Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 302121 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1440 on: November 10, 2021, 10:44:44 am »

The main thing I remember about playing the original DLC version of Tiny Tina's Dragon Keep, is using a melee-focused Zer0 and reaching a part of the story where I needed to fight flying dragons to progress. Which did not work out very well.

I appreciate a lot of things about the Borderlands series, but every entry seems to be plagued by critical oversights; little things that should have been easily remedied with a bit of forethought, but instead they end up holding back an otherwise 'great' game decisively in the 'kinda good' category.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: November 10, 2021, 10:57:16 am »

I'm playing with the guy that can deploy a machinegun as a support and out of a couple of areas i feel the game is very balanced so far.

From what i read in the original DLC you were supposed to be at a high level from the start.
But they rebalanced that in this standalone version as you start from level 1 and so far it seems to work good in the progression, so it seems that at least they have put some thoughts on this version.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: November 10, 2021, 02:34:30 pm »

The main thing I remember about playing the original DLC version of Tiny Tina's Dragon Keep, is using a melee-focused Zer0 and reaching a part of the story where I needed to fight flying dragons to progress. Which did not work out very well.

I appreciate a lot of things about the Borderlands series, but every entry seems to be plagued by critical oversights; little things that should have been easily remedied with a bit of forethought, but instead they end up holding back an otherwise 'great' game decisively in the 'kinda good' category.

Yeah. One of the very few good things about Middle-Earth:Shadow of War was that you could increase the level of loot. Being able to keep the cool thing you found makes you actually vaguely interested in the random loot you found, because it isn't obsolete ten minutes after you find it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: November 13, 2021, 05:33:26 am »

Finally completed that Tiny Tina's Dragon Keep freebie from the epic store.

For a "small scale" Borderlands (as it was originally only a DLC for Borderlands 2) there's still enough content packed in it to have 10 hours of gameplay if you don't grind (i ended the game in 12 hours) so enough to get this kind of "grind-loot" gameplay without the game "overstaying its welcome", keeping it fun until the end.
The humour (and the very good acting for the dialogue, at least in my language) really helps to go through it without feeling the repetition.

And the loot/various drops are more generous (probably to follow on the smaller size of the game in comparison to Borderlands), so you will get those eridium and seraph crystal very often.

It's just sad that the  later levels re-use enemies from past levels too much as until then every new maps discovered had their own type of opposition in them, fortunately all the maps look very different from each other to avoid the feeling of deja-vu.

All in all it's heavily recommended for something free, as with all the classes and their different skills and builds you have a good amount of replay value (there are some post-endgame content, but it's minor : an arena and a raid boss). 

Now when it will be out of the free week and back to being whatever price it was, i don't think it's anything other than a cash grab that you should avoid, and instead get a Borderlands game as you'll have a huge lot more content in the same type of gameplay.
There's a Tiny Tina much bigger game coming soon too ( Tiny Tina Wonderlands ) if the story and humour of this temporary freebie interested you.

Funny anecdote, the session of the D&D clone Tiny Tina and her friends are playing through the game campaign is named " Bunker & Badasses " and they got the idea to actually make a real version (though they have apparently tons of manufacturing/delivery problem with covid times so the thing is out of stock until the end of the year )
https://tinytinagames.com/

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:36:44 am by Robsoie »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: November 13, 2021, 03:10:56 pm »

I originally played through it as Krieg, and don't remember having much of an issue except for when I tried to take on the three optional raid boss dragons singlehandedly. ...I had to go and level up a bit first, then I did it.

Then again, Krieg can't die, so I can understand that mortal characters may have some difficulties along the way.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: November 13, 2021, 09:53:22 pm »

Cries in Maya
I mean every BL2 class has excellent support potential!  By design!  But being able to insta-rez my friends at a distance was maaaaybe more supportive than the Gunzerker's ability to bullshit more bullets into our guns.

Playing solo for a long time - Maya does okay since I can pause the minibosses, and also pull everyone nearby into an elemental nova of explosions.  But for actual bosses?  My primary ability just bites a little off the health bar.  It's a sizeable chunk, to be fair, but Maya is not especially good at the pick-up game (scoring a kill on a goon in order to gain a second wind <3 )
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: November 13, 2021, 10:17:34 pm »

Couldn't've been much worse than my Axton: Drop the turret whenever it's off CD and kite the boss around for half an hour.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: November 14, 2021, 06:02:16 am »

Doing a new run in Tiny Tina , this time i've been using the woman character that support ability is summoning a flying robot with mighty claws and laser beams.

Had a very hard time in the starting areas (the docks) due to extremely crappy guns until i finally got my first level and could finally get the robot summon and could finally get a breath when terminator was cutting down skeletons left and right for me.

