Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848949 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #420 on: July 18, 2015, 09:43:42 am »

Yes, you've said as much at every single opportunity you've had to mention it so far.

Strangely, you were the only one bothered by it.
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 18, 2015, 10:22:58 am »

Strangely, you were the only one bothered by it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 18, 2015, 10:38:03 am »

Game night tonight, looking forward to seeing my players resolve their current circumstances and getting the main show rolling again.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 18, 2015, 10:40:51 am »

I am starting to think Troops work much better when they are at a CR lower then the party by a large margin. At least 3 CR lower then the party.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:43:25 am by Neonivek »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 18, 2015, 10:54:05 am »

I believe the rule of thumb for troops/army vs individuals is average individual cr-6 but that's just from memory.
Nom nom nom

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 18, 2015, 10:55:42 am »

Yeah we're currently in a mythic campaign and the GM is hard-pressed to send things against us.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 18, 2015, 10:56:59 am »

The rules for mythic/epic monsters are kinda lack luster and there is not very many of them all things considered.  I think at that point your only real challenge is hunting down gods/demi-gods/greater demons of hell.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 18, 2015, 11:03:01 am »

The rules for mythic/epic monsters are kinda lack luster and there is not very many of them all things considered.  I think at that point your only real challenge is hunting down gods/demi-gods/greater demons of hell.

Kind of an understatement. The Mythic Ruleset honestly feels like "Yep these are the rules, have fun... what? You don't know how to run a mythic campaign? Well we aren't gonna tell you, or provide a ample supply of mythic encounters"

Well ok, Mythic isn't too tooo bad.

Though Psionic is this hands down.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 18, 2015, 01:51:36 pm »

Welp. I'll just give a brief summary of last night's session. I arrived late, but apparently all that happened was that the Tree of Life was a trap and they got swarmed with succubi and incubi (one player kept and wore a pair of their studded leather chaps), they met Lilith and the dude who really wanted a dragon instead got a homunculus that needs to be fed around 500L of human blood to become an approximation of a dragon. Oh, and when they ate from the Tree of Knowledge they got to peek at the campaign notes, but all that they remembered was that it was a mythology pileup and we're allegedly supposed to kill God. Not certain whether I believe/trust them. When I got there we were just about to enter a storm of Archer Vice references which ended with us getting off the plane in Colombia and getting slapped with bomb collars.

Two of the guys managed to finagle their way into making off with 5 kilos of coke, and they went off to do the thing to get us out of the collars, namely bombing a stadium where Rick Astley was performing for a crowd of thousands. In a tiny Colombian town. That, in turn, agitated what was apparently a giant fucking sandworm. We spent the few minutes it took for it to full rise and then slam back down onto the city shopping, looting the corpses in the collapsing stadium, and in one case siphoning off their blood. One of the party members wrapped himself in shower curtains smeared with vaseline, then later used one of those to set a trap for another party member, baited with a splatter of his own blood, two stolen gold necklaces, and a quarter-pound of coke.

I spent most of my remaining money in that town on a bulletproof vest and a rocket-pistol. Also as of next session I am apparently going to be playing a Druid instead of a Monk because "we have too many monks" (two? in a party of 6-7). Not that it makes much difference, because apparently my cyborg arm won't get its damage nerfed and Druids are houseruled as bathroom chemists, so whatever.

Anyways. We ran off into the jungle with our map to El Dorado and stumbled across a tired old logic puzzle old man trying to figure out how to get his fox, chicken, and grain across the river. That took all of five seconds to resolve, which is when one of our party members approached a chucacabra. He tried to hide in a tree and got grappled and mauled. Two more had been hidden from view as well. So yeah.

The guy who'd made the lubed shower curtains lobbed a jar of hydrochloric acid at the grappled pair and hit both, nearly killing each and knocking them out of the tree. I fired my rocket pistol at the nearest to find out what it did, exactly. As it turns out, 2d12+6 in a 15' AoE. I missed. The firearm houserules the guy cooked up for missed shots set up a 20-section line between the shooter and the target, then you roll D20 to find out where the shots land. Meh.

So, I missed. I was also in the back of the party. That shot barely went 5', everyone got splashed. Yeah. Then it was the chupacabras' turn. They were houseruled monstrosities with, among other things, a life-draining attack. So the one that got burned with acid was back up to full. A length clusterfuck of a fight later, I and the Cleric managed to put one down for good and the other two damaged ones failed their morale check and ran. In a rare show of party solidarity everyone who was downed got healed, and the only other thing that happened was that the Cleric stole a book from the guy who triggered the ambush (who had stolen it from another party member who had acquired it from the Cleric). The Cleric's been TN since he helped the party's CE Antipaladin (the guy feeding blood to the homunculus) rob a bank, by the by.

That's all. No more sessions for a while, either. I have no words.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 18, 2015, 09:17:24 pm »

Had a game tonight. In summary, everyone WTF'd at my parrot, and my skeleton naga finally died.

We went to an island to find information on an unusual ship, and got the information after coercing/making a deal with a resident to share a bit of loot. Though we had to first find a ring that we could use to help locate the ship. When we found the ring, it was in the possession of an independent pirate captain. As he was not a part of the free-captains, we opted to just ram his ship and stab him in the face, as there would be no repercussions.

