Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198363 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #2010 on: August 11, 2023, 04:39:56 am »

Also, I don't know Khan fully either, but he won me over with this UN speech, where he (IMHO correctly) spotlight how rich world happily houses the corrupt money and people from the poor world.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/4/pandora-papers-wealth-pakistan-pm-imran-khan-allies-military

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I fear that Imran Khan said one thing and did another, or at least looked the other way when his close allies did so.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 11, 2023, 05:15:37 am »

Argh, that is a darn shame.  :'(
I had such hope for finally finding what sounded like a somewhat honest politician.

Sic transit gloria mondi    >:(
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 11, 2023, 06:11:47 am »

I think if it was me who sought political office (the more, the higher-up) I'd be second-guessing whether to trust myself... Which is why I'd prefer sortition as a key part of any democratic reform (e.g. House Of Lords[1]), given how the pressures of attaining/retaining/regaining high office clearly is a corrupting factor that can change even the most blameless business mogul/otherwise privilidged person into the sorry state of affairs we see so often afflict those poor(/'rich') individuals once they've tasted their self-sought power...

[1] Perhaps a quarter still Life Peers (for continuity, can still be subselected to 'useful working peers' through selection/nomination from all those ellegible), a quarter appointed (ostensibly as a meritocracy, but with rigorous scrutiny over political decisions), a quarter elected (mainly because too many others want that, though I'd be content leaving that out and making it all thirds) and the final fraction as a multi-year "extended jury duty" (can be refused for rather broad reasons other than being coerced, but not deferred, and is how we reintroduce demarchy into the system without disproportionate ambition).

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 11, 2023, 06:22:22 am »

I'm sorry  :(

I am not aware enough of politics there so I can't give any advice. It seemed like there were some youthful participants of politics that may have been appealing, but again I don't know enough to speak on that with enough certainty to offer advice because no one has a monoply on saying one thing and doing another.

In response to Starver: I thought the House of Lords was not widely viewed with favor in the UK. Wasn't it being proposed for reforms recently? I know the US has a far more extensive system of legalized bribery than most in Europe, but do you think it may be more the wide variety of temptations allowed rather than the structure of a heavy share of elected officials? I haven't read much about the idea of sortition however. What are your thoughts on it's advantages and what pool would it pull from?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 11, 2023, 08:02:41 am »

(Note that I said Life Peers there, when I meant "those whose life has been inevitably that of a Peer", i.e. Hereditary. Which will certainly trigger those who dislike the "by accident of birth", but which I think of as not that different from "by accident of ballot", i.e. sortition. Except that they're not someone like a plumber suddenly invited to put their career/self-run business on hold, out of the blue, but having a good inkling of whether at some point they'd be possibly taking up their father's position and can plan ahead...)

Currently, the HoL is far from the "tyranny of birthright" that many assume (even assuming that's a given at all). The Hereditary Peers are a subset of those who might previously have sat, via the mechanism of a selectorate whittling down those who even wish to be considered... May not be perfect, but helps to deal with mere punch-clock attendees and skews definitely to the lordish equivalent of Royals Who Actually Do Something. Maybe not enough for some (whilst others are all "No. Just no. Dump 'em all!" and may not even be sure about the non-Hereditary ones either), but significant reform over my own lifetime has blunted most of the old arguments against their basic existence, even if some still think there are too many anachronisms there.

Life Peers (appointed) are a supposed-meritocracy and have been given the upper hand over the Hereditary(+subselection) cohort. It puts people with particularly distinguished careers into the role, as a reward for long and valuable contributions to society... at least theoretically. In reality, they are overwhelingly political gifts to almost anyone who can be advantageously raised to the position by the current political zeitgeist and many Life Peers have (or retain) a party affiliation. Really there should be more 'Cross Benchers' (truly unaffiliated, i.e. sitting on neither Left or Right (or Government-allied and titually Opposition, by whatever current mix of party trends), but taking the 'middle ground' red-leather seating in order to establish no party-allegiencs, or at least not declare any such bias), but that's what happens when it's political appointing and even the monarch is expected (after due dilligence by parliamentary committee(s)) to just rubber-stamp the whims of major party leaderships. - Depending upon how commited you are to the Party system (which I am not), and especially the current blend of parties in the Houses of Commons/Lords, you may or may not want more of these chaps/chapesses (at the expense of the above/below category) or to cull less of them (than the other types) when reducing their numbers from their current 'bloated' degree.

