Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848750 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6510 on: February 01, 2019, 08:11:14 pm »

Getting just a bit off topic.

I've been drawing up a campaign for a few years that features the prophetic return of an ancient lich who once terrorized the world by using his dark magic to deliver toys to children each year on a particular night.  Someday I'm going to run it during November and December to exemplify just how much of a grinch I really am.
I've had similar thoughts of running a short campaign about rescuing enslaved elves who are being forced to work in sweatshops manufacturing materials for a giant dwarf known as The Toymaker.

I would consider it bonus points if the toys themselves magically derive power from said elven suffering, and channel it into a capricious enchanted quality. (For good boys and girls, the toys are boons and blessings, but for bad boys and girls, they are basically chucky.  SAME EXACT ENCHANTMENT. Different outcome based on recipient alignment. Unlike a certain red-clad hick, this guy would give toys to *ALL* children each year.  But you REALLY REALLY want to be a NICE child. Really.)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: February 01, 2019, 10:34:57 pm »

One holiday year at the LGS I overheard a pathfinder group fighting ol Krampus.

(jury is out on wether he had those damn quad lasers...)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: February 02, 2019, 07:06:50 pm »

One of my players wants to make a goblin hoarder that’s a blacksmith who just welds pots and pans to himself whenever he finds more

God help me...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: February 02, 2019, 07:15:38 pm »

One of my players wants to make a goblin hoarder that’s a blacksmith who just welds pots and pans to himself whenever he finds more

God help me...
Gobbomari DnDamacy?

Anyways, there's a FATAL and Friends writeup about Numenera! It's even worse than the first Numenera review I read!

I do find it interesting when a system has aspects that a reviewer actually really likes, and I still think it sounds like an awful idea. So far there's been one such instance in Numenera, everything else is agreed upon as being horrible ("Your background gives you a mechanical advantage to doing something that is not mechanically allowed").

Almost at the end of chargen! So far we've had a few pages of "This is blatantly overpowered", "This literally does not work", or "This works, and it works by shooting yourself in the foot" as character choices, along with a couple jabs at the XP/Intrusion system.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: February 02, 2019, 07:49:39 pm »

The revised core books are supposed to fix some of the Numenera oddities. I've been looking for something to read. Maybe that should go to the top of the pile.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:54:27 pm by Mephisto »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: February 02, 2019, 08:02:03 pm »

God help me...

God has answered by gifting you the heat metal spell.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: February 02, 2019, 08:08:11 pm »

Shocking Grasp too, for low levels.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: February 02, 2019, 09:41:13 pm »

Anyways, there's a FATAL and Friends writeup about Numenera! It's even worse than the first Numenera review I read!
I was kinda interested in this review, given that I've played Numenera a little bit, and was interested to see the perspective of someone going in determined to hate it, as opposed to me, who, since I knew I'd be playing it anyway, went in determined to try to like it a bit at least but found myself not liking a lot of it. This post is kinda turned into my review of this guys Numenera review, idk if it was worth it, but here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: February 02, 2019, 11:14:58 pm »

Presumably we're not speaking English anyway and it's close enough.

They might be. Given you're playing as humans, something had to have happened to allow humans to survive through the eight prior worlds. Nothing's in the canon saying how this happens but there are many suggestions from fans - stasis pods, time travel, dimensional shenanigans, <insert technobabble cosmic reset switch here>. We know humans weren't "active" the whole time because one of the books calls out that humans weren't there for one of the "worlds."

Pathfinder session finally ended. Half-orc rogue nearly soloed two separate gelatinous oozes. Hearing the system mastery dude's rage was sweet.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:22:33 pm by Mephisto »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: February 03, 2019, 12:58:22 am »

The author of this review complaining about it is completely ignoring the context of it to complain about it not having context. Pretty classic sign of a review that was written with an objective already in mind instead of actually trying to review a thing (just like the review I'm writing here!)
That reminds me of an RPG.NET review a guy did of the original version of Stars Without Number where he was so focused on how it's not exactly like Traveller that he somehow completely missed the starship rules (when people pointed this out in the forum comments, he somewhat backtracked by saying there were no prebuilt starships, which people pointed out he was also wrong about).

But enough negativity. I found a review on FATAL & Friends for a game called Spellbound Kingdoms that made me really interested in it. I mean, I was already kind of interested in it every since I downloaded the free combat primer when I first came across it on DriveThruRPG. But I didn't know if the rest of the game would be as good as the combat system.

