Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2459 2460 [2461] 2462 2463 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5931019 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36900 on: August 31, 2014, 10:26:12 pm »

Can Dwarves with strange moods create divine metal end-products? I just got a bulging steel breastplate, whatever that means and it just took regular steel. On a related note, I now have a legendary armor smith!
The breastplate itself is a bulging breastplate.
Egads. Even the dorfs have boob-plate.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36901 on: August 31, 2014, 11:32:57 pm »

Spoiler: Artist's Rendition (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36902 on: August 31, 2014, 11:35:58 pm »

That is quite bulging. Even some of the bulges have bulges.

Bulge is a weird word. Is bulge even a word? Bulge doesn't even seem like a word to me anymore.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #36903 on: August 31, 2014, 11:42:27 pm »

Ended up with a fort-site that appears to have only iron, gold, and zinc. Which isn't bad, but it's surprising how fast you start missing copper when you don't have any. At least there's marble and lots of trees, so I can make steel.

I had a werecat appear and attack a visiting dwarf caravan. The guards either killed it or drove it off, but not before the merchants died or fled. I got a huge pile of free loot out of it, but also one of the merchants survived, injured, and was carted off to my hospital. Apparently, while there, unconscious, he got elected Mayor. I finally wised up and replaced him with the next most charismatic Dwarf around, but not before a diplomat left unhappy. Ah well..

I also had a fisher-dwarf get dragged under and killed by a cave crocodile. A soldier then killed the critter in turn, but the fisherdwarf's corpse was at the bottom of a lake. I managed to retrieve the mangled skeleton by carving out the roof overhead and dropping a surrounding block on it.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36904 on: September 01, 2014, 12:13:27 am »

Ended up with a fort-site that appears to have only iron, gold, and zinc. Which isn't bad, but it's surprising how fast you start missing copper when you don't have any. At least there's marble and lots of trees, so I can make steel.

I had a werecat appear and attack a visiting dwarf caravan. The guards either killed it or drove it off, but not before the merchants died or fled. I got a huge pile of free loot out of it, but also one of the merchants survived, injured, and was carted off to my hospital. Apparently, while there, unconscious, he got elected Mayor. I finally wised up and replaced him with the next most charismatic Dwarf around, but not before a diplomat left unhappy. Ah well..

I also had a fisher-dwarf get dragged under and killed by a cave crocodile. A soldier then killed the critter in turn, but the fisherdwarf's corpse was at the bottom of a lake. I managed to retrieve the mangled skeleton by carving out the roof overhead and dropping a surrounding block on it.

No kidding.  I did a random embark and ended up with a site that has absolutely no metal at all.  It's been challenging getting anything resembling a military off the ground at this place.  Though, there is something very satisfying about watching a group of dwarves putting down a berserk craftsdwarf using nothing but training axes.

Going to be smelting a lot of goblinite and trading a lot of gems to the passing... whoever shows up with metal to make ends meet.  Luckily we have humans nearby.  Finally a reason to buy all their oversized metal crap.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:15:53 am by Tacomagic »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36905 on: September 01, 2014, 01:26:50 am »

Okay, so the Dwarf that made the steel breastplate is now a lengendary armor smith, I've set up my first magma forge, smelter, and glass furnace, so I no longer need massive amounts of fuel. I'm set up on the best position to mass-produce steel ever, with 300 charcoal, ridiculous amounts of flux stone and over 340 magnetite ore! I also have plenty of tetrahedite, native silver, and native gold! The only problem currently is that we've lost all of our plump helmet spawn to poor farming regulation and are now running out of booze, but we have enough to coast on until the next human caravan, unless the current goblin siege stays too long. If they do, we'll wait until they leave and go out to gather all of the plants on the surface to brew with. This situation is very ironic, as we have 70 Dwarves and 1500 food, but only around 100 booze. When the Dwarves come in Autumn, we'll definitely be able to replenish our seeds and begin growning crops again.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36906 on: September 01, 2014, 04:53:36 am »

Exactly two sun berries were found growing on this Mirthful marsh biome map. With careful farming and nurturing the seeds have multiplied and now Searingmines has a steady supply of sunshine for all dwarves. And there was much rejoicing.