A sort of offshoot/exceptionof the appointed Life Peers (of the Lords Temporal) are the Lords Spiritual, basically Bishops/Archbishops of the Anglican church (in the UK and British isles, so excluding those of Sodor (Isle of Man, crown dependency), Gibraltar and the reast of the overseas anglican realm). These are a semi-automatic position given to those who attain Bishophood (and above) and for whom there is a seat made available. Other religious leaders (and retired Bishops, given Peerages in their own right upon stepping away from their Spiritual seat) can be Life Peers by appointment. Some might say there's no reason for any of these guys (all 'guys' at the moment, possibly, I ought to check; though the very next female (Arch-)Bishop was supposed to be put next in line for the next compatible Spiritual seat over the otherwise selective appointment system that would have usually had the church put forward their choice of bishops-in-waiting) to have any part in the Second House at all; ...usually when the ABofC says something about their favourite policy that they disagree with. Personally, I would make official the Spiritual entitlement of one or more Catholic/Islamic/Judaic/Sikh/Hindu(/Buddhist/Jaine/Druid... even Jedi, if it qualifies!) Lords with significant UK following of a recognisable faith, though of course this is another kettle of fish insofar as to which particular flavours (and subtones) of religion to so honour, and how much of a representative voice each is entitled once they're 'in the running'. Probably far more troublesome than 'merely' having to deal with (or do away with) the Hereditory positions. As a non-religious person myself, perhaps I should also tout for a "Humanist leader" included in that, but I suppose I imagine that there'll be a no-Spiritual element in the whole Temporal lot.

I describe myself not as a particularly pro-Monarchy person, but very definitely anti-Republican. So my reply to those who wish to see the Second House become another elected-only chamber is... "No. Just no. Not more self-promoting ballot-chasers, please no!!!. Right now, the HoL is (politically-loaded as it is) an often rather efficient "revising chamber" to whatever kak-handed policies the elected government would otherwise just rubber-stamp due to transient popularism lacking anything but short-term popularity-maintenance. You'd have to have a vastly different election cycle to maintain the thoughtful continuity across knee-jerk electoral drift based upon some national 'feeling' (of the vocal/voting minority), or else might as well just become unicamoral and do everything on the Green Benches of the Commons and forget about any of the useful attributes of the second chamber.

As to what is "widely viewed" in the UK. I suspect it's like the B-word. Even if there's a supposed majority to change the current situation, as sure as I'm not currently prancing around my bedroom (in just an ermine cloak and a cheesy grin) there's definitely going to be so many different ideas of how to change it, and not one that'll make people more happy than perhaps tweaking the present setup just a little as a sop to both traditionalists (who recognise room for improvement) and reformers (who can see that it's not all bad, when not incensed by some temporary issue that they vehemently disagree with the HoL on).

But you can probably find a lot of other very definite opinions that would disagree with even how I describe the opinions that are not my preference.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 11, 2023, 09:31:12 pm »

I'm fairly sure a change in government type just changes the type of shitbaggers in charge and how they get there.

A more fair electoral system's only real advantage is that less people have to die for a change of shitbaggers in charge. Which is an Amazing thing, once you think about it.

Also:

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: August 11, 2023, 09:36:49 pm »

As a Republican, the proof of Democrat deceit is amazing. Thank you.
I don't think a republican government would have done any different.
Dude, I still remember Bush W. You really don't have to keep shoving my face in Republican shit. His people probably had exactly the same sort of conversation with Pakistan.

But see, Democrats are also shitbags. They're ALL shitbags. Stop trying to cover for Democrat shitbaggers, or we'll never be free of them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 11, 2023, 09:40:02 pm »

All equals being equal, if you are free to shove people's face's in Democrat shit than other people are just as free to shove your face in Republican shit.

That aside, we seem to agree on most politicians being shitbags.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 11, 2023, 10:07:38 pm »

All equals being equal, if you are free to shove people's face's in Democrat shit than other people are just as free to shove your face in Republican shit.

That aside, we seem to agree on most politicians being shitbags.
You're probably unaware of this, but Republicans are portrayed as the "bad guys" (by their own words) 99% of the time, whereas Democrats are "slightly criticized" about 2% of the time. Articles such as this are RARE. It's why Conservatives don't trust the Mainstream Media.
But this is a bit of a tangent.

Also, I don't know Khan fully either, but he won me over with this UN speech, where he (IMHO correctly) spotlight how rich world happily houses the corrupt money and people from the poor world.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/4/pandora-papers-wealth-pakistan-pm-imran-khan-allies-military

I fear that Imran Khan said one thing and did another, or at least looked the other way when his close allies did so.
Yes, this is politics. Still, he was apparently at least a token supporter of free elections, and more importantly did not believe that the military should run the country. So small steps in the correct direction, even if just another shitbagger.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 11, 2023, 10:32:17 pm »

As a Republican, the proof of Democrat deceit is amazing. Thank you.
I don't think a republican government would have done any different.
Dude, I still remember Bush W. You really don't have to keep shoving my face in Republican shit. His people probably had exactly the same sort of conversation with Pakistan.