So, basically, how the combat system works, is that you fight with different fighting styles, which each require you to use certain types of weapons or weapon configurations to work, and you use different maneuvers, which you switch between by moving up or down or sideways on the style sheet, unless a maneuver you or an opponent does rebalances you, in which case you go back to a starting maneuver. Also, there are powerful abilities that you have to work your way up to to pull off. And there's even monster-specific combat styles.

But this review also explains how this is a game where characters are empowered by what they care about, to the point that you can temporarily weaken someone by killing off their spouse, though, if you don't also kill them off soon after, they may just replace their old Inspiration to be revenge against you. Also, it has proper social combat rules that involve more than just rolling persuasion/diplomacy at people; it actually sounds about as strategic as regular combat.

Also, I think in a previous review I saw of the game it said something like magic users interfere with each other, which made me think they nullify each other's power, which is actually almost exactly the opposite of what happens. It turns out that, the more magic users you have in an area, the more likely it is that, if things happen to go wrong, they will go disastrously wrong (though there seems to maybe be some ways of people who know each other to work around this). Also, combat magic works almost exactly like regular combat styles, mechanically speaking, just that it can do some things martial styles can't, and there's also non-combat magic that can do some stuff that's downright amazing.

All-in-all, it sounds like a fun system with a lot of nice character options and such, and I kind of want to get it, but I'm not sure if I'd ever get to play it, since it's hard enough to get my regular gaming group to play anything besides D&D 5e (not so much because they're unwilling to try other systems, but more that we have a lot of people who want to DM, so it's hard to fit in other things).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: February 03, 2019, 07:58:16 am »

As an aside for the true connoisseur; 10% Chance to Stab Yourself.

EDIT: Holy heck, just got done reading the one on Powers & Perils. There's crunchy, and then there's breaking your damn teeth. This mostly seems like throwing an armful of dice at a wall and then pulling out the ol' Texas Instruments to calculate exactly how fucked you ended up being.

EDIT2:
I found a review on FATAL & Friends for a game called Spellbound Kingdoms
*Looks at front cover

Huh, whaddaya know... An RPG starring Nathan Fillion. Looks like he's misbehavin' again.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: February 03, 2019, 12:35:21 pm »

Spoiler: Reviewception (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: February 03, 2019, 02:11:23 pm »

Y'know, looking closer at that Spellbound Kingdoms post... It starts off really neat, with some interesting and very dramatic/cinematic mechanics, which also segues very nicely into some actual mechanical advantages for doing things your character would enjoy doing (such as having a nice drink, an extravagant meal, or a soak in a bath), and even some actual social skill usage! Some really cool ideas there, with a lot of potential. The combat isn't particularly well showcased in the review, but the general concept still looks quite interesting as a system.

...aaand then it kinda gets muddled the deeper you get into it, with some more free-form skills/backgrounds (which you can apparently alter and increase the scope of during play? I don't even know what I feel about that), a fair few "GM decides what this actually does", some of the culture rules... Eh.

Shame it's an incomplete review. I'm still interested by what I've seen, but not nearly as hyped as when I first started reading.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: February 04, 2019, 08:54:51 am »

I played myfarog.

Yes, for real.

It...  If it werent so overtly political, if the races werent obvious racist analogues I'd actually like the setting.   Its set in a pre-viking germanic world with the old versions of the gods, Tiwaz and Wodanaz etc. and theres some fun stuff with the tension between the old animistic ways and the new deity-worship.  The entire world outside thule has been taken over by ettins which are lovecraftian fomorians, and theres a lot of fun ideas.  I could houserule the racist stuff out, but the rules themselves are terrible, and poorly laid out.  No less than four die rolls to determine hit and damage, excessive modifiers, just a slog. 

I'm making a Dungeon Crawl Classics hexcrawl, getting back to the good shit.  Will post the map so far after work
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: February 04, 2019, 09:14:42 am »

Aw shucks, ol' Varg "The Count" Vikernes? I thought he'd completely dropped off the relevance pedestal ages ago, and now only served as a distant memory for metalheads to occasionally wax reminiscent about "that lil' scamp".

...in a complete coincidence, Facebook just threw out an ad for a Norwegian restaurant called "NIKKERS". We swear it's not racist!
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 623