead of fluid. But on the other hand it might be neat to have the state only change after several creatures have passed over a certain plate. Would probably be hard to prevent evaporation.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33951 on: April 04, 2014, 10:58:25 am »

My valuable skeletal migrants are still fighting eachother. Is there any way I can kill one with dfhack? I can't actually control them while they are fighting eachother so I can't lure them towards hostile wildlife or anything

Edit:

"Exterminate him"

Edit 2: Anyone know where I can get my Civilization ID? I can't run this fort with only 2 warlocks
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:26:31 pm by bennerman »

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33952 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:25 pm »

Just got a diplomat from the goblins, a vampire lawgiver. However, before the diplomat could even pass through the welcome center, not one, but two goblin ambushes were sprung. Oh well, I guess the goblin civilization shows its true colors. Unfortunately, the diplomat didn't consider the ambushes a reason to forgo his spying visit and decided to see my baron anyway. Of course, after the diplomat's departure, all the traps in the welcome center were removed and upgraded from bronze to iron. Somehow I suspect the next siege will find his information to be slightly out of date.

P.S. Does anyone know if the "traps that a diplomat sees no longer work for that civilization" applies to pressure plates?
For now, just to be safe, I'm replacing the pressure plates on the goblin grinder and leaving the plates on the welcome center alone. Then next siege, I'll know the answer.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33953 on: April 04, 2014, 02:12:46 pm »

Werepig = 2/3 of manbearpig?

We need molten lead!

I'm super cereal!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33954 on: April 04, 2014, 07:56:27 pm »

Alright, my new fort had its first mood, although it was *technically* qualified for it before the last migrant wave, at 21. Now, at 49 (big migration), a random miner has been taken by a mood. Let's see what happens, shall we?
While running it for a short while longer, she ended up taking a Mason's workshop.
Interesting. At least it has a good chance of NOT being a useless trinket.
Holy crap, a raw adamantine coffin. A massive value of 601,200 dorfbucks, it has water buffalo bone on it. Whenever the monarch comes buy, this will be their tomb.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33955 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »

a siege of goblins showed up along with a tarantula FB. this gave me perfect timing to try out my new "caverns lock out" lever. one particular highlight was when one of my spearmasters charged into an entire squad of hammerdwarves. Surprisingly he didn't get a martial trance, but still fought them off, killing a hammerdwarf and their leader by stabbing him in the upper spine.

I'm gonna have to deal with that tarantula. either capture it or kill it for meat.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33956 on: April 04, 2014, 09:59:45 pm »

I had to revive all my warlocks and now I can't make them nobles. Thoughts? Because I can't play the game if I can't make them nobles

ShutUpWesley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33957 on: April 05, 2014, 12:22:20 am »

Struck some of what you might know as "cotton candy" along with some magma. Now I'm concerned about getting carried away mining it and getting visited by some "clowns".

And yes, I am relatively new to DF.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33958 on: April 05, 2014, 12:40:06 am »

FPS is already too low for me. Not sure what to do >.<

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33959 on: April 05, 2014, 12:46:32 am »

FPS is already too low for me. Not sure what to do >.<

Atom-smash everything that is not of use.

Seal off parts of the fort that will not be used.

Turn off temperature.

Clean the map of blood and other contaminants.

Wiki link for framerate tips.
Pages: 1 ... 2262 2263 [2264] 2265 2266 ... 3838