Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687425 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6060 on: March 09, 2018, 04:12:27 pm »

Plus, it's pretty typical that major Paradox patches will break things on saves from previous versions.  The pop-up explicitly warning all users on game load is new, but bringing saves forward has not really been encouraged.  It, along with mod compatibility, is the big reason Paradox started using the Steam beta system to archive old builds of their games for player access as far as I understand the matter.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6061 on: March 09, 2018, 04:20:56 pm »

It's not like new update is not fun. It's fun, but still I think wormholes were fine. You paid with constant upkeep, restricted range (thus restricted surveys) and general vulnerablity of your FTL system (losing all wormholes literally means you can't FTL at least until you rebuild them, and the fact for every jump you have to go back to the wormhole system implied that you could get easily ambushed by enemy going after your wormhole systems - either you lose your FTL or run into them destroying your wormholes. The problem with static defences wasn't that there was no strategic depth to the map, but that they were quite literally shit - I could easily see it being balanced with wormholes since you literally still want starbases in most important planetary systems for economical and shipyard reasons and heck, you could even balance it out even more (making wormholes even worse, while they were already pretty much the worst FTL - but still apparently it being "frustrating" to play against is apparently an argument for it's removal) by making wormhole generator an starbase module, effectively limiting starbase modules for Wormhole civs by 1 in systems they want FTL travel from.

IMO it's just generally a step backwards. They removed something that made the game more interesting and while not neccesarily unique, it made it less "stock space 4X with hyperlanes".
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: March 09, 2018, 05:04:26 pm »

To be fair to the devs, it sounds like Wormhold FTL was removed in large part because it caused a lot of lag in the end-game. Moving over to hyper-lanes let them do a bunch of other stuff as well (like making choke-points a big deal and like), but if I recall the dev notes correctly a lot of this was fueled by them trying to solve the lag issue to begin with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: March 09, 2018, 05:14:55 pm »

Oi, does it matter which precursor chain you discover? Is there any substantial difference between the rewards?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: March 09, 2018, 05:41:15 pm »

Oi, does it matter which precursor chain you discover? Is there any substantial difference between the rewards?

The Cybrex has a better home world then some others. Not sure if there is any other major difference.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: March 09, 2018, 06:24:25 pm »

The Cybrex has a better home world then some others. Not sure if there is any other major difference.

Most of them are just big fat research and resource rewards, and some lore.

The Cybrex gives you crazy ring worlds and living metal. It's the best by far. Makes the others feel weak.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: March 09, 2018, 07:10:48 pm »

I think I'm going to try life seeded with either mechanist or barbaric despoilers. Seems like an easy way to get around the main problem of lifeseeded.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: March 09, 2018, 07:27:04 pm »

I've done it with droids, but I rushed the tech. One of my best civs, I ended up easily ahead of my neighbors in terms of military strength and tech.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6068 on: March 09, 2018, 08:25:56 pm »

I think I'm going to try life seeded with either mechanist or barbaric despoilers. Seems like an easy way to get around the main problem of lifeseeded.

It doesn't allow mechanist for some reason (not sure why). It doesn't take that long to get robots, though - the time saved isn't worth the loss of a civic anyway IMHO. You still have to get droids before you can colonize.

Starting on a 25 tile Gaia world is only really useful if you're planning on building tall. If you're going to rush right out and raid neighbors and take their people and colonize all the worlds, it's probably not worth the civic. The huge science production of a 25 tile Gaia homeworld without needing additional systems and planets can really get your tall game going, though.

IMO they need to move these two new civics (life seeded and post apocalyptic) to the "Starting Solar System" tab. Or have a new start section. Neither of those are really worth a civic - civics that could be getting you 10% more minerals or 15% unity or 15% naval capacity or -20% edict cost. It's a fun start and makes things quite different (and life seeded is good for crazy tall builds). Or if they were making a starting conditions tab, Syncretic Evolution and Mechanist could go there too and I'm sure they could come up with a lot of different starting states. Start as marauders, or nomads, or a lost colony, etc.

BTW, you can't gene mod the Gaia preference away - even with evolutionary mastery. So not only do you permanently lose a civic, but your main pop permanently gets -100% habitability for everything other than Gaia worlds, ringworlds, and habitats. A big trade off for starting on a 25 tile world.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:45:07 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: March 09, 2018, 09:28:51 pm »

I played Tall-ish, and only settled 2 planets (using droids). My homeworld was made of science, and the others supported it with power, food, and minerals. Everyone was inferior/pathetic to me before I had 2 ascension perks.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: March 09, 2018, 10:14:37 pm »

Bah, yeah, just noticed the counter-indication for Mechanist with Lifeseeded.

Instead of separating it into "starting civic" or moving it into solar system, just fucking delete all the bad civics. I hate that there are insanely generic civics like +10% minerals and -20% edict cost and +1 research alternatives.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: March 09, 2018, 10:16:21 pm »

Generic civics/traits are, like, 80% of them though. And many the 20% remaining are questionable too.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: March 10, 2018, 12:04:31 am »

To be fair...civics are meant to be a way to make your race more nuanced and not necessarily meant to be OP...I think they do pretty well especially if you want to RP or go for a specific path.

For instance having that extra research alternative sounds silly, but early game it can help you rush a certain path or set of technologies by giving you a higher chance to stumble upon something.

I tend to go with something like that early, then drop it later in favor of extra minerals or unity or what have you when +10% makes a sizable difference (and research alternatives are less important)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6073 on: March 10, 2018, 12:25:26 am »

Making every civic game changing like Life Seeded or Mechanist or Syncretic Evolution would take a lot of development effort. That or make the list of civics very short, lol. Most of them are flat bonuses that don't change gameplay much.

In other news, I just realized that with robot modding (the last time I got into the game seriously was way back in like July of last year before robomodding existed) and synthetics, your synths are better at everything no matter how specialized your biological pops are. Best possible biological pop with the ascended trait that gets +5% and the other that gets +15% on my energy producing habitat gives 12.13 energy. A synth with just the one + energy trait and the same happiness level, which I could do with basic tech and no ascension path, produces 12.72. On top of that I can easily throw on durable for -25% consumer goods usage. And they consume energy, which if I was machine ascended would get a big reduction in usage.

I love the roleplay of the biological ascension path, modifying my species and collecting other species that come to me as refugees and modifying them to fill certain roles. But mechanically, biological ascension sucks now in comparison lol. I'm almost better off just ignoring all ascension paths and using the two slots for cool ascension perks and just making migration illegal and building robots everywhere but the homeworld.

Makes me think I should play a synthetic race, lol.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: March 10, 2018, 04:07:10 pm »

I like the psionic ascension path best just because my conclave of telepaths is perpetually playing ding-dong-ditch with the End of the Cycle
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 632