Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845609 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2015, 04:49:37 pm »

ah, right. Lance deals double damage. Well, lowering that during ride-by makes sense... if you are just riding by, you aren't able to land an hit as powerful as you would if you unleashed the full force of a riding horse into the enemy.

the mounted bonus for lance kind of makes sense, but I have to agree that in hindsight spirited charge is quite puzzling in its excessive power. On a critical, a mounted charge with lance+spirited charge kills pretty much any monster. at 20th level, a cavalier charge gets another *3 bonus which, if multiplicative, gives enough potential damage to probably kill a tarrasque and tear the space between planes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »

Heck add in that Lance is a Reach weapon (and how being mounted works is you can treat yourself as if you were in any square your mount takes up) and you got quite the recipe for damage.

>_<

This is going to be utterly insane and ridiculous.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2015, 06:45:54 pm »

This problem can be solved by more constraining terrain as well, rather than (or as well as) trying a nerf if you don't mind the extra effort. Stone walls, potholes in roads, fences, rocks, trees, rough ground, barricades, underbrush, low hanging branches... It should add a bit more variety to your world rather than always being on plains.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2015, 06:52:35 pm »

It's kind of funny that the vast majority of the games I have played take place on nice even terrain, with well-lit conditions. Even in caves or ruins, mountainsides or at sea, you can charge just fine, and even the humans can see without difficulty.

Though I can at least understand not implementing waves rocking a ship all the time, as no one would want to play a caster if they had to roll concentration every single time they want to cast a spell.

Deimos517

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2015, 08:11:22 pm »

I was playing with my family and my brother and my cousins had stopped at an inn. Then, for no apparent reason, my brother, a human fighter, tied up one of my cousins, a fetchling magus, while he was sleeping and cut off his hand! Following this he left through the window leaving the room strewn bodies of the people who had tried to stop him. And my other cousin slept soundly through all the screaming and fighting! It was a bloody mess.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2015, 11:31:56 pm »

No, you won't be killing the Tarrasque with your lance, ( the additional x3 is not directly multiplicative, 3.n uses some weird damn system where two x2 become x3, but that really doesn't matter, as the big T has 840 hp across 48d10+576 hit dice (averaged, not maxed.)  It is an amusing comparison tho'.

Also, Naryar, I said no alignment discussion in the OP and I seriously mean it, if it comes back up I'm locking and calling the Toad.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:33:36 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2015, 11:43:42 pm »

some weird damn system where two x2 become x3
This is coming from someone who doesn't play these games but this makes sense. With x2, you're adding 1 to the multiplier of x1. x1+1 = x2. When you're adding two x2's, you're adding to multiplier modifiers together. x1+1+1 = x3. Does that make sense?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2015, 11:49:47 pm »

Sorry, Andres, I reject the entire though process, it is not sound.  1D4x2x2  Does not equal 1D4x3.  It is a very artificial system to limit numbers.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2015, 03:33:23 am »

1d4x2x2= 1d4x4. There. And 1d4x4 isn't equal to 4d4.

Also, Naryar, I said no alignment discussion in the OP and I seriously mean it, if it comes back up I'm locking and calling the Toad.

...I wasn't starting a flame war about alignments, or disturbing the thread ? I was simply stating that a GM had an overly limited definition of alignments.

Heck add in that Lance is a Reach weapon (and how being mounted works is you can treat yourself as if you were in any square your mount takes up) and you got quite the recipe for damage.

>_<

This is going to be utterly insane and ridiculous.

Wait till you get 15th level casters.

Also just use the bracing rules, and people with spears/halberds. See his mount go to negative HP real fast.

I'm surprised pikes are not in D&D already. Also that bracing is for some reason, bracing against all directions.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2015, 04:00:41 am »

Though I can at least understand not implementing waves rocking a ship all the time, as no one would want to play a caster if they had to roll concentration every single time they want to cast a spell.
I'd say that's reasonable, unless the circumstances are severe.
I"d make them roll a check if:
- They are prone to seasickness.
- Ship is being rocked more than normal because of a storm.
- Ship is being knocked around by a big monster, like a a kraken or dragon turtle.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2015, 07:04:06 am »

some weird damn system where two x2 become x3
This is coming from someone who doesn't play these games but this makes sense. With x2, you're adding 1 to the multiplier of x1. x1+1 = x2. When you're adding two x2's, you're adding to multiplier modifiers together. x1+1+1 = x3. Does that make sense?

It's still bad notation. If they mean "+1x" they should write it as such
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2015, 07:08:01 am »

it is quite standard actually. The point is that they all multiply base damage, rather than total damage.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2015, 09:19:03 am »

Or rather, it's not x2, it's +100%. x3 is +200%. The point here is to prevent the multipliers from getting out of hand fast. They still do, but at a slower rate.
._.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2015, 12:07:00 pm »

I'm surprised pikes are not in D&D already. Also that bracing is for some reason, bracing against all directions.
5e has them, though they're basically just the same thing as longspears from previous editions. A proper pike should grant more than 5 feet of extra reach, but then again I'm not sure how you'd be expected to use and maneuver a 10-25 foot long weapon in most dungeons.

As for being able to brace against all directions, that's an effect of not using facing, though you could probably rule that people can only set a brace weapon for one direction of attack.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2015, 12:34:03 pm »

Naryar: The point is that the alignment debate is a loaded topic, everywhere I have seen the subject brought up has turned into a very aggressive argument very quickly, so it is not an acceptable topic in this thread.

Have any of you ever tried a fighter fully loaded with ranged combat feats?  That shit is terrifying even without any of the extra stuff in the splatbooks.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 623