Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845439 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1590 on: February 03, 2016, 06:57:25 pm »

@Flabort:
    Wow, I'm glad I gave that to you! That list is awesome. I might run it through LaTeX and .pdf it once it's done so it's nice and portable, and so the hyperlinks actually work :P

Man, I want to convert the DFA over to Pathfinder but I don't know where to start. I remember seeing a guide on how to convert classes somewhere though?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 03, 2016, 07:45:47 pm »

@Flabort:
    Wow, I'm glad I gave that to you! That list is awesome. I might run it through LaTeX and .pdf it once it's done so it's nice and portable, and so the hyperlinks actually work :P

Man, I want to convert the DFA over to Pathfinder but I don't know where to start. I remember seeing a guide on how to convert classes somewhere though?
Don't think I'll be able to finish it without some help, though. :P Especially with my other project right now, and my life too.

As for hyperlinks, try clicking them in View Mode. I think the default is Suggest Mode.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:39 pm »

Coins can be broken down into fractionals, or even just melted down for the gold. Everyone uses gold. Kings, peasants, wizards. Gold is a currency that anyone can use.

You've got it backwards. Gold is a currency that no one can use. Not in that sense at any rate. Only spellcasters can make direct practical use of scrolls, true, but nobody can directly make practical use of gold; they can only trade it for things that are useful.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:41 pm »

I disagree. Gold Pieces are the universal magical currency. The Identify spell cannot be cast unless you have pearls worth exactly 100 pieces of gold.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: February 03, 2016, 10:09:28 pm »

Coins can be broken down into fractionals, or even just melted down for the gold. Everyone uses gold. Kings, peasants, wizards. Gold is a currency that anyone can use.

You've got it backwards. Gold is a currency that no one can use. Not in that sense at any rate. Only spellcasters can make direct practical use of scrolls, true, but nobody can directly make practical use of gold; they can only trade it for things that are useful.
...no, I haven't?

I'm not talking about using the gold as a material. I'm talking about using it as a currency, because that's what we were talking about.
And gold is used in at least one process to do with magic, so I'd argue that gives it a practical use, but that's beside the point.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 03, 2016, 10:10:15 pm »

I disagree. Gold Pieces are the universal magical currency. The Identify spell cannot be cast unless you have pearls worth exactly 100 pieces of gold.

Or if it's 3rd ed, large lump sums are needed to create magic items.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: February 03, 2016, 10:11:45 pm »

1 pound of gold dust is a material component of the Wall of Iron spell. Half a pound of gold dust is a material component of the Fire Trap spell. Direct use of gold without requiring an intermediate purchase confirmed!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:56 pm »

I think you also require gold dust to scribe new spells into your spellbook as a wizard?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 03, 2016, 10:16:55 pm »

3.5e gives the vague "Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page." Could be expensive ink or special quills rather than gold.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 03, 2016, 10:18:49 pm »

Cool. I'm gonna go write my spells in glow-in-the-dark ink!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: February 03, 2016, 10:27:00 pm »

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 03, 2016, 10:30:05 pm »

That's to buy equipment. The items aren't made through some kind of reverse-alchemy.

And in any case even if it was it's still something that's only useful to spellcasters
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 03, 2016, 10:34:38 pm »

So make sure you step across those borders to non pearl producing nations before going though your loot kids.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 03, 2016, 10:43:05 pm »

That's to buy equipment. The items aren't made through some kind of reverse-alchemy.

And in any case even if it was it's still something that's only useful to spellcasters
It's DND 3.5 though.  Only spellcasters do useful things :P

In my group it was reverse-alchemy, but we were mostly deep in wasteland, wilderness, or hostile undead cities.  I think we had like 3 time-skip downtimes in 2 years and 4 sets of characters...  Otherwise we were traveling (or teleporting).

Of course, using up gold like that does raise questions...  But our setting was essentially post-apocalyptic, so we were essentially scavenging the magical unperishable metal of the ancient ones to power our crafts and spells.  Gold and platinum may as well been orichalcum.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:41 pm »

Given that the Wall of Iron spell permanently creates materials suitable for manufacturing equipment, weapons or armor, I'd say it would be a fairly logical conclusion that a 50 gp investment of gold dust does in fact create a reverse-alchemy effect, especially when combined with the Fabricate spell.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 623