Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687055 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3405 on: October 25, 2016, 01:11:01 am »

I am currently a little bit indecisive about what combination of traits, government and ethos I should play with.
Currently though, the RNG seem to put me among the polar opposite to me (aggressive ones when I'm trying to be a diplomatic and peaceful federation builder) early on, so I think early aggressive expansion would be the key here.
My question is.. What is the best combination, for building many ships as fast and cost-efficiently as possible?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:14:31 am by Ultimuh »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: October 25, 2016, 01:35:25 am »

I mean... colonizing as many planets as possible helps, as well as researching and building the various assembly yards. Developing a "tall" empire rather than a wide one is a feasible early-mid game strategy, but you'll need to expand eventually. Cruisers seem to be the best bang for your buck, but you'll need Battleships for big set-piece battles. Corvettes are useless once you unlock the other classes, and destroyers really only exist to pad fleets out a little bit.

Also try to avoid building fortifications if you want a larger fleet. They suck up a lot of maintenance. Can be useful in delaying the enemy and preventing invasions from reaching more Core-ward planets.

... Just realized you meant government types... Try Junta I think it is? or Military republic? Along with industrialist. The more empire-themed gov'ts also have some interesting fleet-related edicts, also the Space Empire's +20% to border range is a real boost in acquire new mining rights. Really the key is just trying to max out mineral and credit income while lowering fleet maintenance (and optionally repair and upgrade costs.)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: October 25, 2016, 01:54:37 am »

Oligarchic is pretty good early, since it means cheaper mining stations (which are the only ones you want to build early). Afterwards, Military Dictatorship is pretty good. Republic is kinda worthless since it improves armies (and only fleets are important), and an oversized ship is pretty good.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: October 25, 2016, 02:28:33 am »

TBH I usually go Fanatic Materialist + Despotic Hegemony + Intelligent when I want to cheese. Spam those research stations and out-tech everyone else, because the principle element in eliminating the resource chokes is accumulating tech. The bonuses are good throughout the entire campaign, too, since they make it easier to crank out the repeatables at endgame tech.

Right now though I'm playing Fanatic Militarist + Spiritualist (since I took the -food trait for points) and focusing on booming my economy; I'm pretty much permanently energy capped even though I'm spamming stations and ships like no tomorrow. IIRC Spiritualist is one of the ones that gets really nice permanent empire bonuses from certain events.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: October 25, 2016, 02:32:24 am »

Well, high tech is always good, but that usually takes time before you outclass everyone else.
What I need is to get out as many ships as early as possible, so I can crush those closest to me early on.
I'm not too concerned with end-game results unless there is a crisis going on.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: October 25, 2016, 03:38:08 am »

How do XL slots and new naval combat fare?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: October 25, 2016, 05:06:23 am »

I'm in a situation where I got greedy and, uh, colonized near an isolationist Fallen Empire... a lot. Predictably, they eventually declared war... but the wargoal was just Humiliate. I didn't have a problem with that when I expected losing half of my worlds, so I just smiled, surrendered and took it like a champ.

The thing is, they also kill my ruler when I surrender. Ten years later, they declare war again, I surrender, they kill my ruler... and suddenly I realize I'm essentially offering up my rulers as ritual sacrifices to appease the FE every ten years, in some kind of amazingly twisted tributary relationship. I can only imagine how the young rulers feel about this.

But I'll have my revenge. I grow stronger with every cycle, and one day I will claim a million Fallen souls for every one of my people lost.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: October 25, 2016, 06:38:29 am »

I hear that Fallen Empires have something of a weakness at close range. Is it true they still don't replenish their fleets? If you can somehow avoid the bulk of their battle fleet you may be able to whittle them down? Perhaps sacrifice you own fleet in an attempt to destroy one or two of their ships to research after the hostilities conclude?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: October 25, 2016, 06:46:02 am »

Yeah they use lances and torps, so they're rather weak at close combat. and a fallen empire doenst produce ship's, they need to awaken first then they start mass producing titans and battlecruisers to fuck up your day.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: October 25, 2016, 10:49:54 am »

I'm in a situation where I got greedy and, uh, colonized near an isolationist Fallen Empire... a lot. Predictably, they eventually declared war... but the wargoal was just Humiliate. I didn't have a problem with that when I expected losing half of my worlds, so I just smiled, surrendered and took it like a champ.

The thing is, they also kill my ruler when I surrender. Ten years later, they declare war again, I surrender, they kill my ruler... and suddenly I realize I'm essentially offering up my rulers as ritual sacrifices to appease the FE every ten years, in some kind of amazingly twisted tributary relationship. I can only imagine how the young rulers feel about this.

But I'll have my revenge. I grow stronger with every cycle, and one day I will claim a million Fallen souls for every one of my people lost.

That's pretty cool. Does only the FE get to kill your leader with a humiliate war goal?

In my game a FE peacekeeper awakened very early in the game, and ate up the decent sized terran empire in a very un-peaceful way. They where easily stronger than the rest of the galaxy combined(including 2 other FE) at the time I think. They wanted me to sign their manifesto, which would bind me from declaring war and I refused, leading them to hate me. They haven't declared war yet, but somehow suddenly everyone near me got very interested in alliances so we got a loose bloc of resisting empires right now. I started building a strong defense around one of my frontier world as a trap, in case they decide to wipe us out for the greater good. Meanwhile, I am researching some ancient technology I found in an event that might one day allow me to stand up to the bullies. Pretty fun game overall, even if it got kinda stalled by the gigantic threat of the FE.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: October 25, 2016, 11:17:46 am »

I hear that Fallen Empires have something of a weakness at close range. Is it true they still don't replenish their fleets? If you can somehow avoid the bulk of their battle fleet you may be able to whittle them down? Perhaps sacrifice you own fleet in an attempt to destroy one or two of their ships to research after the hostilities conclude?
They'll start building ships after they Awaken, which will happen if you score a significant victory over them. Killing a couple to research their husks is a tenable idea though.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: October 25, 2016, 11:33:13 am »

So in my current Leviathan playthrough something happened that set off the greater threat opinion bonuses to activate all across the galaxy, but it's been many years since then and I still have no evidence of whatever it was, and there's nothing in my situation log on it. Anyone have any idea what could have caused it?
It's FEF, not FEOF

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: October 25, 2016, 12:37:34 pm »

AI rebellion possibly or Sub-space echoes that you simply didn't get maybe.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: October 25, 2016, 02:20:25 pm »

Alright, I'm reticent to put on a let's play, because (if I buy it) I'd like it to be as new and fresh as possible, but, in comparison to something like Sword of the Stars (my all time favorite 4x sci-fi which I have spent more on than any other game in buying it for the other people in the vain hope that they'll get somewhat into it and play a game with me) what's it like?

I keep coming across this and wanting it, but... I'm not as ready to jump on a new game as I once was.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: October 25, 2016, 02:38:27 pm »

Alright, I'm reticent to put on a let's play, because (if I buy it) I'd like it to be as new and fresh as possible, but, in comparison to something like Sword of the Stars (my all time favorite 4x sci-fi which I have spent more on than any other game in buying it for the other people in the vain hope that they'll get somewhat into it and play a game with me) what's it like?

I keep coming across this and wanting it, but... I'm not as ready to jump on a new game as I once was.

Personally I think it has a lot to improve on. It is not terrible, but if you come from SotS you may be disappointed. They did try some new ideas which sound cool on paper but seem like they didn't quite pan out, like the use of sectors for late game empire management. Stuff like fallen empire are good, but they need more possible interaction that ignore/kill binary that they are right now. I'll probably finish my current game and wait for a new significant patch or good mod before I play again.

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 632