I don't usually bother with above ground farming but with sun berries I'm willing to make an exception.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36907 on: September 01, 2014, 06:12:35 am »

A cheese maker arrived at my fledgling fort already berserk, I guess I probably walled her into a room during a mood in a previous fort and then abandoned before she died, or something.

Wherever this monster came from, she immediately set her sights on the glazer in front of her during the migrant wave and began chasing him benny hill theme style through the very large wilderness. Story and screens within.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

Xaioxaiofan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36908 on: September 01, 2014, 07:14:31 am »

The great goblin horde invaded...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36909 on: September 01, 2014, 08:18:26 am »

A trainee axedwarf took on 2 kobolds for 'notable kills', 2 other kobolds and 2 giant wolverines all with his trusty (and now sentimentally attached to) apple wood training axe! I may just promote him to militia commander instead of my other dwarf... once he's finished healing from the hospital of course.

However, I just realised he's also married with 2 kids (no joke), all of whom are in my fort. Oh, friends with the mayor, sheriff, hammerer, chief medical.... I think retirement my be the better choice for him lol

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36910 on: September 01, 2014, 08:54:12 am »

The cheese maker was a bad omen. Two necromancers and an undead army arrived shortly after, and drove us underground to the safety of the caverns. Everybody lost their minds there, never to be heard from again. Q_Q
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36911 on: September 01, 2014, 09:12:16 am »

Where are the skins? It may help to get them inside and close to the tanner's workshop. Are your orders set to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse?
Yes, but is your butchering of the dogs and other animals done inside or outside? If it's done outside, then unless you have it set so that dwarves will gather refuse from outside they will never collect the skin and bones from the animals killed in your butcher's shop in order to tan the hides.

Where are the skins? It may help to get them inside and close to the tanner's workshop. Are your orders set to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse?

I always park my tannery directly next to the butchery. I never have a stockpile for the skins, either. Also, everyone that farms, also tans. This means that tanning is always done nigh-instantly.

It's indoors, right next to my butcher's. It seemed to work once the skin got stockpiled, strangely enough, I guess the skin was marked for stockpiling and it couldn't be used until my one useful dwarf got around to it? I'm not entirely sure how that works, but either way, it's fine now. I doubt I can recover from this, but I shall try. Thanks much.

Yea, if you had a stockpile (I don't either) for raw hides, then there's no stockpile to issue a store item job for those raw hides, and the tannery will grab it directly from the butcher's shop. If you do have a stockpile for raw hides, I think it's pretty much guaranteed it needs to be stored first/the store item job gets issued/queued first, so there's no free raw hides to tan, so no tanning job gets issued/queued.

In 34.11, I always made a small stockpile for raw hides next to the butchers, never had any problems with it though. Of course though, I generally assign my haulers the tanning job, so theres almost always someone available.

The only time I had problems or got cancellation messages is when there was only one hide and I have more than one tanning workshop.

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36912 on: September 01, 2014, 09:17:16 am »

Goblins came on the 3rd of Moonstone. I had no military and hadn't set up traps, but at least I was able to get the drawbridge up while they were distracted by the useless animals I had pastured outside. All 18 dwarves are inside the fort, and apart from the wood supply dwindling, it's going alright for now. I'm putting together a trap passage for the goblins to come through and hopefully die or get caged. But the goblins keep running around above attacking wildlife, and seeing as half of the wildlife here seems to be venomous snakes, they may end up getting themselves killed eventually. One has already fallen to a king cobra.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36913 on: September 01, 2014, 10:57:18 am »

Small update from The Cheerful Lands. This one is pretty tame, which is good because it means that the noxious parrot hasn't arrived yet.

Everyday life consists of:
Spoiler: Working the Bait Halls (click to show/hide)

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36914 on: September 01, 2014, 11:22:20 am »

the vorpal blade went snickersnack! The the severed spoiler flies off in an arc.

You need to share your language files with us. I havea burning desire to see what the urist equivalent is.
Everything's in the news today
Pages: 1 ... 2459 2460 [2461] 2462 2463 ... 3838