Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687520 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #360 on: October 13, 2015, 07:43:55 am »

I will name my first science vessel Event Horizon and hope for there to be !!Fun!! unleashed through its actions eventually.
Given how much they're hyping the "unforeseen consequences" (paradoxically enough :P) I'm pretty sure all science vessels will be named this by default.

Well that or "Lud Was Right"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 13, 2015, 09:32:03 am »

The USS Admiral Ackbar.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 13, 2015, 09:54:32 am »

And every homeworld's first starbase "The Unlabeled Lever"?
It's a game. Have fun.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 13, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »

EU4 and following GUTTING Hearts of Iron recieved from the hands of Paradox makes me very very weary and not-hyped for that game ..

Srsly, 2-3 years back i would wet my pants at the prospect of playing Paradox space 4x, now its just "meh, its gonna be dumbed down, casual shit like Sid Meier Starships".

I hope im right, god damned i hope ..
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 13, 2015, 02:41:09 pm »

I don't think paradox could actually make something on the level of sid's spaceships. Sounds too simplified.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 13, 2015, 03:03:19 pm »

I don't think paradox could actually make something on the level of sid's spaceships. Sounds too simplified.

HOI4 begs to differ.
Anyway as i said - im not hyped at all but im not discouting it entirely. Time will tell.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 13, 2015, 03:10:40 pm »

I'm not sure that streamlinging the game to be less obtuse is equal to dumbing down. I'm a big fan of the HoI series and 4 seems really awesome imho, not sure what you see as the problem exactly, yes they've moved some stuff around but the game is as complex as it ever was, only this time it's much easier to read and understand what is going on without having to read up manuals and guides to do so.

Also the fling beacon thing is pretty much the FTL from mass effect it seems, and that Loa race from SOTS2 which were basically a nano swarm AI kind of race which could fire giant globs of matter and nanites at FTL speeds, which would then assemble into ships upon arriving into the target system.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 13, 2015, 04:09:15 pm »

HOI4 begs to differ.
Anyway as i said - im not hyped at all but im not discouting it entirely. Time will tell.
HOI4 isn't even out yet, and Production seems far more in-depth now. The only thing that'd be simpler is the way you control your army (but hoi3 was atrocious). So far it seems they removed the stupid things hoi3 added and making controls easier.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 13, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »

Same. I looked through all the video walkthroughs and all it seems is that they just made the UI nicer. I love Hearts of Iron but the controls in 3 were horrendous.

I too highly doubt Paradox is actually capable of dumbing down their grand strategy games. If anything they seem to get more and more complex each iteration.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 13, 2015, 04:19:21 pm »

Same. I looked through all the video walkthroughs and all it seems is that they just made the UI nicer. I love Hearts of Iron but the controls in 3 were horrendous.

I too highly doubt Paradox is actually capable of dumbing down their grand strategy games. If anything they seem to get more and more complex each iteration.
Pretty much. At most, they make questionable choices, but there is no "dumbing down". I think this is a case of thinking "accessible" means "dumbed down".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 13, 2015, 04:23:31 pm »

Pretty much. At most, they make questionable choices, but there is no "dumbing down". I think this is a case of thinking "accessible" means "dumbed down".

HoI4 is a return to HOI's roots if anything. HoI3 was honestly a mess of overly complex poorly functioning systems that seemed great on paper but in practice were frankly a waste of resource.

And EU has always been baby's first paradox game, I'm sorry but it's true. Never been anything but Map Painter Simulator.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 13, 2015, 07:03:26 pm »

Honestly, I hate streamlining. Look what streamlining has done to the TES series. Weak man, weak. If anything I want MORE options, with the ability to automate some of them a la Distant Worlds.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 13, 2015, 07:05:45 pm »

Are you sure thats not just the elder scrolls expecting modding to improve whatever they forgot?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 13, 2015, 08:45:36 pm »

Honestly, I hate streamlining. Look what streamlining has done to the TES series. Weak man, weak. If anything I want MORE options, with the ability to automate some of them a la Distant Worlds.
I will admit that sometimes, I do miss being able to research every single jot and whit in HOI1.  Then I actually dust off HOI1 and remember why they got rid of it; for those who missed that game, if you played HOI2, basically imagine each of the five sub-icons of each HOI2 tech as its own HOI1 tech, and you'll have a rather simplified grasp of it.  It just wasn't all that meaningful, but rather was mostly busy-work.  I won't say that I enjoy the fact that some things have been overly streamlined out of existence (I want my polearms back, Bethesda! They're armed poles and stuff!), but I can't say that I'm upset with all of the streamlining done with the HOI series. 

Of course, I'll also admit that I never made the jump from the HOI2's iteration of the Europa engine and its immediate descendants (read: Darkest Hour) to HOI3's iteration of Clausewitz, even where I managed from EU2 to EU3, because I just couldn't get into all the changes made to HOI3 when it was combined with my own...ambivalent attitude towards World War 2-era warfare.  So there is that. :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 13, 2015, 08:57:02 pm »

I have HoI 2 and some expansions (Armageddon?), but never play it because any game I started eventually crashed and became unplayable, with or without mods. (Reloading it, it would just crash again)

So that's a Paradox game I regret buying.

I'm hoping that the combat and army size and composition and so forth will be more like other 4xes rather than being as effectively uncontrollable as it is in CKII. (I was going to say that was the only other Paradox game I'd really played, but then I remembered I also have EU3, but quit playing that when I got CK2)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 632