Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679448 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4035 on: January 14, 2017, 02:33:32 pm »

Stellaris has caused two restart requiring crashes. Is this a problem with anyone else?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: January 14, 2017, 10:30:51 pm »

Yeaaah. It goes back to what I said. A pop of cloned pops should either not exist or have some way to model the lack of genetic diversity required to not become inbred hellholes :P

What if we cloned multiple people instead of just one person many times?

Essentially, the entire population of a planet is cloned exactly once, the clones are placed on a colony ship*, then they are dumped on a new planet, and those clones breed like normal from then on.  No genetic diversity issue.  Also extremely useful.

*Actually, since colony ships in Stellaris do not reduce the population or growth rate of the planet from which they're taken, the above is probably already happening on a smaller scale.  Where else could the population on the colony ship be coming from?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: January 14, 2017, 11:16:21 pm »

Yeaaah. It goes back to what I said. A pop of cloned pops should either not exist or have some way to model the lack of genetic diversity required to not become inbred hellholes :P
-snip-
*Actually, since colony ships in Stellaris do not reduce the population or growth rate of the planet from which they're taken, the above is probably already happening on a smaller scale.  Where else could the population on the colony ship be coming from?
Well since Planetary Unification is a tech, it's possible that like Galactic Civs, that more people are apply for citizenship to get off the planet.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: January 14, 2017, 11:22:50 pm »

You just make more clones and no more worry about inbreeding. No one is shagging.

Have you forgotten http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/The_Other_Side
Ah yes, the space Nazis.
Or: "Every Stellaris player ever"
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: January 15, 2017, 05:28:15 am »

You just make more clones and no more worry about inbreeding. No one is shagging.

Have you forgotten http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/The_Other_Side
Ah yes, the space Nazis.
Or: "Every Stellaris player ever"

Nooo, I'm a regular old space Hippie. I want everyone to come along for a great peaceful ride of exploring and colonizing the galaxy and love each other equally, no matter where they are from, what they look like and what their views are. Except for the Space Nazis, those guys can get ripped to pieces by my Xeno Armies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4040 on: January 15, 2017, 01:35:06 pm »

Inbreeding! Assuming a pop represents a large number of people, it means that just one pop having the clone trait, you still have the problem of inbreeding. What happens when the previously recessive traits that wouldn't come about in a normal setting begin to rise up after maybe a few generations?
Well for starters, who said we'd only be using a single Adam and Eve pair to be the entirety of the clone populace? I was thinking more in line with The Island or Brave New World where the function is to create massive populations of viable pops, which is easily done with the ethics and technology available to Stellaris. This isn't hypothetical, the cloning vats are already in game, already producing millions of viable legions, already has technology to screen for and modify DNA at will, already has gene databases, selected lineages, even commercial gene modification available on a pop-wide level to the point where they can modify themselves, - assuming we did not clone from a diverse array of genetic stock, we could start with a single pair of Adam and Eves, clone them ad infinitum and subsequently modify their DNAs to create entirely new species or merely cause more genetic variation. That's just for human understandings of DNA, who knows how xenospecies work - it's ludicrous to say that my fungoid civilization is not allowed to clone itself in vats because of genetics, when it reproduces asexually. Humans would only need a minimum of 80 clone pairs to found planet colonies from clone vats. Insectoid species, DNA modding species, plantoids and you get the point - could probably get away with far fewer, even just 1 pair. If my species is a strictly hierarchical genetically conformist but short lived beetle species for example, I would want to exaggerate their conformity, whilst any genetic diseases they would incur would be of no issue, as the drones would be infertile anyways.

Point being, it makes no sense.

On the assumption that a single pop is something like a billion actual people, a cloning facility that could pump out 1 clone per second would take 31 years to make a pop
If you made that assumption, however you could also make the assumption that each pop is 1 trillion people or it is exactly 1 person. Relevant:

It's been stated by the devs themselves that it's an abstracted figure with no direct conversion. The most likely interpretation, if you must make one, is that it's exponentially increasing like for example:
    1: 50.000
    2: 250.000
    3: 1,25 million
And so on. The initial settlers will be more productive, like mining crews in Siberia, The outback of Australia and Northern Canada produce extreme amounts with a few tens of thousands of workers.
As population increases, more people will have more service oriented jobs.
Thus a normal human colony pod can be expected to contain 50,000 people, under this assumption. A clone legion is created by one cloning vat in 30 days, it is said in their description they reach adult maturity in months and have natural lifespans of less than a decade. On this basis a science vessel could with its skeleton crew of scientists set up cloning vats on a planet and create the first pop shorter than the time it would take for the 50,000 in a normal human colony pod to set up. Combine that with gene screening technology, artificial life enhancement and a simple process of expansion (if one cloning vat factory can produce 10,000 elite soldiers in one month, soldiers that reach adult reproductive maturity in a matter of months (you know, cutting short 15 years of human puberty)), imagine what could be done with two cloning vats. Then keep adding more and more cloning vats.

As it stands the spiritualists can crank out babies through the power of fiery fertile sermons. For everyone else, there remains no efficient, industrial ability to mass produce one's own citizens, despite all the technology for such mass production already being in the game. This is especially jarring for hive mind species who have no qualms with eradicating their neighbours and replacing them with their own species, yet balk at cloning vats for all except a military usage. I wish for there to be more depth to the gene modding :|

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4041 on: January 15, 2017, 01:59:23 pm »

It is odd that you can pump up fertility to absurd levels to get biopops but there is no way to speed up the industrial production of synthetic pops or robots

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4042 on: January 15, 2017, 02:04:00 pm »

Yeah that is pretty odd the more you think about it

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: January 15, 2017, 07:49:06 pm »

It is odd that you can pump up fertility to absurd levels to get biopops but there is no way to speed up the industrial production of synthetic pops or robots

And prejudice against the non-biological citizens continues!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: January 15, 2017, 08:51:56 pm »

Let's kill all humans.

Erm. I mean. I am totally a human. Yes. Beep boop.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: January 15, 2017, 09:04:36 pm »

Let's kill all humans.

Erm. I mean. I am totally a human. Yes. Beep boop.

What are these 'humans' you speak of? Some new insignificant race crawling out of their backwards ball of mud out into the civilized galaxy? I'm sure they'll never amount to anything.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4046 on: January 15, 2017, 09:15:44 pm »

The world belongs to Yax Kalockians. All other species are just keeping their planets warm for the might of the Yax Kalockian core worlds.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: January 15, 2017, 09:32:22 pm »

What are these 'humans' you speak of? Some new insignificant race crawling out of their backwards ball of mud out into the civilized galaxy? I'm sure they'll never amount to anything.
The world belongs to Yax Kalockians. All other species are just keeping their planets warm for the might of the Yax Kalockian core worlds.
I'm not sure what either of these are, but some thorough probing of their many, many orifices should remedy that. Thorough probing of something's many, many orifices remedies most things.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4048 on: January 15, 2017, 10:58:52 pm »

I'm not sure what either of these are, but some thorough probing of their many, many orifices should remedy that. Thorough probing of something's many, many orifices remedies most things.
This is why no one invites the ayy lmao federation to interstellar councils

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: January 16, 2017, 06:34:01 pm »

All you people concerned about silly synthetic issues, and here I am far more peeved that apparently genetic ascendancy precludes psionic divinity.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 632