Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1693304 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1665 on: May 05, 2016, 12:27:34 pm »

Paradox is well known for taking a working formula, buggering it, then taking a good while to fix it though (at least recently). Still, been hearing almost nothing but good from the game, so perhaps that'll be delayed to the expansions.

Well known by who? Vanilla Crusader Kings II and vanilla Europa Universalis IV were good games when they came out. They are better games now but they were far from "buggered" on release.

Uhh... no. Vanilla CK2 launched several hard crash bugs. Including one where marking a character of interest would lead to a crash any time you loaded that game. There were other crash bugs, like on the realm tree screen. There were a ton of obvious problems with the diplomatic AI, like how it would allow you to marry matrimarry its heirs to random nobodies. Plots to revoke titles didn't actually work half the time. And the 100 Years' War bookmark didn't even work, because Edward III didn't start with a claim on France. It was an all-around shitshow. And that's not even talking about most of the balance or sensibility issues.

Recent EU4 DLCs and patches have been pretty bad too. Like "oh we'll introduce protectorates but forget to introduce any rules for them" or "for some reason annexing a daimyo now annexes all of Japan, even though this patch had nothing to do with Japan" or "we'll invent naval missions but not make them actually work." The DLC is 100% shovelware at this point.

Stellaris may or may not be any better. We'll see. Paradox's development process has been described by its own people as basically "make it up as we go along."

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 05, 2016, 12:57:32 pm »

For games with the complexity of CKII or EUIV that's pretty good to me. Except the crash bug, those aren't show stopper unless you set out to abuse the imbalances. If you want an actual bad example, try sword of the star II at release where even basic features didn't work at all.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 05, 2016, 12:59:39 pm »

oh dear, sotsII...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 05, 2016, 01:11:19 pm »

Regarding the discussion of whether or not Stellaris will be "buggered" at launch, I'd like to point out that it has no map modes. They've said that they'll change this if the players want this, but the problem with it has been eminently obvious every time people in their twitch stream have to click around on a bunch of different nations to figure out who is allied with whom.

When it comes to stuff like crash bugs, I'm not super worried, but occasional crash bugs are a lot easier to work around than tedious mechanics. And I do think that they'll have fixed any crash bugs which are worse than occasional by launch.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 05, 2016, 01:27:21 pm »

Temper your hype with expectations of bugginess and possible insufficiency of the game's systems.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 05, 2016, 03:57:05 pm »

Yeah. It's a Paradox game. Expect it to feel flat as well as being buggy and lacking much in the way of endgame content on release.

It'll be good, but not amazing. You shod be more hyped for what the game will look like in a couple years after a few good DLCs and a couple meh ones.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1671 on: May 05, 2016, 08:33:06 pm »

If we're comparing Paradox games to other Paradox games, then yeah, Stellaris will probably be buggy and unfinished at launch.
Still, it looks really fun, and you can't really blame them for buggering up a few things when there's more mechanics and depth than most other games.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 05, 2016, 08:37:17 pm »

I mean compared to other Paradox games they could run a 20+ people multiplayer and go hours without anyone getting booted.  That's hundreds of hours of gameplay with relatively few crashes.

So relative to other launches it should be fine.  Relative to other studios' games... well...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: May 06, 2016, 01:22:17 am »

There was a interesting bug, or idk if it was intended or not, at the multiplayer stream. Truces are bound to federations, so if a federation gets disbanded after a war, you don't get no truce, I think.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1674 on: May 06, 2016, 03:16:51 am »

There was a interesting bug, or idk if it was intended or not, at the multiplayer stream. Truces are bound to federations, so if a federation gets disbanded after a war, you don't get no truce, I think.
That's interesting. I hope they keep it in, assuming it's intended.

Also reposting this seeing as it keeps getting buried: https://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris_race_maker/
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: May 06, 2016, 10:33:20 am »

Jebuz krist the steamdiscussions of Stellaris. "WHY RELEASE ON A MONDAY?!?!?11"
There'd be so much hate on unrepsonsive devs if they released it on a friday, since most of them (all?) take their time off during the weekends.
And well, Paradox has this weekend off because of holidays etc.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 06, 2016, 11:36:29 am »

Yeah, people can't seem to understand the monday release is so the devs are around to fix stuff. Entitled will be entitled, I suppose.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 06, 2016, 12:30:00 pm »

I understand that reason, but it's still frustrating to have a whole Sunday off wanting to play and being so close yet so far.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 06, 2016, 12:55:45 pm »

I understand that reason, but it's still frustrating to have a whole Sunday off wanting to play and being so close yet so far.
Eurotime is worst time. We'll have time to wake up and be forced to idle and anticipate the release on Monday.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 06, 2016, 01:58:02 pm »

Temper your hype with expectations of bugginess and possible insufficiency of the game's systems.
Temper thine own hype, for the coming of DLC is all but guaranteed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 632