Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687396 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2015, 08:23:01 am »

I hope you can create fake comets over primitive planets to f*** them up.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2015, 08:25:13 am »

If it's not in the game, I hope it's moddable.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2015, 08:34:16 am »

This would explain EVERYTHING.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2015, 08:35:36 am »

"Comet Sighted" needs to be an event.
"Well then blow it up! Terrible things, comets"
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:09 am »

Chances of this delivering?  Very low.  Is there a chance?  Yes.  Hype level?  Very high.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2015, 08:55:11 am »

Well from the article it seems most of the stuff is already in, so I'm betting that most of what's promised does end up in the final game. And honestly, the systems they described don't seem that much different from what they're used to making in their other games, if only on a larger scale or with more stuff influencing them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2015, 08:59:23 am »

Well from the article it seems most of the stuff is already in, so I'm betting that most of what's promised does end up in the final game. And honestly, the systems they described don't seem that much different from what they're used to making in their other games, if only on a larger scale or with more stuff influencing them.

I'm more thinking of them hooking it all together in a meaningfull way.  I mean, it's fairly easy to have procedurally generated planets, just slap a grid with different textures or whatever, but to make it meaningfull and actually impact gameplay is another thing.

I am afraid it will end up like Spore, a whole bunch of features that, if expanded upon, would make a good game, but instead it seems like several different games sown together.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2015, 09:28:59 am »

True, but this seems more like features of a single game except they get the focus at different times instead of all at once. Building up planets, exploring, combat, diplomacy, espionage, all of those are staples of the 4x/GS genre. What they're doing here it seems is playing with how and when you approach those things making the game engaging at multiple stages instead of the usual interesting early and mid game with the lategame just being next turn and doomfleets all around.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:05 am »

instead of the usual interesting early and mid game with the lategame just being next turn and doomfleets all around.

Or in the case of MoO 2, one doomship which can destroy entire fleets and worlds on its own.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 07, 2015, 05:15:35 pm »

instead of the usual interesting early and mid game with the lategame just being next turn and doomfleets all around.

Or in the case of MoO 2, one doomship which can destroy entire fleets and worlds on its own.

*star ruler flashbacks*
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 07, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »

PTX
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #191 on: August 07, 2015, 06:07:47 pm »

*star ruler flashbacks*
Dem ships bigger than galaxies.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2015, 07:14:19 pm »

I haven't been this hyped since... spore. Not the best precedent. Hopefully they can pull it off.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2015, 08:32:01 am »

This is Paradox developing the game. Not publishing it. They aren't going to say "well it turned out it sucks" and kill the project half a year before the release is scheduled. The game might end up being casual tripe but (unlike the latest EU and HoI games) there isn't a better predecessor for it to compare unfavorably to, which to me seems like the biggest problem people have with those games. And it'll have plenty of support, even if a lot of it might wind up being paid DLC. Will it be perfect at launch? Probably not. Will some people have expectations too high for reality to match ever? I don't doubt it. But I'd be willing to bet this game, like literally every other one of Paradox's flagship titles, will end up being a grand strategy mainstay.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2015, 11:54:34 am »

This is Paradox developing the game. Not publishing it. They aren't going to say "well it turned out it sucks" and kill the project half a year before the release is scheduled. The game might end up being casual tripe but (unlike the latest EU and HoI games) there isn't a better predecessor for it to compare unfavorably to, which to me seems like the biggest problem people have with those games. And it'll have plenty of support, even if a lot of it might wind up being paid DLC. Will it be perfect at launch? Probably not. Will some people have expectations too high for reality to match ever? I don't doubt it. But I'd be willing to bet this game, like literally every other one of Paradox's flagship titles, will end up being a grand strategy mainstay.
Actually, they are willing to do exactly that, if they feel it necessary; they did it with their planned foray into RPGs, Runemaster/Project Nero, which was another PDS-developed in-house project.  They scrapped it because they couldn't make it entertaining, rather than pushing out a bunch of dreck onto the market.  They don't just do it to other people's works; they'll go Old Yeller on their own pet projects if need be.

That said, I do look forward to this.  I'm a little worried about the high expectations and grandiose promises which make me think of MOO3, but Paradox has always been known for their post-release service and the flexibility of their games for modders. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:56:51 am by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 632