Since then i discovered the "never reload manually your weapon and get anarchy points each kills" skill that makes her incredibly overpowered as those anarchy points never go away (unless you accidentally reload manually) and increase -vastly- the damage of every weapons

The hilariously good shotgun that shoot swords that explode into other swords (even the game tells you it's the best game because of this weapon :D ) kills bosses a very lot faster with her than when i was using the guy with his support turrets.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: November 14, 2021, 01:48:31 pm »

Yeah, Gaige can get pretty crazy. Especially later on when you've got more skills unlocked and effectively no longer need to aim, let alone consider reloading automatically. Meanwhile lil' fluffy robot man is still hamming it in center stage and shredding peeps.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: November 14, 2021, 02:46:14 pm »

I wonder if BL3 was designed for better single-player play.  I've only played as FL4K so far, whose pets are able to pick them up.  And their support abilities work on their pets (very well).
I don't know whether that's just FL4K or if the other characters have options for single-player.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: November 14, 2021, 05:52:20 pm »

how did i miss this? i started a new playthrough as a nomad male V to see what changed with the patches (performance is much improved for me) and modded it up a little, but while playing i got to the part in clouds where v can have a session with one of the workers (i got the female one) and last time i played though V went on about how he's dying but this time i got him to open up about losing the bakkers and meeting and losing jackie. its a really well crafted scene and narrative wise its beautiful: one family fractures only to find and lose another.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: November 14, 2021, 07:20:06 pm »

Doing a new run in Tiny Tina , this time i've been using the woman character that support ability is summoning a flying robot with mighty claws and laser beams.

Had a very hard time in the starting areas (the docks) due to extremely crappy guns until i finally got my first level and could finally get the robot summon and could finally get a breath when terminator was cutting down skeletons left and right for me.

Since then i discovered the "never reload manually your weapon and get anarchy points each kills" skill that makes her incredibly overpowered as those anarchy points never go away (unless you accidentally reload manually) and increase -vastly- the damage of every weapons

Yeah, like Kagus said, the Close Enough skill is great. Especially when you pick up a Class Mod that increases the skill level. The robot is also good enough stay alive while you recharge your shields, even if you never put other skills into it.

Edit to add: The achievements giving you (tiny) bonuses is nice if you want to replay as a character who is worse at solo play. Gunzerker and Mechanimist are both good solo, although mechanimist dies a *lot* even after getting Buck Up - the second level Best Friends skill that lets your robot fully recharge your shields. Anarchist Mechanimist is *not* a good sniper, though. I was sniping one of the 4 Stumpy (small ents) moving around. When I zoomed back out to reload, I had killed all except the one I was aiming at. Get an SMG or shotgun.

Also, I'm remembering how many jokes in the game were too edgelordy when they were new, and have aged badly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 02:33:59 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: November 15, 2021, 05:36:27 pm »

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Borderlands game themselves (as i can't say about the story there not having played the 2nd one for more than a couple of levels years ago with a nephew), but in the case of this Tiny Tina standalone the jokes aren't anything close to being "edgy", they're actually a lot of fun using the various D&D and nerdy cultures  tropes without taking itself seriously.

What surprised me a bit is how they tried to make the ending of Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (in comparison to how much humourous the whole story has been up to then) oddly very emotional (not going to spoil it but even without having played Borderlands 2 there are enough hints during the game that you understand where it's going in its ending) .

Anyways, completed it for the 2nd time already with the robot summoner woman (first time was with the man with the support turret) and again slightly more than 10hours, i think to avoid repetition this is very good that the game is not too long, as it allows you to replay with other characters without things feeling like a grueling long grind again and again.

In fact you don't really need to grind much as the game has been balanced differently than Borderlands 2 in term of loot and chance of good stuff (and you level up faster). Though i have only played in normal mode for now, not the higher unlocked difficulties.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 05:38:14 pm by Robsoie »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: November 16, 2021, 01:33:58 pm »

So, Guild Wars 1 is still a thing. Miraculously, we were gifted 10 skills in 2020, and there is tiny signs of life here and there. I picked it up because it looked like something that could be run on my x86 rasberry clone (it is). That was allmost a year ago... But somehow I picked it up again recently.

You know, back in the day, everybody I knew got guild wars 1 because it basically marketed itself like an mmorpg without subscription model. As an mmorpg substitute, it was not that outstanding. But nowadays, that I occasionally revisit old games, and judge them on their own merits, and do not weigh them against the whole market ecosystem of their time, I couldn't care less if you can't jump in guild wars 1 today. If you judge it as a classical tactic game à la heroes of might and magic, or x-com, or socom, or pillars of eternity, or neverwinter nights, it suddenly makes a lot more sense and seems more appealing as a product. Can't say I am not hooked right now, and there is like easily 400h of gameplay before you stand a chance of finishing all campaigs, my oldest char has like 560hours and they're like 2,2/4 campaigns done.

What surprises me is how active the reddit seems, maybe even more active than the dual universe reddit. I mean the barrier of entry is much lower and the game is much older so it kinda makes sense, but since in my head I mostly considered the game a failure it still feels odd. Feel free to pm if you want to add me, currently I am having a blast playing around with heroes (they weren't a thing in prophecies and I hardly played factions and nightfall and eye of the north), trying to really cheese a game that was meticulously designed to have equal power levels accross the board (there was a little power creep, but each campaign alone is kind of balanced). But the heroes do have their limitations, and I still remember the days were you had to play with humans, because with only henchmen this game was terribly difficult to beat. Nowadays one could probably beat the whole content with a team of heroes with the same skills throughout. But the last 5 missions of prophecies have me trying and tuning a lot allready, I dread factions  :D those zones are nasty.
let

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: November 16, 2021, 03:38:11 pm »

Can't say I am not hooked right now, and there is like easily 400h of gameplay before you stand a chance of finishing all campaigs, my oldest char has like 560hours and they're like 2,2/4 campaigns done.

I have several thousand hours on GW1 so my perspective is way off... But I have fond memories of speed running the campaigns. If you know what you're doing and have support, you could actually get through all the campaigns within the free trial periods for each campaign. So people were just rolling new characters, each with the trial duration, and repeat.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 168