Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849134 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #4050 on: June 08, 2017, 09:14:10 am »

You could use the (optional?) rule to expend gold rather than XP and charge them for the honor.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: June 09, 2017, 12:06:42 pm »

Alright, so I've really just got to throw on a banner, give everything another once over, and then it can go to print. Still not happy with that intro, but I've written it so many times now I've gone cross-eyed.

If anyone's insane enough to read through and give me an opinion, I'd appreciate it.

There were Five heroes prophesied to save this world from an age of darkness and servitude- five heroes that would stand at the pivot point of an era, unite the warring nations, and champion the fight for light and liberty.

Five were foretold, five arose, and five died upon the broken earth they were meant to heal.

They died, their quests unfulfilled and their nations broken, two hundred and twenty-seven years, eight months, two weeks, and three days ago. The details of 'why' and 'how' are sparse, truth obscured by two centuries of history written by victors, but the current hierarchy of the world is quite plain.

There is no Sovereign but the Dracolich Makkai.
The Necrocracy serves the Dracolich.
The Mortals serve the Necrocracy, else they are served to the Necrocracy.

Perhaps the first century was bloodier. Perhaps then the wild men were a real rebellion, not some group of primitive malcontents struggling to escape the reach of the Necrocracy. Perhaps then the Gods of light and love offered some protection to their peoples and were not relegated to crude altars assembled in warrens and forgotten wayshrines. Perhaps, once, long ago, people dreamed of restoring the old ways.

If so, then ten generations living under the new order have done much to quell such desires.

A few of the longer lived (or simply immortal) species might still burn with resentment, but their numbers are few, and culled quickly when they show signs of organized resistance. Most people are happy enough to eke out a living- evading the blood price as best they can, and protecting any who they love in the same manner. The Necrocrats, by and large, are not wantonly cruel masters, and they are perfectly happy to allow the more useful members of the mortal species to serve them well in exchange for continued life. Ennui is a perpetual problem for the bloodlords, forbidden as they are from making open war on one another, and an interesting mortal is a wonderful way to wile away the years. There are always more cattle to feed upon, and there are always those willing to exchange their own blood for a pampered life of luxury as a pet.

It is into this life that you have been born. Whether into the pampered harem of a vampire aristrocrat or into the hard life of an outland farmer, you have lived all your days in a world where the Gods are weak and offer little succor, where the dracolich is King to all and God to many, and where your very life is considered to be property- whether you acknowledge that bond or not. Yet things are beginning to change. Armies whose roles had long ago been relegated to protecting the hinterlands from the more savage species have begun to be mustered in earnest. Those close to the necrocrats, whether they be daylight guardians, private entertainers, or valued artisans, have begun to see worrying traces of fear in their masters.

The world of the Quick and the Dead is changing once again. Perhaps you sense the prickle that precedes the lightning, perhaps you're blissfully unaware of the rising wind, but it doesn't really matter either way.

You're still going to be caught in the storm.

Here's the short and sweet version: Heroes of Prophecy done fucked up, but that was more than two centuries ago. Now the mainland of Ankos is pretty much owned by the Dracolich Makkai, and the cities are governed by his pet court of vampire aristocrats. The nations of the past exist only as territory lines for the bloodlords to bicker over, and the mortal races are kept principally as a labor producing food source.

You are one of the little people who has, through whatever means, managed to accumulate a decent amount of personal power. Perhaps you're part of a vampire's daylight guard, perhaps you're a hidden cleric trying to spread the divine in secret, or perhaps you're a freeman bandit who has grown strong in the wild. Whatever your skills, you have the kind of power that makes you start to stand out- which can be a very bad thing when everything in power is some flavor of carnivorous.

The spoilers below contain various bits of information. Bear in mind there is a gigantical vampiric wall of text hiding behind the first one. Do not trust the 'wee' descriptor, it lies.

What I'm Looking For
This is going to be a game hosted on Roll20. I'm pretty flexible for days, but it will likely be 17:30+ (GMT-5) unless by some miracle it happens on the weekend. Considered one of my IRL friends who wants in lives and works in Japan, there's a slight preference to Friday nights, but that's negotiable. Basically this game is to get my old D&D gang back together (we all graduated and moved to different places of the world) and add a few new people. The base group I have is 3~, so I'm only really looking for 3~ more people to join. That means I'm going to be fairly selective.

When you apply, give me the times you can be available (sessions will likely be 3-6 hours in length, leaning to 3-4 hour side of things), and give me an interesting character. If you're new, that's OK. We can help you learn if you're interesting enough, otherwise we'll kill you and eat your liver. None of us are really hardcore powergamers, we're a more story and interaction focused group, so bear that in mind.

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: House Rules (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:55:20 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: June 09, 2017, 12:40:40 pm »

Seemed pretty great, fun read, exciting and different setting. Couple of syntax errors but fairly few for such a large text. And anyone who wants to play DnD shouldn't shrink from a few thousand words.

