Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679440 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6930 on: August 26, 2018, 12:11:04 pm »

Also in stellaris terms displaced pops CAN survive if there's an appropriate empire to receive them, but if not... Well. They just "disappear" into nothingness. Even if you don't count forced migration as genocide, displacement still will result in genocide almost all the time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6931 on: August 26, 2018, 12:13:02 pm »

With the reworked planet system in the next major update displacement will be less genocidal. Planets will only have soft pop caps rather than hard limits of planet size = num pops so accepting refugees will be a potential way to get immigration but could also lead to a refugee crisis as refugees flood your worlds beyond their capacity to employ and house

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6932 on: August 26, 2018, 01:55:13 pm »

I hope this means you can disgustingly overpopulated hive worlds that are just 100% of the planet's surface covered in kowloon walled cities

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: August 26, 2018, 02:01:19 pm »

It also means that genemodding pops to breed extremely quickly and then displacing them is going to be even more effective at hilariously crippling your opponents.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: August 26, 2018, 02:21:23 pm »

Growth in one pop at a time is kind of strange. Achieving good population dynamics that doesn't go bonkers over time is difficult. They would basically have to simulate it before they implement something definite.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: August 26, 2018, 04:18:25 pm »

I hope this means you can disgustingly overpopulated hive worlds that are just 100% of the planet's surface covered in kowloon walled cities

I see no reason why not. Any planet can have as many city/urban districts as it can hold, which is great because they provide the most housing per district too. Throw in as many housing requirement reducing civics, living standards and traits as you can get, and I see no reason why you can't have a population density to rival the Kowloon Walled City over the entire planet. I think that was explicitly a goal mentioned by the developers too.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: August 26, 2018, 04:23:22 pm »

As psychohistory confirms, Trantor is now an inevitability.

Its fall into a pastoral ruin is also an inevitability, but let's not go into details. 

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: August 26, 2018, 04:29:08 pm »

I see no reason why not. Any planet can have as many city/urban districts as it can hold, which is great because they provide the most housing per district too. Throw in as many housing requirement reducing civics, living standards and traits as you can get, and I see no reason why you can't have a population density to rival the Kowloon Walled City over the entire planet. I think that was explicitly a goal mentioned by the developers too.

Yeah, the whole idea of an ecumenopolis is well established in the sort of space opera lore that Stellaris is drawing from. Coruscant is probably the widest-known example, although its numbers are as messed up as anything in Star Wars.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: August 26, 2018, 04:45:25 pm »

It also means that genemodding pops to breed extremely quickly and then displacing them is going to be even more effective at hilariously crippling your opponents.
How have I not already done this? My xenophobic slavers are going to create a version of a slave race that's super fertile and terrible at everything, fill a planet with them and then mass deport to screw with those dirty xenophiles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6939 on: August 26, 2018, 04:51:57 pm »

How have I not already done this? My xenophobic slavers are going to create a version of a slave race that's super fertile and terrible at everything, fill a planet with them and then mass deport to screw with those dirty xenophiles.
Locust pops are good: But try one better. Make them fertile, utterly useless, solitary & charismatic. Unleash the galactic catsplosion of adorable, useless cats into every enemy Empire

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6940 on: August 26, 2018, 05:28:24 pm »

Sapient useless cats that cover the whole galaxy, becoming the most populous species while being utterly useless but adorable.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: August 26, 2018, 07:01:09 pm »

Ironically Humans are some of the best breeders in the game; since they spawn in with fixed traits and have a good home system.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: August 26, 2018, 07:15:38 pm »

They spawn with whatever traits you spawn them.

To clarify: you can create custom human empires with different species traits without them stopping being human. But Earth and Deneb humans will share traits when spawning, regardless of the nature of those traits, AFAIK.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: August 26, 2018, 07:20:16 pm »

Well yea, but out of the base game's presets humies are ridiculously quick to spread.  Adaptable is totes op, and their systems are stronger than generics.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: August 26, 2018, 08:17:57 pm »

Hmm, big changes, I'm sure they're as well thought out as the last few batches.

I'm going to keep waiting until it's a side scrolling beat 'em up, I expect that'll happen around version 5.
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 632