But see, Democrats are also shitbags. They're ALL shitbags. Stop trying to cover for Democrat shitbaggers, or we'll never be free of them.

He didn’t shove anything in your face.

Regardless, you’ll never be free of them anyway. The system begets this nonsense, and the only way it’ll change is from the inside by the people who benefit the most from keeping it the way it is.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 12, 2023, 06:05:55 am »

Also:
Show me an actual example of one of them (and not just someone who gladly raises their national flag in their front garden and goes all giddy in hyper-patriotic clothing at any event at which their favourite Head Of State is making an appearance - which, in the US, is pretty much likely to be the signs of a Republican) and we can perhaps talk terms on that.

You'll probably have to look to someone currently under the yoke of the House Of Saud (or, for a de facto version, the house of Kim) to find somewhere that has true monarchists under an actual monarchy. Thailand/etc may have particularly strong Lèse-majesté laws, but could it be that without them there would still be extreme deference? (Or are they just holding back the tide? We can perhaps look to Japan for how "God Emperor" figures can quickly become a ceremonial appendage, in contemporary times.) Like the Russian laws being particularly insistent that one should not doubt or defer from the line that it is a "special military operation", and of the squeaky clean (and overwhelmingly successful) operations of the Russian military and leadership.

(edit for tag-spilling)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 06:36:38 pm by Starver »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 12, 2023, 04:28:26 pm »

So you're saying that those british monarchists who call themselves monarchists aren't "actual" monarchists because the monarchy doesn't have any "real" power? How do you define real power, because they certainly have more power than common people.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 12, 2023, 06:17:04 pm »

Monarchs in parlamientary monsrchies still wield disproportionate personal power, even if politically their power is more indirect. You just have to start looking at any of these nation's laws to start finding funny little rules that allow them to get away with murder, sometimes literally.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 12, 2023, 06:57:12 pm »

I'm more saying that many a "monarchist" is really a "Patriot" who supports our particular version of monarchy. Which is overwhelmingly a figurehead inhabbitting a sort of themepark world of pomp and circumstance.

(There are perks but also obligations, and see post-Diana for what happens if they do things correctly (not raise a flag on a certain, because the flag (the Royal Standard) is only raised when the monarch is in residence) but not ho everyone thinks they should (since 1997 the Union Flag is raised whenever the Standard is not, and thus can be there to be half-masted on significant occasions).)

What's interesting is that there are also (they would assert, and I wouldn't argue) 'UK Patriots' who are also Republican. (And then "The Republicans" who are Irish Patriots, but let's not muddy that lot of water...)

I hazard a guess that there are 'neo-restorationists', too, who feel that we should return to full-fat monarchy. Honestly, I've got sympathy with the argument that politicians tend to spoil the political system we have, but I've already indicated which direction I'd rather go away from that mess. But, unless they're doing deep down plotting in the back rooms of private clubs or behind secret doors hidden in some disused east-wing of their second-favourite 'country cottage'/manor-house, I really don't know of much effort being put into that. Much less than the Just Stop (r)Oil(ty)-wannabees who it seems are going to be a feature of every future royal procession given any TV airtime...

Just from observation/experience, with probably some unchecked (cognitive?) bias of my own.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2024 on: August 31, 2023, 02:01:23 pm »

What reportedly happened to Sheikh Ali while he was being detained by 16 Israeli police officers during an alleged drug trafficking probe should offend anyone’s conscience to the core – no matter your nationality or faith.

He was blindfolded – a routine indignity that Israeli police inflict upon Palestinians to assert their impunity. They understand that they will not be held to account for what they do to Palestinians anywhere, at any time, for any reason.

All of the police officers – every one of them – either shut off or did not turn their body cameras on. These are the only conclusions that can be drawn from the failure of 16 Israeli police officers to abide by the law and enable the devices.

Sheikh Ali’s lawyer, Vadim Shub, insists he was beaten in custody – severely. A judge agreed, saying: “From the photos shown to me, it appears that the arrest was accompanied by severe violence.”

Judge Adi Bar Tal on Sunday ordered the measure, which is unusual for a suspected drug dealer who police say had resisted arrest, following an outcry over the handling of the suspect, 22-year-old Arwah Sheikh Ali from the Shuafat area in East Jerusalem.

The uproar followed a picture that emerged of bruises that looked like of the bottom part of a Star of David on the left cheek of Sheikh Ali. His lawyer, who said his client denies all charges, said that police tortured the 22-year-old and branded his face with a Star of David.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 164