Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849089 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3960 on: May 29, 2017, 11:07:30 pm »

In other news, I found a copy of D&D Basic Rules Cyclopedia and I'm laughing at how weird this gets.
That's cool. I don't have direct experience with older D&D versions, but I have read a lot about them online.

Why is wizardry a spell? Why can clerics only cast it? Why doesn't it show up in the spell list!?
This I spell I haven't heard much about. I don't have a copy of Rules Cyclopedia, but, if Dark Dungeons, which is based off of it, is any indication, it seems to exist so that clerics can use wizard equipment, so there wouldn't be much point in wizards being able to cast it. As for why it doesn't show up in the cleric spell list, my guess is poor editing.

Why is ELF a class and can only level up to 10 when other classes level to 36?
As Basic D&D was intended to be a simpler version, it did away with the idea of characters having both race and class, and made it so that non-human races were their own class. And it was intended that demihumans were supposed to be more powerful than humans but with less potential, so they start off strong but eventually reach their limit before humans do (many people argued on forums that this wasn't much of a limit, and in most games people ignored racial level limits one way or another).

Why are clerics only able to heal at second level?
I don't remember if I found a good answer for this. Many people said it was to do with old-school D&D being harder, though it's curious that this rule is present only in Basic D&D, and not Advanced D&D, which was supposed to be the more hardcore version.

Why are there only 3 alignments!?
This has to do with the original inspiration of D&D alignments, in which they were not moral proclivities, but, rather, Law and Chaos were basically two factions (though it might be just as proper to describe them as forces of nature) that waged war across the universe. In some D&D versions there were even alignment languages that everyone of a particular alignment knew, because they were all on the same team.

It's random stuff like this that makes me laugh hysterically.

The goal is to study up on it and run a one off adventure wth my two groups of friends working together to try and get through the bullshit that is first edition.
Awesome! Though, fyi, Basic D&D isn't technically first edition. It was published at the same time as 1st Edition AD&D as an introductory version. Also, there were actually several versions of Basic D&D, though the Rules Cyclopedia is basically a compiled version of all of them except the Immortals rules, which many people didn't like anyway.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: May 29, 2017, 11:21:59 pm »

My favourite part of AD&D is that Monks aren't allowed to use oil. There's no explanation of what this entails and no other class is limited in this fashion. There's a table with an Oil column that says "Yes" for all the other classes and "No" for Monk.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: May 30, 2017, 12:14:01 am »

Honestly I liked how Hackmaster spoke about racial level limits.

"Yeah, demihumans can only get to such and such level, but don't worry about it, your character will probably die before it even becomes an issue."
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: May 30, 2017, 12:19:08 am »

"Yeah, demihumans can only get to such and such level, but don't worry about it, your character will probably die before it even becomes an issue."

You know :P unless you started at an advanced level.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: May 30, 2017, 08:12:02 am »

That's what I'm guessing on. Especially since what I'm planning is gonna be a one off.

Not to mention most of the demihuman classes have like double or triple the regular amount of XP needed to level
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: May 30, 2017, 08:43:20 am »

My favourite part of AD&D is that Monks aren't allowed to use oil. There's no explanation of what this entails and no other class is limited in this fashion. There's a table with an Oil column that says "Yes" for all the other classes and "No" for Monk.

Well, monks commonly only have one weapon they could apply oil to and you don't want them doing that sort of thing, it dilutes their monk powers.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: May 30, 2017, 08:56:02 am »

They don't want the monks to be oiled up when they start wrestling with the enemy

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: May 30, 2017, 09:21:09 am »

Gives the abbot conniptions, it does.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: May 30, 2017, 09:49:28 am »

So, monks weren't allowed to use oil lanterns then?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: May 30, 2017, 09:57:36 am »

Does... does this mean that monks can't fry food?! D:
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: May 30, 2017, 10:35:06 am »

So, I'm switching states at the end of June, and that means saying an incredibly slurred form of 'God be with you' to my IRL D&D group. Considering that most of the members are also moving away, I've been kicking around the idea of doing an online game to keep us all together as we pursue our respective careers.

Of course, I'll probably open it up to the lovely B12 crew as well, since I always need more bodies to desecrate.

I'm most familiar with 3.5, and that's the version the crew is used to, but I know there's some jank in the rules that gets smoothed out in 5. I like reading character sheets, it's always fun to see what people build, but it would be kinda nice to not have to go: "I know savage species is an official rule book, and I know they think it's a LA+0, but I'm not letting you be a Baleen Whaleman*. No.",  as I did last time I wanted people to go a little more crazy with their character designs. So I suppose I'm open to other editions, but I'm reluctant to leave my edition comfort zone. I know most of the jank, and I'm fairly used to the tricks needed to say 'Okay, you can do that, but here's the catch' instead of just plain 'No'.

I'm a bit torn for settings. I've got two that I've been wanting to run for a while now- one set in a world where the original heroes of prophecy done fucked up severely and most of the world is run by a dracolich and his private vampire court, and the other set on an island filled with mysterious ruins that a completely natural and not malevolent earthquake recently opened up to shipping travel. The former has more hooks that I can push for party cohesion, the latter allows a bit more freeform exploration and murder-bonering.

That all in mind, what kind of game do people recommend (and what advice do people have) for my first major dip into online-only DMing?

*For reference, the Baleen Whaleman starts Large, with +8 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Wis, and +9 Natural Armor.  There are no penalties, unless you count being large as a penalty.  I'm pretty sure someone was high when they penned in LA+0. Aside from a constant need to stuff one's face with krill, they don't really have much of a drop side, or a decent reason why they haven't conquered the world with their bulging whale pecs.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: May 30, 2017, 10:49:14 am »

On one hand 5E is easier to run and probably a better system overall once you learn to play fast and loose with it (easier to do theater of the mind with it as well).

On the other hand oh my god I can't bear the itch to play in a good 3.5 game, I've got so many concepts that aren't possible in Pathfinder!

Or take something weirder, like Dungeon World or something. You can theoretically do anything in a Powered By The Apocalypse game and they're pretty good for off-the-cuff bullshit.

Oh, and while you can occasionally get good randos, you definitely want people you know as a significant part of your group. Reliable folk are hard to find sometimes, but when you have them, try to use them when possible.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:52:43 am by Harry Baldman »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: May 30, 2017, 10:51:49 am »

I wouldn't mind playing 3.5 again one day. Still haven't gotten around to playing 5E though.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: May 30, 2017, 10:54:33 am »

I'm assuming this will be some kind of roll20 game rather than pbp. Still haven't actually played a game of 5E but I've read the entire book (minus the spells) several times and made a few character sheets.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: May 30, 2017, 11:06:31 am »

I would say 5e personally would be best. Nothing to ridiculously stupid to throw you off your game and its a good starting point. Plus, roll20 has specific stuff put for 5e already, so thats nice.

If you do go with bay12, I suggest NOT doing roll20, as I've noticed people on bay12 can tend to drop off and never talk to you again (no idea why, but it happens).

Just be aware that running an online D&D game gets ridiculous in some cases. I've actually had a lot of problems in the online game I played because the DM brought in online friends he never met and it turned from a motley group of 4 mercenaries running a small guild, to a group of 5 bandits and rogues plus one do-gooder who are stuck saving the world because a world ending power got mad at them. And thats just from players coming and going. If you get a good group together, you're good.

I only suggest PBP if you can contantly monitor and update it without people dropping off. It really sucks waiting for people, but at the same time, you don't have to worry about putting aside 8 hours a week to do a session; it just goes when you let it

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 623