Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845477 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #4770 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:33 am »

AKA “physics works because we can launch an object at incredibly high speeds within 6 seconds, but physics doesn’t work because we can somehow pass an object between thousands of people within those six seconds”?
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: December 11, 2017, 10:51:05 am »

If we're treating "free actions take up no time" as some sort of law of physics, rather than merely a helpful abstraction, we should probably also address the fact that time stops for as long as you keep talking. Opening up the possibility of some sort of combat filibuster.
Also those rules only really come into play during combat, meaning you need to make all your peasants punch each other first.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: December 11, 2017, 10:59:04 am »

Personally, I let it happen once when i  was DMing. But that was weird Situation. One of my players was trying out the “DM Patron” from Middle Finger of Vecna, which I will saw was incredibly well done in that its so up for interpretation. His character regularly tried to exploit physics, be it from the aforementioned railgun or the “Bag of Holding Shotgun” (Turning a BOH inside-out while running at 25 Meters per second). I usually let him have fun with the second one, Having each object deal damage at the cost of most likely shattering. The Peasant Railgun worked once, when they had to blow up a blockaded tunnel. None of the peasants were willing to go into battle though, so for the most part the Railgun stayed as a utility tool. However, I did let two warriors in lead armor hold up two iron greatshields, have someone cast lightning bolt in between them, then shoot an arrow through to create an actual (albeit rustic) railgun. Considering it took 3 players turns to accomplish this action, i just set the resulting arrow as a 6d8 guaranteed damage. They abandoned the tactic after a while.

As for how NPC’s perceive this, one of the ways we kept the Warlock DM Patron form effecting too much was we just had the NPC’s more or less shrug and accept it, assuming it was just some sort of magic that they couldn't conceive.
Ďlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: December 11, 2017, 11:09:26 am »

I propose we call this Level .5 Philosopher Zeno's paradox. If free actions take up no time, do they even happen?

Still better than rolling for enunciation, though.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: December 11, 2017, 11:15:43 am »

we should probably also address the fact that time stops for as long as you keep talking. Opening up the possibility of some sort of combat filibuster.
Watch any anime with any sort of combat, sport or other physical conflict. It happens all the time.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: December 11, 2017, 11:30:04 am »

as far as I'm aware a free action can only be five seconds long or shorter.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: December 11, 2017, 01:55:30 pm »

Six seconds, technically. Even so, the best time to discuss battle plans is in the middle of battle, as exemplified here.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: December 11, 2017, 02:31:34 pm »

In 5E, talking isn't a free action. It actually says that you can only say somehing like a short warning during a combat round. Pretty sure most people homebrew it to being a free action again. And another thing, in 3.5 you can only use a reasonable amount of free actions.

The Peasant Railgun would only work if the line of peasants happened to have an initiative in which each person in line has the next turn.

And how would the Bag Of Holding Shotgun work? The items don't have any acceleration on them, seeing as they were in a different dimension until they were let out, and gravity doesn't start to work on them until the items are let out.
What you could do, is you could use the Bag of Holding to drop a lot of stuff on something after flying above the something.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:57:31 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: December 11, 2017, 02:55:29 pm »

question for the GMs (just because I'm curious, and it relates to my new character)
have you ever had a player try and make a half-troll, if so how did you have it work. I'm mostly interested in the character's size and regeneration (If you did do the limb removal thing how did you do it and what did the players think)
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: December 11, 2017, 03:08:39 pm »

A half-troll like what you'd want would normally be way too spicy to put into a regular party, no way that it doesn't give you some serious LA and no way it lets you actually regenerate (which is what I assume you mean with the limb removal thing - limbs fight on and that sort of thing). Like here's a homebrew example for 3.5 and here's one for 5E.

I recall there being guidelines in some book or another in 3.5 about how to homebrew up half-monster races which might be the closest thing to an official verdict since I don't think half-trolls figure much in legit D&D stuff, not even in Pathfinder.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: December 11, 2017, 03:20:39 pm »

A half-troll like what you'd want would normally be way too spicy to put into a regular party, no way that it doesn't give you some serious LA and no way it lets you actually regenerate (which is what I assume you mean with the limb removal thing - limbs fight on and that sort of thing). Like here's a homebrew example for 3.5 and here's one for 5E.

cool thanks for these links
I sent my GM the 3.5 one (he already saw the 5e one and said he didn't like a bit of the stuff in there).
I'm sure that at this point the GM and me are going to make a half-troll from scratch.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: December 11, 2017, 05:07:48 pm »

Digging a little deeper, the 3.5 template I posted looks to actually be official rather than homebrew, apparently it's from one of the Fiend Folios. Don't have any of those myself so I can't check to be sure.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: December 11, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »

just looked up the book (its available as a pdf) and there is no mention of half trolls or trollkin (another term I saw floating around)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: December 11, 2017, 05:23:53 pm »

It's a template in the fiend folio, got in hand right now, it's on page 92.

I'm pretty sure the fiend folio wasn't released under ogl, so naughty website probably. But there's a lot of stuff around marked as "homebrew" to avoid getting hammered down I guess.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:26:06 pm by Criptfeind »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: December 11, 2017, 06:10:14 pm »

Almost every time I search an actual 3.5 thing and get a dandwiki hit, it's just unrelated homebrew given the same name.  It's got to where I actively scrub dandwiki from my history just to prevent it from showing up in autocomplete.

Not that all the homebrew is *bad*, it's just very distracting when I'm looking for content we're allowed to use.  (I do love the Red Mage, and we are allowed to choose some of the *reasonable* flaws from amongst the ridiculous).

Edit:  Actually I must have misremembered, since this Red Mage is loosely based on actual Final Fantasy (instead of 8-bit Theater's version who believes in dice and constantly edits his "character sheet").
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:26:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 623