Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845557 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2015, 12:38:05 am »

But what if the things they are fighting either breath water innately (say, some sort of merperson) or don't breath at all?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2015, 01:16:14 am »

Then I guess it's just the usual murderhobo routine.

No-one in the party uses heavy armour, thankfully. Though I can't swim for shit, and you are greatly slowed when compared to moving on land, so no-one on our side was able to attack in the first round. But we all have potions of water breathing to spare still, so that is not a problem.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2015, 01:46:08 am »

Pathfinder is definitely a lot kinder to under water battles when you don't have some way to breathe instantly than 3.5 is.

Still... I think water is a cool avenue for adventurers.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2015, 06:30:41 am »

Even so, the GM could possibly fudge it to be nice to the player, since he's just trying to... not be a mentally deficient hydra any more. :P
Tangentially relevant,.   

Also, I miss PnP gaming. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2015, 09:23:41 am »

Pathfinder is definitely a lot kinder to under water battles when you don't have some way to breathe instantly than 3.5 is.

Still... I think water is a cool avenue for adventurers.

3.5 is already pretty generous.  Actually, looks like the rules for drowning are identical:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules#TOC-Drowning
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#drowning

Basically you can fight for a number of rounds equal to your constitution *score* (not mod).  Then you start making a fort save that grows from 10.  If you take only 1 move action, you use half the air that round.
(I'm only sharing this because it's kinda funny.  Even untrained, adventurers are *amazing* at holding their breath and remaining calm underwater)

As for swimming in heavy armor...  Technically it's just a penalty to the swim check from what I can find.  But it's *double* the normal armor check and encumbrance penalty.  You're trying to hit 10 to move in calm water, 30 if you want to move at normal speed instead of quarter.  6-9 you don't move, 5 or less you fall underwater.

So in full plate with a heavy shield and a medium load, you're looking at (6+2)*2+(3*2)=18 penalty.  DC 24 to tread water, DC 28 to move.
Pretty tough!  Keeping a light load helps a lot though, as would stowing the shield (stowing the armor would help a lot more, of course).  With about a dozen ranks a warrior could probably swim across a lake in the full kit.  They might hit the bottom first though, but they have plenty of air.

But yeah, if they have waterbreathing then they're better off trudging along the bottom.  I'm not sure what the rule is for that but I assume it's half-speed, or maybe full (though that would be silly).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2015, 01:34:36 pm »

My guess would be two stacks of difficult terrain (water resistance and the muddy bottom of the lake) so quarter speed.
Nom nom nom

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »

My guess would be two stacks of difficult terrain (water resistance and the muddy bottom of the lake) so quarter speed.
That makes sense.  But if it was at the bottom of a canal or other man-made waterway it would just be half, or maybe I don't know shit about canals and they also have mud on the bottom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2015, 03:30:39 pm »

Depends on the type of canal :P

Love, scriver~

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2015, 06:22:49 pm »

yeah and some faster moving rivers/mountain waterways+lakes would be stone or sand bottom so probably a lot easier to traverse... the bottom of the ocean now mind you, in most places you'd probably sink a good 15 feet into silt and water breathing or not you'd suffocate in mud.
Nom nom nom

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:52 pm »

Actually unless Pathfinder dramatically alters magic item usage, no, being a hydra does not allow you to gain stacking benefits from headgear.  You've got two ring slots, one amulet/decorative item, one piece of headgear, one set of eyegear (glasses, lenses, whatever), one set of gloves/gauntlets, one set of footwear, one cloak/cape, one suit of armor, one robe, one vest/shirt, one set of bracers/bracelets and a belt.

In D&D I think you can take a feat to increase the number of item slots
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2015, 07:59:59 pm »

Even if it did remember that Pathfinder is very much in the position of "If they used armor, they would be neigh unstoppable" so to speak.

I still remember when a player said he wanted to enhance a Adamantium Golem with a shield... and I was like "No, the golem is already perfect, the shield wouldn't benefit it"

Yet there was no "rule" on it... I maintained it due to the concept of a Adamantine Golem.

The way I like to handle a lot of it is that well... Natural armor lowers the armor bonus of armors by 1 for every 2 natural armor they have.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2015, 10:59:38 pm »

No, there would still be advantages to having the adamantium golem possess a shield.  Specifically, it would permit it to deflect attacks that would alter its temperature. Otherwise, thermal expansion stresses could theoretically weaken the golem through microfractures in its matrix.

EG, glass cannon wizard duo 1-2 punches the golem repeatedly with cone of cold and fireball. That of course, assumes the DM is going to allow "physics related effects" for mythical substances, like adamantium.

It's also a potentially enchantable item, permiting the golem to possibly have additional magic resistance buff added to its innate physical resistance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2015, 01:18:21 am »

No, there would still be advantages to having the adamantium golem possess a shield.  Specifically, it would permit it to deflect attacks that would alter its temperature. Otherwise, thermal expansion stresses could theoretically weaken the golem through microfractures in its matrix.

EG, glass cannon wizard duo 1-2 punches the golem repeatedly with cone of cold and fireball. That of course, assumes the DM is going to allow "physics related effects" for mythical substances, like adamantium.

It's also a potentially enchantable item, permiting the golem to possibly have additional magic resistance buff added to its innate physical resistance.

It is already made of a neigh indestructible material. Anything that would cause the golem to suffer thermally is pretty much nuclear bomb!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2015, 01:27:01 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2015, 02:33:28 am »

Wait, can those 'cool metal' and 'heat metal' spells work on adamantium?
Plus, if you make an adamantium golem, what do you use to smelt the form? A directed nuke in order to melt it?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 623