Definitely a good hook, though it isn't quite clear what the PCs are actually going to do... that might be intended, I dunno.
One wheel short of a wagon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: June 09, 2017, 01:05:56 pm »

What is the difference vwrqween a true vampire and an untrue one?
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: June 09, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »

Looks cool. Sadly for me, that time is sorta an unreliable time for me at the moment, so I probably can't join. Out of interest though, what are the rules for becoming a necropolitan? Since they come up a lot in the setting I'd think there'd be interest in playing them. But starting the game as one has a bit of a questionmark on what the effect on your character would be (since the exp drain is something someone could reasonably have made up for by level 6 or so anyway.)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: June 09, 2017, 01:44:58 pm »

What is the difference vwrqween a true vampire and an untrue one?

True Vampire = Vampire
Untrue Vampire = Vampire Spawn or Half-Vampire

Looks cool. Sadly for me, that time is sorta an unreliable time for me at the moment, so I probably can't join. Out of interest though, what are the rules for becoming a necropolitan? Since they come up a lot in the setting I'd think there'd be interest in playing them. But starting the game as one has a bit of a questionmark on what the effect on your character would be (since the exp drain is something someone could reasonably have made up for by level 6 or so anyway.)

As far as becoming one, it's entirely possible that a mortal of the player's skill (Level 6 is nothing to scoff at) would have been sponsored, or mostly sponsored by their patron (if they have one). However, if it happens later rather than sooner, that level damage is a bit more telling.

Hmm. The less nice thing to do would simply be to declare it a LA+1 class, but that's not exactly a good method.  The class provides rather substantial benefits to the low hit-die side of the class family, but it's pretty bad for classes that usually have a decent constitution already. Decisions, decisions.

Since the XP drain would be compensated if you did it early enough, you'd lose that magical 10% of the way to the next level bonus you get at start (which is basically there so that you can create items before the game starts, if you're inclined. PPE: And I just realized I for some reason didn't include the starting XP boost in this boilerplate  :-\), and 3k gold.

though it isn't quite clear what the PCs are actually going to do... that might be intended, I dunno.

I have long ago determined that giving direction to PCs on where the plot is supposed to be is the quickest way to ensure they'll dismantle it. Plus, if I told you what was going to happen, you'd be able to adequately prepare for it, and we can't have that!

This is the world. You're in it. I'm about to pick the world up and shake it vigorously. Have fun!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: June 09, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »

Sounds incredibly fascinating, though there are always details that could be elaborated on. Shame I won't be able to join due to roll 20. I'm assuming it's 5E edition since you don't seem to have rules for making necroplitans?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: June 09, 2017, 02:31:36 pm »

That looks like a way fun game and I'm interested! I've never played 3.5 before though, so I'd probably not end up with a very mechanically complex character.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: June 09, 2017, 02:37:56 pm »

That looks like a way fun game and I'm interested! I've never played 3.5 before though, so I'd probably not end up with a very mechanically complex character.

Well, I'll drop a link here when I'm done with the second reading and whatever I slap in as a banner.

Sounds incredibly fascinating, though there are always details that could be elaborated on. Shame I won't be able to join due to roll 20. I'm assuming it's 5E edition since you don't seem to have rules for making necroplitans?

It's 3.5.

The ritual of Crucimigration, however, is slightly unspecific. The petition cost of the ritual (if you're using their one city of the dead) is 3000gp, and that is presumed to cover the costs of the ritual, but that's not actually explicitly stated. From there it costs one level as raise dead, and then another 1000 xp on top. Thus, it is possible to survive the ritual as early as middle level 2. If you do it at level 2, and are thus reduced by 2000 XP, that's relatively easily made up by further experience. Since the Necropolitan, at base, does not not have an LA, the XP gain should allow you to 'catch up' by the time you reach level 6.

The Necropolitan is well defined, but, without mapping out how and when a character received the experience that caused him/her to rise to level 6, it's difficult to determine exactly what their XP level would be at the start of the game.

Hence the oddness of it. At worst, the character would start one full level + 1000xp below everyone else (6000 xp), but without a LA. At best, they'd only be 600 or XP behind, since they'd only start 2000 XP behind and would be able to compensate with increased gain.
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: June 09, 2017, 05:23:29 pm »

I'm way the fuck up for that, I've been pumped to make a 3.5 character for a very long time now. Got so many ridiculous ideas for 'em. That LA rule in particular makes me terribly interested.

The level 6 starting point is cool too, though I can't say I'd also not be very interested in starting from level 1 just to see how an ambitious and talented group of rathe managed to become truly great at what they do.

You might want to make a Discord for it though, since you're bringing in people from other places as well. Helps in coordinating character creation.

EDIT: Also, er, might want to be a bit careful with those links there Draig.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:33:12 pm by Harry Baldman »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: June 09, 2017, 06:07:53 pm »

I'm way the fuck up for that, I've been pumped to make a 3.5 character for a very long time now. Got so many ridiculous ideas for 'em. That LA rule in particular makes me terribly interested.

