Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686965 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3525 on: October 29, 2016, 06:33:02 pm »

After the Crusaders declared war a second time, I decided that my people had suffered enough.

This time, after fighting off their initial attack (much easier thanks to an FTL lure and a space station; they fell straight into my trap), I did not offer a white peace. Instead, I counterattacked. My fleet attacked and destroyed the space station orbiting their only colony and bombarded the groundside defenses into rubble. I followed this up by sending my psychic warriors to seize control of the world.

The Crusaders, realizing that they could not match us in space or on the ground, surrendered. They were replaced by Spiritual Seekers with ethics matching my own, and became a theocracy. We are, for the moment, besties. I intend to parlay this victory into a long-term mutually beneficial relationship, so that any sour feelings they may eventually feel about being liberated can hopefully be outmatched by stronger good feelings.

Meanwhile, the Mushroom Despots have been doing pretty much nothing. As long as they don't bother me, I won't bother them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: October 29, 2016, 07:03:16 pm »

Well my game might not be as much of a lost cause as I thought it was.

My angry awakened fallen empire neighbours have avoided going to war with me since I buddied up with my other not so angry awakened fallen empire neighbour.

That bought me time enough to terraform every single planet within my reach (even the garbage ones that I had avoided colonizing) so that I could boost up my fleet limit. On that note, does anyone know how to get enough energy to terraform planets into gaia worlds? I have the tech but the amount of energy you need is over my max energy cap and I'm pretty sure I've researched all the techs that boost it.

Unfortunately that left the Unbidden plenty of time to devour the empires on the other side of the galaxy. Sadly they don't seem to be working together or putting up any kind of fight. My Fallen Empire ally who claimed to side with me to fight the extra galactic invaders seems content to sit around and do nothing.

I've been sending my fleets into the Unbidden meat grinder, slowly wearing down their number of fleets. Unfortunately it has turned into a bit of a boring waiting game as I keep needing to replenish my fleet and that takes forever.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: October 29, 2016, 07:19:41 pm »

Well, so far the best-buddy status with the former crusaders looks like it'll hold. We've got a mutual research agreement, a defensive pact, and open migration. My kingdom actually has aliens in it now!

Once I get alliances researched I'll probably go ahead and offer one.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: October 29, 2016, 09:23:09 pm »

Wiles: On top of your fleets menu there should be a button to enable it as "taking point". This will make the AI do that thing where it attaches their fleet to yours. Have you tried that?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: October 30, 2016, 12:11:50 am »

Yeah they only seem to follow you if you're at war, even then they don't always feel like it. The conflict with the unbidden doesn't actually count as a war so my allies aren't interested in going with me.

I did get to close the portal though. After relentlessly throwing my fleets at it I finally managed to get to the portal before their reinforcements showed up.  They still have a pretty large fleet but I think I'm going to leave them alone to keep my neighbours on that side of the galaxy weakened.

My Federation partner, the friendly fallen empire, keeps voting no on all the wars I propose so I think I'm going to have to ditch them if I want to progress any further.

edit: Had to abandon my game. Seems to be a bug right now where you can't leave a federation if you form one with an awakened fallen empire. So I was stuck doing absolutely nothing because I had explored, researched and colonised everything I possibly could. All that was left was expansion through wars, and I couldn't do that because the fallen empire would always vote no on wars. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:44:37 pm by Wiles »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: October 30, 2016, 04:12:40 pm »

And so the Kingdom loses a THIRD science vessel+scientist to RNG. After failing a special project, everyone on the ship went insane and killed each other, destroying the ship in the process. Say good-bye to my nearly 4-star scientist who was going to examine a special homeworld soon.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: October 30, 2016, 04:51:07 pm »

And that's why I don't bother doing anomalies with anything less than a 5 star scientist.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: October 30, 2016, 05:11:22 pm »

It wasn't an anomaly, it was a special research project. She had the levels to do it, and special projects never show the potential for failure.

The worst thing was, the ship didn't explode right away. There was about a half-month-long period in-between failure and destruction, during which she had already been given new orders.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: October 30, 2016, 06:43:27 pm »

Alright, here's a question. What happens if you enlighten a primitive civilization that lives in a system where you have a colony? Do you lose your colony? If so, what happens to the people and buildings on it?

I discovered that one of my systems had a bunch of bronze-age people living on a planet in it. They prefer arid climates while I go for alpine, so if I can integrate them into my kingdom I've got prime colonizers for planets that my own dudes won't touch. Even better, they share my ethics exactly so we'd probably get along almost perfectly. However, it will take a ludicrously long time to enlighten them plus another 30 years or so for them to go from Protectorate to full-fledged member, and if I'll lose a colony for all that time I'd almost rather not bother.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: October 30, 2016, 06:47:12 pm »

Alright, here's a question. What happens if you enlighten a primitive civilization that lives in a system where you have a colony? Do you lose your colony? If so, what happens to the people and buildings on it?

I discovered that one of my systems had a bunch of bronze-age people living on a planet in it. They prefer arid climates while I go for alpine, so if I can integrate them into my kingdom I've got prime colonizers for planets that my own dudes won't touch. Even better, they share my ethics exactly so we'd probably get along almost perfectly. However, it will take a ludicrously long time to enlighten them plus another 30 years or so for them to go from Protectorate to full-fledged member, and if I'll lose a colony for all that time I'd almost rather not bother.
You'll keep your planet. And remember that protectorates give influence.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: October 30, 2016, 06:50:17 pm »

I had a friendly neighbor that was so far behind in tech and expansion that they were months away from me being able to peacefully turn them into a protectorate, with plans to integrate once they become a vassal. Then they joined an alliance.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: October 30, 2016, 08:10:19 pm »

Just get your colony going and drop stations on all the system resources. It'll turn into your vassal/protectorate's territory, but you'll keep all your holdings.

Ugh. I want to do a peaceful-ish run where I assimilate people all friendly-like and build a federation, but the entire game appears to be built so that anything other than going full 40Klike PURGE THE XENOS PURGE THE HERETIC PURGE THE MUTANT is a total pain in the ass. *sigh* More mass-murder it is. Different ethos? PURGE. Alien? PURGE. Alien I intentionally suborned? PURGE. Wrong hair color? PURGE. Unhappy? PURGE. Unhappy because of all the purging? PURGE.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:43:31 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: October 30, 2016, 08:43:39 pm »

More specifically, if your influence is stronger than theirs you'll keep your holdings. It's common to lose stations on the edges of your territory, but an outpost or colony will hold onto them for you.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: October 30, 2016, 10:25:00 pm »

they're talking about in-system things

and basically if you already control something (a station or a colony) once you uplift something, you'll continue to control it

if a resource hasn't had a station built on it by then, then whoever builds it first controls it (i.e. just cuz it's their home system doesn't mean any station you build will fall to their control)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: October 30, 2016, 11:13:43 pm »

IT ALSO MAKES YOUR MAP UGLY AS FUCK. UUUGH, MY BEAUTIFUL SECTORS!!!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 632