Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845489 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1560 on: February 02, 2016, 04:04:40 am »

Ok, here's something I've been thinkong about. I think that it would make sense for populations of the longer-lived races to be heavily skewed toward the more highly trained NPC classes - ie. Adept, Expert, and Magewright - and to have very few commoners. They have, after all, more time to learn trades than many humans live, if after all that time they're just turning out commoners that just makes them seem stupid.

It is something that SOME of the games tried to make a focus and others tried to gloss over.

Some went as far as to say that a Elf with any sort of longevity would have class levels and even if they were a crafter they likely knew magic to enhance it further.

While others kind of sidestep the issue for many reasons. The usual excuse being that the shorter lived species are more ambitious when it comes to practicing their skills and improving upon themselves, while the long lived ones have a much more relaxed attitude towards it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 02, 2016, 05:12:49 am »

I like to imagine that longer lived races have a subjectively longer maturation cycle. Elves, being the classic example, would still be considered children even if they're 30 years old. Adventurers of these races, who typically gain levels far faster than NPCs, would likely be doing so as a result of rubbing shoulders with other races that develop and mature so much faster.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:19 am »

I like to imagine that longer lived races have a subjectively longer maturation cycle. Elves, being the classic example, would still be considered children even if they're 30 years old. Adventurers of these races, who typically gain levels far faster than NPCs, would likely be doing so as a result of rubbing shoulders with other races that develop and mature so much faster.

Surprisingly... it is the opposite.

Elves get a stick up their butt earlier in their lives and Half-elves are usually considered the immature ones.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 02, 2016, 05:35:18 am »

Sure about that? Elves have a listed age for adulthood at 110 years, whereas half-elves are a mere 20 years, at least according to the 3.5e SRD. As for in character maturity, that essentially depends on the player. You might have a character sheet that lists intelligence in the high thirties, but if the player doesn't roleplay that, it's pretty meaningless.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 02, 2016, 05:37:03 am »

Sure about that? Elves have a listed age for adulthood at 110 years, whereas half-elves are a mere 20 years, at least according to the 3.5e SRD. As for in character maturity, that essentially depends on the player. You might have a character sheet that lists intelligence in the high thirties, but if the player doesn't roleplay that, it's pretty meaningless.

I am going to admit I might have it backwards. I might be confusing how Elves "Mature" quickly in terms of emotional maturity but not physically.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 02, 2016, 05:38:27 am »

Well, having intelligence in the high thirties is no obstacle to having a wisdom of 8.

As for elves, don't the background materials go into the idea that elves have a natural curiosity and wanderlust to them? It might be less that they're lacking in ambition and more that they don't tend to focus on things enough to get really good at something quickly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:34 am »

I think that is Halflings.... or Gnomes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 02, 2016, 05:41:14 am »

I think I read that about elves. Might have been in the 5e PHB?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: February 02, 2016, 05:42:49 am »

Now I just want to play an elf that spent the last century living in his mom's basement and finally got kicked out.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 02, 2016, 10:03:34 am »

Ok, here's something I've been thinkong about. I think that it would make sense for populations of the longer-lived races to be heavily skewed toward the more highly trained NPC classes - ie. Adept, Expert, and Magewright - and to have very few commoners. They have, after all, more time to learn trades than many humans live, if after all that time they're just turning out commoners that just makes them seem stupid.

Not really.

D&D lumps basically everything real people do for a living into 'commoner'.  You could be the world's best plumber, potter or civil engineer, with people traveling from far-off countries to consult you. But the DM is going to class you as 'commoner' because your profession isn't useful to adventurers and you aren't a story-important NPC that needs to survive dealing with PCs.

I would think that longer-lived races would spend time perfecting their profession and hobbies - which may or may not include a 'class' as D&D recognizes them.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 02, 2016, 11:30:06 am »

Now I just want to play an elf that spent the last century living in his mom's basement and finally got kicked out.
My first real character was a level 1 druid elf who was 300-ish years old, IE in the third age category (elves start rolling to die at 350, venerable).

His backstory was that he was an ambassador to the fey who lived on the island, and basically spent that entire time reading them stories and having practical jokes played on him.  For ~200 years.  The Everfree Forest (the island) was very isolated from the troubles of the world.  The three lich-emperors didn't even know it existed...  Until Adil went on a diplomatic mission to the last human city, at the start of the campaign.

He did have a son about halfway through, who was a very different story.  Probably my "Most broken character whose backstory tries to justify it", though he wasn't *that* broken.  Just a neutral cleric...  Meaning he could spontaneously cast any of the sanctified spells from Book of Exalted Deeds, but also prepare vile spells from Book of Vile Darkness.  Honestly he barely took advantage of that.  Being a satyr was pretty sweet, though, and he did use the pipes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: February 02, 2016, 12:27:34 pm »

As for elves, don't the background materials go into the idea that elves have a natural curiosity and wanderlust to them? It might be less that they're lacking in ambition and more that they don't tend to focus on things enough to get really good at something quickly.

But this isn't about extra levels, it's about he same low levels in better classes; it's about getting good at something over a period of about 100 years

EDIT:
Plus the dwarves are all about focus and live nearly as long as the elves do

And they're both seen as mystical magical races. Skewing the demographics towards adepts and magewrights would help to reflect this in-game without giving them all PC classes or a bunch of extra levels
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:32:02 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: February 02, 2016, 07:32:50 pm »

Not really.

D&D lumps basically everything real people do for a living into 'commoner'.  You could be the world's best plumber, potter or civil engineer, with people traveling from far-off countries to consult you. But the DM is going to class you as 'commoner' because your profession isn't useful to adventurers and you aren't a story-important NPC that needs to survive dealing with PCs.

I would think that longer-lived races would spend time perfecting their profession and hobbies - which may or may not include a 'class' as D&D recognizes them.

I think that would fall under the umbrella of the Expert class. (As well as Savant and Factotum for those with PC classes)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 02, 2016, 07:42:49 pm »

Experts are people like sailors, craftsmen, apothecaries, and so on.

Commoners are farmers, herders, and such.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 02, 2016, 09:35:34 pm »

Sailors, craftsmen, apothecaries, and so on... are easily commoners. Likewise a farmer and herder could easily be an expert.

The difference between a Expert and a Commoner is the difference between Healer and a Doctor.

It isn't so much their jobs it is how far they are and willing to take them.

Or another way of putting it is the difference is the same as between the Warrior and Fighter. A Warrior is a fighter who lacks the discipline and drive, or rather where fighting is just a hobby.

----

Whelp just two more days until the deadline for the sheet hand in and I am nervous.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:43:59 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 623