The level 6 starting point is cool too, though I can't say I'd also not be very interested in starting from level 1 just to see how an ambitious and talented group of rathe managed to become truly great at what they do.

I thought about starting from level one, I really did. It would be interesting to see characters develop from a period where even the weakest member of the necrocracy is a lethal threat and paying for something using your blood is a serious option. It would certainly give a grittier feel to the game, where the players are a bit more in tune to the plight of the common kine, but it would also be the very devil to write encounters for.

Level 1 characters have the unnerving tendency to be killed by particularly motivated housecats. I've seen it happen.

Anyway. Level 6 is, to my mind, a good place to be when dealing with vampires as your superiors. Even the most Betsy basic vampire still outstrips you to a laughable degree, but you can allow yourself the illusion that, with enough support, you might be able to hurt one- and Spawn are well within your striking range.

If there's enough support for a lower leveled campaign, I'd consider it, but... Well, I would like people to wait a little bit before embarking on the dead train.

You might want to make a Discord for it though, since you're bringing in people from other places as well. Helps in coordinating character creation.

Will do!

EDIT: Also, er, might want to be a bit careful with those links there Draig.

You know, my first reaction to that was to make sure they all worked, and then I realized what you were probably getting at.

Yeah... Fixed. Did not actually think about that.

---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
---

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: June 09, 2017, 11:28:01 pm »

Ok, I have been thumbing through the allowed source books, and I have a question on character choice.

I would like to use a psionic half-elf as the prototype, but the main sourcebooks only allude to this being possibly allowed. (Specifically, psionic elves, and that is in the psionics expanded handbook (which is refferenced by one of the books you put on the allowed list.)

The tentative backstory involves a fallen human noble house, that sought favor at the rise of necropolitan society, and ended up just being the breeding stock for a perversely minded vampire vintner. (as opposed to complete destruction.)   Given that vampire lords are old, and creatures of habit (and habitual taste), they have certain preferences, and views on what their blood of choice should taste like. In this case, the vintner has a thing for "noble poise", and "power."-- and has selectively bred his new chattels to retain those flavor profiles, even though their heritage has no real meaning in necropolitan society otherwise.  Emergence of untrained psionic capability is a result of this selective breeding, the partial elven heritage being another of the vintner's whimsical choices in flavor profile refinement. The character has managed to escape custody (the degree to which this was 'allowed' vs how much was actual accomplishment, is debatable)  Character has spent the past decade and a half doing this and that, trying to escape necropolitan society, and has become a jack of all trades (but master of none) type handiman, but who has natural abilities that are not trained. (favors development to soulknife, or wilder class, but has some profession and craft skills that puts him all over the place, since he has drifted from career to career to evade detection, on his journey to get out of this hellhole.) Main personality feature is self-reliance, alignment is neutral good. Favors intelligence and charisma as attributes, but has a slightly above normal dex.  Is naturally charismatic (infectiously so) due to his selective parentage. Despite this, is a loner, and is innately distrustful of everyone. (wants to avoid being collected for his blood debts for being eloped property. Cannot reasonably trust anyone.) This manifests in deeply inset paranoia held back behind a calm and charismatic veneer. Strongly avoids interractions with vampires and vampire spawn, because he has a very specific smell-- again, a result of his parentage. (Vampires are chummy, and know about each other's vices as a result of intrigue. He is CLEARLY the property of this specific vampire vintner, and reeks of it. Being near enough to be sniffed out means he will be discovered, and his escape plans will be busted. This is a potential plot hook to hold him into a contract of some sort, as an underhanded slight against his 'owner' by a rival lord, should he be discovered. To avoid such discovery, he sticks to mortal company only as much as is possible and has deeply held, but secret dislike for vampire upper crust and their decadence.)

I think there is enough interesting features there to warrant his existence, and am more than willing to accept all manner of handicaps, due to his abilities being purely genetic and totally untrained-- in fact, he has been training just about any other skill set BESIDES that ability, which is why he currently favors 'wilder' type psionic manifestation.

Would my race selection be acceptable with this kind of backstory, for this character archetype?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: June 10, 2017, 01:13:52 am »

Psionics, as a rule, can rise in any nearly any  species. Though the selective breeding is a nice touch.

Avoiding vampires, but getting by in life being a 6th level psionic doing odd jobs, is a very interesting kind of work. To gain experience and grow to your current stature you can't just be doing light work, and that means you're either working with Talents, Rathe who are in over their head, or the non-Vampire segments of the lower necrocracy. It's the kind of life that might lead to a rather spicy vintage.

How he's been going through the tasting, year by year, without being detected by a gourmand, is an interesting question as well.

I've got nothing against you filling him out. He seems interesting enough, and doesn't break anything terribly at this juncture.

However, you should probably post this in the Stillborn Gods thread in order to avoiding sidetracking NFO's thread.
---

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: June 10, 2017, 01:20:13 am »

I wanted affirmation on this chain of thought before investing large sums of mental energy. It is YOUR game, I want to do this right.  I will invest the energy later, then make a write up in the other thread.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 623