Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848943 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

So, I feel ready to describe Jake's interrogation.
Jake is a Mekhet, a... "shadow vampire".
Fire and the sun burn much deeper than for other clans.  It's a clan of secrecy, and secrets, and the preservation of both.
And to explain their weakness, a clan of shame and hiding.  Vulnerable to the light of truth.

Jake's interrogator is not a bad person.  It's a war.
"Who made you like this?"
"A good man."
He shot Jake in the chest with a phosphorous round, which burned a large crispy hole.  The beast cried out within Jake, but he held it back...  But betrayed his sire, just a little.  "Mike!  That's all I know."

... "Where does he sleep."
The beast wasn't listening.  It was Jake's human self that raged coldly at this.
"Fuck.  You."
And then the beast recoiled again as fire burned in Jake's shoulder.

Jake begged, and threatened, but in the end he had to give the interrogator something.  Jake is a coward, and there were things he *wanted* to give...

He didn't betray his sire further.  But he did explain how to reach the Prince's office.  Yeah, that may come back to bite him, but the Prince is WEAK.  His forces have utterly failed to find the Juan, the monstrosity who is likely going to chew up and digest Jake's soul.
Also he exiled Jake's sire, Mike, from downtown over some elder feud.  So, fuck that guy.
Though mainly Jake tried to focus on giving intel on Juan.  The real threat.
Yeah the hunters are monsters, fighting us Camarilla vampire monsters, but Juan and the Brood represent something FAR worse.

In the end, he didn't betray Mike's haven. 
He did admit his own sins, though.  "Only" three dead, directly.  The first was an innocent, and his only sincere regret.  Another was a combatant drunk.  And finally a hunter at the previous base.
"He was a person."
"...It's a war, you know that."
"His NAME was ANDREW.  He had a wife!  And a brother!"
"Andrew.  ..."  To apologize would have been meaningless bullshit.
"...After 25 days you're already this far gone.  That's what I wanted to know."
The hunter removed the magazine from his pistol and set it on the table.  One in the chamber.
"If there's any shred of humanity left in you, you know what to do."

... An hour or so later, Alex rescued him.  Covered in bruises and blood, mostly her own.

Jake is saving this bullet for their next meeting.
This hunter is not a bad person.  But he'll answer for what happened to Alex.
As will Jake.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the encouragement!  Yeah, if I can't find my notes by tonight we're going on a sidetrip to ghouls in Firgatn Moor (there is also a volcano named Mt Hote - I love naming things), but I still hate that this happened.  3 boxes to unpack before I give up!

I do have the 'this is what we did' sheet I gave to my players last session, so I can at least figure out some of what's going on.  I had maps and props that I'll really miss, though.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

You're assuming Shadowrunners have a choice. You get a dragon telling you you're going to do a job or else, you damned well do the job and screw the consequences.
If it's a Mr Johnson, generally, turning down a job isn't as bad as getting caked up to Sadr Kruup (I butchered that) HQ and getting the job right from one of the higher ups. I doubt, in any case, the dragons themselves would offer it. They're usually too busy being a dragon to worry about stuff like that...

Just a thought, would anyone want to run a shadowrun game at all, even if it's a one off to just show how the game is played? I have almost all of the books for the previous edition, and I really wanted to try it, but the only person who would have been able to show me anything stopped being my friend when he did something I'm not willing to repeat...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I played my first in-person, first as-player session of a TRPG (Pathfinder). it was quite fun. I threatened to cast Acid Spray on an ally twice and Empowered Fireballed an ally that was being grappled by a black tentacle beast.

It was a mostly Evil party with one Lawful Good.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Asking here because I can't be bothered to dig up the Tabletop Games thread (and they usually seem to be focused on non-D&D/Pathfinder games anyway.)

I'm going to start up a Pathfinder PbP game here for the first time, and my first tabletop game play-by-post in quite a while; I've taken the time to see what went wrong with most of my other games (mostly a paper-thin plot and running about a thousand games at once giving me no motivation to advance the game), and I've put a lot of thought into this one to avoid those mistakes.

