Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687624 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4650 on: April 20, 2017, 01:45:32 pm »

I took it on myself to defend the galaxy against the Unbidden as the glorious Gor Republic, an idealistic, rapidly-expanding democracy built on suffrage through military service. The cowardly pacifist empires in their vast Federation refused to combat the Unbidden threat even as it grew on their border, so we went at it alone.

I should've seen it coming, in retrospect - those hypocritical, treacherous pacifists could never have tolerated the healthy competition of the Republic. Our very existence threatened the hold these authoritarian regimes had on their chained, misguided peoples.

And so it was that the Gor Republic attacked the Unbidden and suffered devastating losses - but the path to the Portal was now almost within reach. And how did these pacifists repay the Gor for their sacrifice? By declaring war upon the weakened Republic.

Their attack was one of overwhelming force, but disorganized and hesitant - the campaign of cowards unused to true war. For decades, the conflict dragged on, the Gor as always throwing themselves to battle without hesitation. In the end, we triumphed, claiming a handful of their worlds as rightful restitution.

Now we have, at last, finished what we started so long ago. The Unbidden are banished - and the Gor are ready to exact their vengeance upon these betrayers...

(Tl;dr: having fun as a militaristic republic, decided to be all Defender of the Galaxy, got backstabbed by an Authoritarian/Pacifist mega-Federation for my troubles, now aim to get my vengeance on. They actually love me right now because of the Threat of the Unbidden, but I will show no mercy.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: April 20, 2017, 04:55:19 pm »

Well, we took our time but First Fleet managed to wipe out the FE navy. With a few quick planetary sieges, in addition to severely reduced war demand score, the Enigmatic Observers capitulated. All their worlds now belonged to us.

Simultaneously, the newly christened Guardians of the Galaxy fleet went into production. Millions of tons of minerals were spent and several spaceports ran 24/7 to produce nothing but our new Guardian-class battleships.

Our scout, the brave crew of the constructor Povav Abb Ybb, went scouting ahead, reporting at least one anchor was in place.

But never fear, the navy is here. Even as the assembly lines ran hot, we sent both First Fleet and Guardians of the Galaxy ahead to prepare for an assault. But alas, the dastardly Unbidden caught our brave cadets in warp cooldown. It was a dire struggle and both fleets took heavy losses, Guardians of the Galaxy in particular due to the lack of screening elements and point-blank range.

The assault was postponed until sufficient reinforcements could arrive, which was complicated by the long distance to our Realm, and the fleet remained holding position just inside Unbidden space.

But what, you might ask, were the other so-called Empires and Federations and Doctrinal Enforcers contributing while our Realm bled? Absolutely nothing! Even our so-called ally merely sat there inside their space, like he did during our defensive war against the Enigmatic Observers, while the Unbidden ravaged the surroundings.

This stab in the back will be remembered.

Years passed by of this phoney war against the Unbidden with those extradimensional cowards attacking our ships.

But we held the line.

First Fleet continued taking losses but, with strategic positioning, our Guardian battleships took minimal damage. Reinforcements had filled the ranks enough that the assault could continue.

It wasn't an easy battle, as the anchor wasn't just guarded by stations, but two full-fledged Unbidden fleets. But the fate of the galaxy was at stake; we could wait no longer.

We were triumphant. Although Guardians of the Galaxy took damage, they still had enough firepower to continue. First Fleet, however, had taken significant damage from the fleets. The corvettes and cruisers had sadly been destroyed and only a few token PD-destroyers remained to safeguards the battleships. Even so, we pressed on, as our scout had reported sightings of two more anchors.

The second anchor was guarded similarly and a hard-fought battle and victory was had. By now, we had reverse-engineered several of the Unbidden's technologies, though it would take time for it to propagate to the front line.

The third anchor was practically undefended.

Finally, the main portal remained. As we sent our fleets, battered but proud, the battleships encountered one last desperate defense by the Unbidden in the form of a fleet, which had entered our dimension just in time. It was quickly dispatched of. And as we aimed our guns at the portal, it was with a thunderous roar, with which we tore it asunder.

The galaxy rejoiced. The Unbidden threat was over.

But it will not last.

For even as we rebuild our fleets, we now take sight at the cowards that had left us to fend for ourselves as they squabbled in their squalor.

We must ask: Do they want total war? If necessary, do they want a war more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?

For we have reaped the fruit of our labor and our unforgiving rage tires us not.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: April 20, 2017, 05:43:25 pm »

-snip-

Good luck. I find the aftermath of a major crisis like that is often just as fun as the crisis itself, since it's one of the few situations that can out and out overturn the galaxy's established order, and unlike the crisis it plays out in a completely different way every time.

I had a similar situation play out where I wanted to play as a democratic crusader (spiritualist, militarist, egalitarian, inspired somewhat by the turn of the century USA and the French 3rd Republic.) I helpfully ended up in a galaxy full of materialistic imperial states and a few peaceful hermit kingdom style xenophobes, but a series of bitter midgame wars where my immediate neighbor kept trying to conquer me made liberating the oppressed masses of the galaxy pretty problematic until I managed to uplift and integrate Earth. After I could colonize all the continental and ocean worlds inside my territory beating them was possible, but it still took one grueling war to liberate some of their worlds and another to bring the rest of the place under my new ally's control.

