Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687172 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »

One small thing that jumped out at me:

We have created a great many (ca 100) unique, animated portraits for the weird and wonderful races you will encounter as you explore the galaxy.

That...that is wonderful. So many 4X games I've played have just one, maybe two portraits for each race, so that every human faction in (insert game here) looks identical. Such a tiny detail in a very nice dev diary but I love it so.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »

Or they have several portraits, but only one animated one that gets used for everything.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 19, 2015, 03:27:35 pm »

Hmm, maybe.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 19, 2015, 03:35:11 pm »

It's worth remembering that these hundred portraits are also being spread across six general categories rather than tied many-to-one to specific races within those categories.  So, to borrow examples from MOO, Mammalian portraits could encompass Humans, Psilons, Elerians, Mrrshans, Gnolams, and Bulrathi.  It'd be nice to have more than one for each specific species, but I'm not so certain that will be the case. 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 19, 2015, 05:19:25 pm »

I'm thinking it'll be maybe a single portrait per "species" (I'm guessing the names and such will be semi-randomized), so we can have multiple games with different ones, rather than Human, Alien 1, Alien 2, etc in each game.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GundamMerc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 20, 2015, 02:39:01 am »

Yes, the battletech FTL is instant, but recharge is between one to two weeks, assuming you don't have a battery system in the jumpship to carry enough charge for a second jump. This does present the very real possibility that you can jump into a hostile system and lose your jumpship because it can't get back out in time.

Also, prior to 3070 or so, no one except the clans have warships, and jumpships were both irreplacable and practically unarmed, so surrendering it was considered the logical thing to do.

After 3070, everyone has piles of warships, and the whole universe went a bit out of whack.

So basically exactly what I said.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 20, 2015, 03:57:08 am »

After that last DD, [hype intensifies]

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 26, 2015, 03:14:46 pm »

It is monday, and you know what that means.

Looking good so far, especially tending towards victoria-style pops.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 26, 2015, 03:16:51 pm »

Sirus will be happy as well - multiple portraits per race confirmed, albeit to varying degrees of diversity, and I am more than pleased to eat my words on that matter. ^_^

Now, as you remember from last week’s diary, there are about a hundred different alien race portraits in the game. Thus, we initially felt that lesser leaders should not have actual portraits, because we could not possibly produce enough of them to provide the requisite variety. But then, the artists started to experiment with different backgrounds and clothes, which thankfully proved sufficient to allow all leaders to show a portrait.

The different types of leaders all use different sets of clothes. This helps increases variety, but also reinforces their role, with admirals having a militaristic uniform, governors being more casually dressed, and scientist being a bit more techy. Clothes are shared between some of the more similar species, because creating five unique apparels for each species is just an enormous amount of work. (Not all species wear clothes though; it would be odd if this was every alien race’s custom.)

I expect that humans will be by far the most popular race to play. Therefore, they are getting some special attention with different ethnicities, genders and hair styles. There is nothing stopping modders from doing the same for other races, of course! For example, the system could easily be used for other things, like an insect race where you have a multi tiered system, with one appearance for the ruler, a completely different morphology for your Pops, and a third for your leader characters...

Oh, and also, if you remember the last dev diary, the human polity pictured is Individualist 2x, Xenophile 1x.  Just a curiosity to point out, but nothing much further (yet). 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:20:58 pm by Culise »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 26, 2015, 03:40:01 pm »

Sirus will be happy as well - multiple portraits per race confirmed, albeit to varying degrees of diversity, and I am more than pleased to eat my words on that matter. ^_^

Now, as you remember from last week’s diary, there are about a hundred different alien race portraits in the game. Thus, we initially felt that lesser leaders should not have actual portraits, because we could not possibly produce enough of them to provide the requisite variety. But then, the artists started to experiment with different backgrounds and clothes, which thankfully proved sufficient to allow all leaders to show a portrait.

The different types of leaders all use different sets of clothes. This helps increases variety, but also reinforces their role, with admirals having a militaristic uniform, governors being more casually dressed, and scientist being a bit more techy. Clothes are shared between some of the more similar species, because creating five unique apparels for each species is just an enormous amount of work. (Not all species wear clothes though; it would be odd if this was every alien race’s custom.)

I expect that humans will be by far the most popular race to play. Therefore, they are getting some special attention with different ethnicities, genders and hair styles. There is nothing stopping modders from doing the same for other races, of course! For example, the system could easily be used for other things, like an insect race where you have a multi tiered system, with one appearance for the ruler, a completely different morphology for your Pops, and a third for your leader characters...

Oh, and also, if you remember the last dev diary, the human polity pictured is Individualist 2x, Xenophile 1x.  Just a curiosity to point out, but nothing much further (yet). 
I think we may be able to customize the human policies if we choose to play as them. I wonder if the devs are right in that humans will be the most popular pick. Makes me want to try a megacampaign when Stellaris is close to launch.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 26, 2015, 07:32:58 pm »

I think the first thing I'll try to play as is Militaristic Xenophiles. "Murdering you is just our way of saying hi!" :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #401 on: October 26, 2015, 07:35:05 pm »

"We think you are great! Now join us or else!"

Resistance is futile.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:22 pm »

This might be a bit obscure, but
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 26, 2015, 09:28:54 pm »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 26, 2015, 09:30:29 pm »

Highly militaristic doesn't necessarily mean an all-consuming desire to conquer, right? Seems like it'd be possible to have a strong military tradition + etc. while still being interested in other cultures/species. The human government in Mass Effect seemed rather like that.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 632