But anyway, my question is: I've taken inspiration from fiction set in the late 1800s, and the setting I've written is probably best described as steampunk, except with magic instead of steam with magic on the side. Because of this setting, I need to know; do the Advanced Firearms rules shatter the balance? I can see that they shift the balance toward guns to some degree, but I can't quite tell how much. I honestly don't mind it if the players ditch swords for guns--it makes sense in such a setting, after all--but I want to know to what degree they'll replace the more traditional weapons.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:28:06 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I can't speak for Pathfinder, but in 3rd and 3.5 firearms were positively overwhelming, only high-level magic outperformed them.  So (unless Pathfinder handles it differently) firearms will probably be the staple weapons of the setting.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't speak for Pathfinder, but in 3rd and 3.5 firearms were positively overwhelming, only high-level magic outperformed them.  So (unless Pathfinder handles it differently) firearms will probably be the staple weapons of the setting.
They're really good. The only reason why my vigilante uses swords is a story reason. Even then, he has revolvers.

They effect touch AC until the fifth range increment for advanced firearms, and I think the first range increment with early. They're nasty with that x4 crit too, and having improved critical for a specific type, they're nasty...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Alright, I kinda figured as such. Thanks!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Asking here because I can't be bothered to dig up the Tabletop Games thread (and they usually seem to be focused on non-D&D/Pathfinder games anyway.)

I'm going to start up a Pathfinder PbP game here for the first time, and my first tabletop game play-by-post in quite a while; I've taken the time to see what went wrong with most of my other games (mostly a paper-thin plot and running about a thousand games at once giving me no motivation to advance the game), and I've put a lot of thought into this one to avoid those mistakes.

But anyway, my question is: I've taken inspiration from fiction set in the late 1800s, and the setting I've written is probably best described as steampunk, except with magic instead of steam with magic on the side. Because of this setting, I need to know; do the Advanced Firearms rules shatter the balance? I can see that they shift the balance toward guns to some degree, but I can't quite tell how much. I honestly don't mind it if the players ditch swords for guns--it makes sense in such a setting, after all--but I want to know to what degree they'll replace the more traditional weapons.
Ooooooh boy.  This looks fun.  </nonrelevant>
I have no idea.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're assuming Shadowrunners have a choice. You get a dragon telling you you're going to do a job or else, you damned well do the job and screw the consequences.
If it's a Mr Johnson, generally, turning down a job isn't as bad as getting caked up to Sadr Kruup (I butchered that) HQ and getting the job right from one of the higher ups. I doubt, in any case, the dragons themselves would offer it. They're usually too busy being a dragon to worry about stuff like that...

Just a thought, would anyone want to run a shadowrun game at all, even if it's a one off to just show how the game is played? I have almost all of the books for the previous edition, and I really wanted to try it, but the only person who would have been able to show me anything stopped being my friend when he did something I'm not willing to repeat...
Bumping this because its already starting to get lost in the D&D talks (and it will get swallowed by the WOD people before sunrise my time...). I really do want to at least try and see if we can get a one off to get going. I know people are interested in PLAYING, but not many people know how to run it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I've never done Shadowrun, and I don't own any of the books, so I won't be handling it.  I believe that a while ago Girlinhat was interested in running a forum Shadowrun campaign for beginners, but I have no idea what happened to that.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Shadowrun sounds really cool.

If you do start a thing, I'm interested, although I would be a complete n00b.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

I know a bit of 5th edition, but that's about it.

We were going to try it in my Pathfinder group, but no-one really wanted to GM it.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shadowrun sounds really cool.

If you do start a thing, I'm interested, although I would be a complete n00b.
Join the club.

I tried making a character and I ended up making a drug addict Technomancer who carries a pair of... Either machine pistols or some sort of light SMG that he dual wielded with a shotgun that he hardly used, and he always hoped to god he hit something. He was hooked on BTLs (ironically), lives in a little better than dingy apartment, and his safehouse was a cellar on his ex's property. Guy had some decent stats, but other than his gear, most of his money was devoted to buying BTLs (I literally got the minimum for things I needed and bought as many BTLs as I could. Needless to say, I bought a lot), since he was REALLY hooked on them. He also pissed off a few dealers because he's USUALLY broke, so he had a few enemies right off the bat...

Never got to use him and I'm pretty sure I lost the sheet

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I'd love to run it... But I still swore myself I'd never run a game again (For good reason)

Though I can see why people might not want to run it though. It does require a bit more prep then say dungeons and dragons.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 623