Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679484 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1695 on: May 08, 2016, 02:14:39 am »

OK yeah that's pretty lame.  Hopefully fan response makes them reconsider sooner rather than later.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 08, 2016, 02:22:11 am »

Yeah.  I was planning on a slavery empire too for my first playthrough and while I'll probably still do that the lack of dealing with slave rebellions and such dampens my enthusiasm a bit.  Also if there was anyone whose opinion of me I cared about, they might now think I'd decided to go with slaves for easy mode (no idea if it actually will be, but it looks like it's a common reaction to the news).

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 08, 2016, 02:24:01 am »

I'm going to make my first game as humans.  Seems like it will make things more special, and it matches the usual narrative of humans entering the stars (where they don't know what to expect but the other alien species already know what's up).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 08, 2016, 02:28:37 am »

A clumsy mish-mash of D&D Illithids and light (lite?) Lovecraft references for me.  All other races are only fit to be slaves (or food, if only the game let us eat them - let's say that putting them on farming tiles represents that), while my main species focuses on societal research for psionics and gene modification stuff.  If possible, try to trigger a late game crisis to bring forth extra dimensional horrors to engulf the galaxy in madness and terror.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 08, 2016, 02:55:37 am »

The lack of slave revolts was in the version of the game played in the multiplayer thing in London, right? It might still be in the release version or at least get in the first patch. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. It certainly seems like something that needs to e in the game during the first weeks.

Slave revolts don't seem like they'd be very likely to succeed without outside help anyway, but they would certainly do major economical damage. I mean, even after you put the revolt down, you've killed a large portion of your work force, lost the work they didn't do while revolting and likely damage infrastructure badly. This should create a creeping cost associated with slavery. Especially when the revolt happens at the worst possible time, such as when you are fighting a war of attrition and suddenly your mineral production cuts off etc.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: May 08, 2016, 03:26:41 am »

The lack of slave revolts was in the version of the game played in the multiplayer thing in London, right? It might still be in the release version or at least get in the first patch. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. It certainly seems like something that needs to e in the game during the first weeks.

Slave revolts don't seem like they'd be very likely to succeed without outside help anyway, but they would certainly do major economical damage. I mean, even after you put the revolt down, you've killed a large portion of your work force, lost the work they didn't do while revolting and likely damage infrastructure badly. This should create a creeping cost associated with slavery. Especially when the revolt happens at the worst possible time, such as when you are fighting a war of attrition and suddenly your mineral production cuts off etc.
Nah, it's been practically confirmed that there won't be any at release though they're open to changing that.

I also don't think this is a particularly huge deal, though it does seem a bit strange. I'd like to say Paradox knows what they're doing but uhhh.... shattered retreat... coalitions...

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: May 08, 2016, 05:03:49 am »

Reading the Reddit thread it seems that there's an exploit on Vic2 where conquering China is an exploit.

It'll get fixed though, if not mods then the devs will. Having an organized slave revolt outside of a planet would just be weird though. Or, I don't think they need to revolt. Just give a bit more con like research to go along with the slaves. Or make their working bonus shrink with the happiness.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 08, 2016, 05:17:15 am »

Nah, it's been practically confirmed that there won't be any at release though they're open to changing that.

I also don't think this is a particularly huge deal, though it does seem a bit strange. I'd like to say Paradox knows what they're doing but uhhh.... shattered retreat... coalitions...

To be fair, they're making a bunch of that stuff optional. Pdox isn't good with rollouts, but they do listen to their community more than other big devs.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:23 am »

Yeah and i'm not so sure how they would be able to fix it. Atleast make unhappy slaves shit workers.
Because having them individually checked for revolt risk will be horrible for the FPS, i'd assume.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 08, 2016, 06:03:12 am »

You could just limit slave factions by sector, right? And/or have slaves automatically join factions that include emancipation in their list of changes. Yeah, it would be weird for slaves to get their hands on any high-tech weapons (not to mention starships), but there should be serious chance for constant economical sabotage.

I mean, that's what sunk the Mongol fleet trying to invade Japan, for example. Chinese slaves had built them shitty ships on purpose and they just blew up in the storm. Nazis had similar difficulties with the quality of equipment made by slaves.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 08, 2016, 06:11:18 am »

I think some of the outrage comes from the fact that it could be used to just trivialize any kind of rebellion.

Newly conquered planet on the cusp of rebellion and your peacekeeping armies just aren't enough to deal with it? Just enslave everybody, see their independence faction getting erased because all the pops now get put into the slave rebellion. A month later you just emancipate them all again and the new independence faction needs to tick up again. And once they've done that, you can just repeat the slave-emenacipation cycle to get rid of it again.

They could let slaves be able to join other factions and abolish the slave faction completely. Just add emancipation of any partaking slaves to a succesfull rebellion.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1706 on: May 08, 2016, 06:24:20 am »

Inb4 pdox checks this thread for suggestions
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: May 08, 2016, 08:43:28 am »

I suggest tinychaos as your new name.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: May 08, 2016, 09:08:56 am »

The pre-order portraits have been revealed. They are below:

Furthermore, the whole project augustus clicker game unlocked this for everyone:

And if you log into the game with your paradox account, you also get this:
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: May 08, 2016, 09:11:42 am »

I'm liking these two. Hydra and PugGremlin :D
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 632