Using the ring, we were able to tell that the ship we were looking for had sunk, and we had to dive. No problem, as we have ways to avoid drowning. The damage from diving too deep wasn't a problem either, as we were able to make all our fortitude saves. Though there was a fair bit of fighting. My naga got dropped to half when our magus blew a spell, and just about cut the naga in half. The DM was happy about it, at least, since the naga was a pain in the ass. Once I learned this, I stopped going out of my way to keep it fully healed.

Though I blew all my fourth-level spells for the day trying to charm things. I charmed a shark, only for it to immediately get killed. I tried to charm a giant jellyfish, only to discover it was mindless. I tried to charm an aberration, only for it to fizzle because the aberration was already dominated by something else. Finally, I tried to charm an aboleth, which had a pretty good Will save. We got it to fairly low health, and I was told by others in the group to animate it as an undead. The DM noped the aboleth the fuck out of there once he heard that. It burst down a section of wall in the sunken ship and sped off.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 18, 2015, 09:34:04 pm »

Sounds like my current DM when I keep talking to him in RL. He freaks out when I tell him something that I want to do, so I stopped telling him. Now he's praising me about this child kidnapping fiasco where I look like a hero because I kept he thieves alive while the other party members are probably going to kill them. One of them is currently beating the shit out of two of them and they're scared of him.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 18, 2015, 10:02:59 pm »

Naw, this DM just reacts that way to stuff that would throw the game well out of balance.

An aboleth corpse on a leash would be a lot worse than that naga was ever capable of. And my parrot was able to one-shot a mini-boss in one encounter.

The scout archetype allows rogues to deal sneak attacks against opponents as if they were considered flat-footed when they charge. At level 8 they can do that if they move at least 10 feet before they attack, which is good for spring-attack/flyby attackers. So that's 4d6. Plus it uses its dex to damage since it is a rogue, and it only has one attack, so that damage gets to deal 1.5x damage instead of just the flat modifier, which is 1d4+7. Plus the rogue talent 'flying stunt', which allows a rogue that charges from the air or from higher ground to make a fly check against the opponent's CMD in order to deal their dexterity modifier as additional precision damage, which is 5 at the moment. Plus Bleeding Attack, a rogue talent that adds an amount of bleed damage every round until healed equal to the amount of dice you use when you sneak attack, which is 4. And finally, Piranha Strike, which is like Power Attack for Weapon Finesse users, which at level 7 is another 4 damage.

A quick breakdown:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though this bird's real strength is its intelligence. Skills for days. I'm only going to use him as an "oh shit" button of sorts, when we encounter something that no-one else can deal with. For an example from just this session, we encountered a locked casket, and no-one has disable device. Except old Rot Gut. So we brought it up onto our ship, and let the parrot go at the lock with his little tictac-sized thieves' tools.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:05:49 pm by BlackFlyme »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 18, 2015, 10:05:52 pm »

And yet the Cavalier in my game kicks that thing's butt with a typical attack of 6d4+57 or the much more likely 2d10+38

I am thinking of an evil plan.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:17:24 pm by Neonivek »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 18, 2015, 11:25:27 pm »

In my pathfinder game, I have to have sheets for 8 characters, because the DM doesn't want to make the sheets for my character's brothers who I team up with every now and then.

My main guy is the youngest son in his family, a ranger who plays and acts like a barbarian, named Varg (he's known as The Viking)

The next is Erik, the quiet archer ranger who fears his own death and hunts his troublemaking brother after a crime he committed in the army.

Ragnvald is the cavalier that fights in Odin's name. He also has arguments with his brothers over his conviction and faith.

Haldor quit the military life when he was a monk. He still practices but only for showmanship and sporting events. After many years of abandoning his family, Varg has rekindled their bonds as brothers when, after so long, he learned of his brother's death (Aesgir, who is excluded from this list)

Loke (pronounced like Loki) is a slayer who in a fit of his proud honour, slew several of his own allies in an act of proving he was the best fighter. He is now hidden in orcish territory, fighting off both his own former army and the orcs.

Vilhem is a monk who gave up fighting after witnessing horrors as a mercenary. He is the only gun user other than Varg, and is a gunslinger himself. He argues with Ragnvald often because he openly worships a non-Norse diety. He is currently at home assisting his wounded brother and his aging parents

Ulrik is the second-born child of the family and works as a blacksmith for the army. Being a magus, he is the only one of his family who studied magic at all, and he is the least experienced in combat compared to his brothers.

Leif is the eldest child and is facing reality that he may die and is abandoning hope. He was a fighter before he got wounded and complains. His confidence is shot and his wounds won't heal properly until a healer comes and finds something to fully heal him, as he was only patched with field dressing that did not make his wounds better.

I joked with another player that if my character succeeds in reuniting his family, his brothers would aid in fighting the other player's brothers who are the equivalent of Davy Jones in this world (they man a ship that is known to be a ghost ship that slaughters everyone they cross with. They hunt their brother as well to end their bloodline. His backstory and character is heavily based on Natuto mind you)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 18, 2015, 11:36:38 pm »

In a pathfinder game one of my friends got stuck under some rubble from the collapsing structure. After several attempts to escape and beginning to get injured is finaly ran back, pulled him out on one tey, stuffed him in my bag and booked it to the exit. He wasn't very apreciative that I rescued him and kept him from getting trapped again

((PTW))
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 623