The Prethoryn Swarm showed up inside the borders of my spiritualist/xenophile/egalitarian buddy's territory at the end of our shared galactic arm really early in the game though, only about 30 years after I'd beaten my original enemy. The two of us and my liberated former rival fought them off, barely, but all the building up was spent beating the swarm back and the rest of the galaxy smelled blood in the water. We were a federation at that point, while the rest were acting individually, but despite giving as well as we got they just had more to give.

Hilariously space freedom was saved when the hermit kingdoms decided to use their enemies' distraction to launch wars of their own. Before, the whole galaxy was a fairly stable half-dozen big empires surrounding my own Pocket of Freedom and a couple heavily armed xenophobe fortresses. Afterward there was a whole chaotic mess of xenophobes genociding or forcing out (and in one case eating) the former imperial species, conquered peoples and slaves rebelling against their masters and trying to carve out space for themselves, and the old powers desperately trying to keep hold of what they've got if not take back what they had before. The swarm was practically an afterthought to set up that whole shitfest, which ended with my allies and the few democratic states that rose joining up (and getting tons of energy and minerals for the Arsenal of Democracy) and liberating the rest.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: April 20, 2017, 05:44:08 pm »

This is the fifth time I've fought off the unbidden (this time it was much harder because bumrushing was harder thanks to it being on the opposite side of the galaxy, and my ships were geared as anti-armour), and it's annoying me now.

I'm gonna find the commands to summon the Prethoryn Scourge and the Machine Consciousness.
Why not install a mod that allows for multiple crises to trigger per game?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: April 20, 2017, 05:52:08 pm »

The Unbidden are who you are going to fight the MAJORITY of the time.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: April 20, 2017, 06:42:41 pm »

I discovered how to unite the galaxy.

If you demand that all of a civ's planets liberate themselves as a war demand, they will reform their entire government under your identical ethics. They will then love you and usually join your federation.

All will join the unity in time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: April 20, 2017, 06:47:20 pm »

Especialy with FE's waking up being a thing.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:30 pm »

If you demand that all of a civ's planets liberate themselves as a war demand, they will reform their entire government under your identical ethics. They will then love you and usually join your federation.

This is a classic trick for both Glorious Empires who want vassals and for DEMOCRATIC PIGSSSSS and their federations, feh.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: April 20, 2017, 06:52:52 pm »

Especialy with FE's waking up being a thing.

Well the issue is that the AI are very uncommon due to the exact conditions where they come into being AND the fact that for the most part the last upgrade of the AI tree can be a negative... and that even the AI don't like to build too many AIs. As well even if the player would like to force this scenario for fun, it isn't a great idea.

The other ones (who I forget the name of) require sooo much time to pass that you basically have to be wasting time in order to see them appear. I've beaten large galaxies at a leisurely pace before I even hit the time conditions for them to show up.

All while the Unbiden have two conditions... One that the AI goes for... and a second that is almost an absolute necessity for larger galaxies.

And then yeah there are awakened empires.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:57:33 pm by Neonivek »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: April 20, 2017, 08:45:33 pm »

This is a classic trick for both Glorious Empires who want vassals and for DEMOCRATIC PIGSSSSS and their federations, feh.

It's the first time I've tried pork voting since the game released. I realize now this is why I just discovered it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4660 on: April 21, 2017, 04:47:46 am »

I've only ever gotten the Swarm, never the Unbidden or the AI...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: April 21, 2017, 05:43:25 am »

AI and Unbidden are triggered by technology. Swarm is only triggered by time. So if you are really slow to reach certain technologies and nobody else does either, you get the swarm. Vanilla game is limited to one crisis, so having one locks out the others. Though I think Slaanesh is a sort of bonus crisis you can get on top of that.

There's a thought, birthing Slaanesh while there is another end-game crisis going on? Wonder how that'd mix with War in the Heavens?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:55 am »

AI and Unbidden are triggered by technology. Swarm is only triggered by time. So if you are really slow to reach certain technologies and nobody else does either, you get the swarm. Vanilla game is limited to one crisis, so having one locks out the others. Though I think Slaanesh is a sort of bonus crisis you can get on top of that.

There's a thought, birthing Slaanesh while there is another end-game crisis going on? Wonder how that'd mix with War in the Heavens?
I've only ever gotten the AI. Which was impressive, since the empire that caused it was getting warred by the local materialist FE non-stop.

Anyway, the End of the Cycle can indeed happen regardless of other crisis and does not prevent those if they haven't happened yet. The wiki seems to indicate that, unlike the other 3, it can't cause FEs to awaken.

EDIT: Looks like 1.6 is named after Adams.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:57:38 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: April 21, 2017, 10:24:17 am »

I think you need a certain tech distinct from regular terraforming tech.

If you already have that, then I don't know :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:17 am »

Question: How do you terraform terraforming candidates? I found one, and there's no "terraform" button or anything anywhere, science ships can't do it, and neither can construction ships.
You need the proper terraforming technology (I think you need terraforming, then atmospheric something). Also make sure you keep track of what planet has that modifier as the game refuses to save it for you.

When you have both, the terraform button on the planet will be clickable and you can change the type.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 632